News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if this scenerio was put in place I can't see the TTC being able to manage it due to its complexity. They can barely manage spacing between streetcars on most of the lines including ROWs.
I would guess that signalling would have to be upgraded and if we were to do that we might as well have train automation.

Congradulations Duncan,

You are the first to begin to get it. Your map isn't exact to what I have. There is only one change move one of your Southbound stops farther North.

The trains actually do move about twice as fast. In so doing, this is why they therefore immediately are only half full.

Less platform filling up time. More time travelling, and further better use of time when you do train fill.

Once again there would be only 4 stops from Finch.

4 stops from Kennedy

4 stops from Kipling

and 3 stops from Downsview.

You take your travel time as if you have no stops, then add

22 seconds to stop your train, add your average 15 second dwell and then add your 30 seconds to bring your train to full speed again. (for every stop add 67 seconds).

Finch to Yonge & Bloor becomes now 67 x 4 = 4.46 minutes
Time if travelling direct = 9.375 minutes

Total time from Finch to Yonge and Bloor NEW time IS NOW =13.835 MINUTES

Obviously not everyone goes to Yonge & Bloor, but probably 80% of all riders pass through or exchange at Yonge & Bloor or St. George.

The goal is to move the masses, as far as the rest, you add additional solutions if need be such as one connector bus going around a particular block running along Yonge or Bloor, to act as an additional service to assist those (relatively few) perhaps negatively affected.

Another example. Rosedale could have a specialized metropass say $40.00 a month for any one way useage leaving Rosedale.

The system could be set up 6 am to 9 pm. and also I have the going home express system too. Regular syncronization between 9pm and 4pm "regular serviece" and then the express home system 4pm to 6:00pm. and then back to normal.

Remember now. what ever time of day. One can leave any station and go to any station.

For 39 stations, absolutely nothing changes for you.

For some of the others, it is only one simple new change, do it once and you understand it from thereafter. There's nothing confusing about it. For those who have a change, once again, it will be faster to go to work, trains will be instantly faster, and all stations except for Rosedale, Summerhill and Bathurst would be possitively affected.

For those who don't like having to cross the platform and then have the "rocket speed express train". Can choose to take the bus instead or the car, or the go train. There was a day that nobody recylcled. Now we just cannot wait or get enough in the recycle bins. It feels good to help our environment.

We all have to stop being selfish in our thinking......the bigger picture is there is twice as much room to move people by mass transit.

And those now using the system will be able to breathe for the first time, until full capacity is reached all over again.

There is added capacity room for 494,000 "NEW" passengers every morning.

How many extra people can you fit on the subway as we speak?

As far as the platform safety. The safety can likely be implemented in less than 6 months. If it was considered an urgent matter, this new transit method and safety could be opperational in probably 3 months.

Informative commercials would likely begin immediately over the 3 months.

This is good for drivers too! Now they will eventually have hopefully 400,000 or more less cars on the road to sit behind. HMMM.

Sharon.

Sharon, please post your maps, or make some so people can understand more clearly what you mean. A picture is worth a thousand words. (your last post alone was well over 500). Google Maps is really a wonderful thing.

Alright, so if I'm correct, AM peak service on the Yonge line should look something like this:

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=112509077600247168599.00047c8518648b54112b7&ll=43.708586,-79.400597&spn=0.185139,0.349846&z=12

Its certainly an interesting idea for a stop-gap measure but we really need to get automatic train control on the Yonge line as soon as possible so we can maintain local service in the peak direction during peak hours

Will stations like yonge-eglinton, and yonge-bloor be able to handle the additional transfers?

Oh, and by the way, this visualization took 10 minutes to make.

I don't think it was hard to visualize what Sharon was proposing. What we are having a tough time with is how this is going to get pulled off. How do you do this without one train running into the one in front of it (there are no express tracks)?

I think the idea is ludicrous because it vastly increases the complexity of the system. Can you imagine teaching all of Toronto to use such a system, especially without deploying express platforms? Good luck with that.

How would this method result in half-full trains exactly? Wouldn't your method just cause riders to needlessly transfer trains?

If you get on a train at Davisville it would take you to Eglinton, where you would need to transfer onto a Southbound train. This train would have passengers from all other stations north of the station since all that is being accomplished is creating crush loads at the 'express stops'.

From the map posted; St. Clair would handle loads from St. Clair, Rosedale and Summerhill.
Eglinton would handle Davisville and Eglinton, etc!

Yeah, I understand the skipping stops bit, but again...how are trains half full now? Where is this added capacity coming from?

Granted, trains will be averaging higher speeds, but that doesn't mean higher throughput. This plan doesn't increase frequency, it would actually lower it if anything due to the higher speeds. Trains would complete a circuit faster, but their interval wouldn't change. So if the same number of trains are passing in a given hour, where is this new capacity? Think about that for a minute.

Not that I think the TTC will ever implement this, but all trains would have stop at St. Clair to make this work. It would be too inconvenient making people who get on at Rosedale, Summerhill or St.Clair go up to Eglinton to go south again.

Some of you are starting the get it.

All trains pass through a given point at a higher rate of frequency.

Yes, that too, Trains achieve a much higher average speed.

It's like if the car in front of you mantains 80 you too maintain 80.
If the car is stop and go all the time, or stop and wait, and wait, and go and stop and wait, and wait, and creep and go, etc. It will take you a long time to go to work. Traffic, in this case in MOVING.

Yes there is about a 1 to 2 minutes inconvenience for relatively "few" passengers in the big sceme of things, but still that Davisville passenger, did get to work faster, did get a set for 1/4 of his trip, he or she did help our environment, and all that person had to do is get out of one train, walk 30 feet to the other platform edge wait probably an average of 50 seconds and away they go again.

Trains are only Half full, since twice as many trains reach Yonge & Bloor as they did previously. Less Platform filling time also accounts for some of that.Certainly no delay surprises, or standing on the platform witness a horrible death will be stopped. Wait till it happens to you and see how you are affected.
I'm sorry I can not post my maps at this time. It may even be posted in the Star. Remember "little" me is up against the "pride" and "shame" for not fixing these things themselves. My strategy needs to be professional and timely.
Your reactions and comments are each helpful. All of us together are putting this together.
But it does all come down to SAFETY IS THE KEY TO EFFICIENCY. And that safety is available TODAY, and for a fraction of the traditional cost. Since there is only one method, their cost is outrageous. 10 million a station. Using basically the same product with a different function and purpose and novel usefulness, and uniqueness, my unique layout and material cost could be as little as $300,000 a station....or less.
Sharon.

And those now using the system will be able to breathe for the first time, until full capacity is reached all over again.

There is added capacity room for 494,000 "NEW" passengers every morning.

How many extra people can you fit on the subway as we speak?

Aside from the fact you still haven't answered my question comparing the travel time from Davisville to College via the current system and via your proposed system, your math here is still flawed.

It doesn't matter how fast trains actually travel, capacity is determined by how many can pass through a given station in a given time period. If the TTC can have a train arriving at say, Eglinton, every 2 minutes (with assumed capacity of 1000 passengers), they will still be able to move 30,000 people an hour regardless of whether those trains are flying at 70 km/h straight to Bloor or whether they are crawling at 10 km/h.

The limiting factor is train spacing, not speed as you seem to think it is. With the current system with manual train control, safety reasons limits how close they can run trains.

With ATO, they will be able to decrease that headway. Notice how they talk about headway, not speed, since that is the control on capacity.

They could move far more passengers if they ran trains 30 seconds apart, but moving only 10km/h, than if they ran them 1:30 apart but at 100 km/h.

The fact you do not appear to understand that suggests to me that these meetings you claim to have had with transit brass never happened as this is such a fundamental piece of your proposal and so obvious to anyone at all familiar with transportation, that they surely would have raised it with you at some point during any discussion longer than 3 minutes.

Further, the fact that all your previous postings in the fall, including early posts that have been deleted (but saved in the quoted responses from others) as well as related pieces in various media outlets, dealt exclusively with platform barriers and had no mention whatsoever of express trains, skipping stations or travelling in reverse directions, further implies some fantasy with regards to recognition from official sources as your proposal has gone off on a completely different tangent from the original argument.

Once again, a very simple request, without all the repeated lines glorifying the wonders of your proposal, please provide the substance of an actual trip breakdown from Davisville to College using the current system and then your proposed system. We can worry about the flaws in the capacity calculations afterwards.

Efficiency was proported from the beginning.
My first letter to the Commissioners on July 29th, 2008, I proported that I could create a capacity improvement of 133% and I included a map as well.

I just never included a description, any description as to how to do the efficiency component of the invention. Nobody asked and nobody granted me a meeting and I choose to not divuldge it at that time.

You now know why? 1. I am seen as being crazy, and 2. It would not be believed.

I have had to learn the entire train industry as an outsider. I am not an engineer, in fact I have never been to college or university. but it is true all that I have said about their reactions and further meetings to come.

The key to innovation is, whatever the pending obsticle or "new" pinch point, you must discover it, you must learn it thoroughly, and you must solve it. For the most part I believe I have done all three. Every question or concern you have, I have walked down the path for each solution.

That was my innovation for Yonge & Bloor. For 67 years, TTC never fixed that. I brought the solution to them, and I will not comment on any particular other details.

Yes, automotic train control may be the necessary piece to make my plan perfect, but actually I have thought through the "hows" and the "whys" as to where capacity improvement will be huge even without it. Infact atc only proports to improve capacity by 26%. I proported if all goes as I presume as an 'outsider" to have figured out will be 203%. If there is a hole in it. You fix it.
The only main obsticle I see, which would require one operational change. To go back to the 1980's for ONE STATION ONLY, and allow the FULL stop and creep procedure at Yonge & Bloor. With this reversion of procedure for one station I believe 203% capacity improvement is possible even without atc.
I brought a solution for the long turnaround times at the station ends too. But was told this has been fixed. How many years did it take for that to be figured out????????? For all I know this may have been solved since July 29th, 2008.

The words told to me by 3 separate meetings were. "This is fundamentally sound." I was told "I was right". I was told "There are no flaws, that I see". "I don't see anything wrong with this".
This was my first professional feedback after 20 months of work, day and night.
My heart and my compassion has been my engine. Anybody else would have gave up or quit after my first of several response letters from TTC.
Sharon.

My heart and my compassion has been my engine. Anybody else would have gave up or quit after my first of several response letters from TTC.

So why can you not provide a simple comparison of the trip times from Davisville to College with the current system and your proposed system?

I gave my guesstimate, which shows 30% longer travel times. You claim otherwise but haven't demonstrated why. It is telling that you haven't done so.

Davisville to College

My method Eglinton, Bloor, Wellesley, College = 4 stops.

Old method, St. Clair, Summerhill, Rosedale, Bloor, Wellesly, College = 6 stops
Sharon.

Yeah,

I too am starting to believe that either Sharon is delusional or the TTC personnel who gave their taxpayer funded time are. Though, if their math is as bad as Sharon's it might explain some of the problems we have!

The simple truth is that the TTC is not going to make such a radical change in transit operations just to gain some slight improvement in travel times. They'd risk losing a good chunk of their ridership who would be pissed off because of newly imposed transfers, longer wait times (for express trains) and just all around increased complexity.

And that's all assuming this quack academic exercise is feasible. Sharon has yet to demonstrate how she can, so dramatically, shrink headways and why the trains would suddenly be half as crowded. Simple logic would suggest that express and local trains can't coexist on the same track without some serious issues (like bunching for example). It's extremely naive to think that stop and creep would solve all these problems. Yeah, I am really sure that all those engineers at the TTC with years spent studying transit and network management problems missed something so fundamental.

And every time Sharon is challenged, she simply launches into rhetoric about some theoretical increase in capacity that's stratospheric and then gives us some guilt trip over not caring about subway suicides. If the TTC gives her another meeting, I am going to start pressing for meetings too just so they can waste their time on me. I mean, at least, have a discussion with an engineer if you want to waste your time then with someone who pretends to practice engineering without the training, expertise or care that comes with the profession.

Can we vote her off the Island? She's wasting our time the same way she wasted the time of the Dragons and the TTC staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back