8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asterix,
It's hard to have specific answers to everything. 5 minutes was a quick quess, it is more likely closer to 3 to 3.5 minutes from Eglinton to College direct.

It's not hard to do a quick guesstimate.

It is 4km from Eglinton to Bloor. You have that running express, so peak train speed of 70 km/h makes 5 minutes a reasonable time estimate, including acceleration and deceleration.

It is another approximately 1km to College, so there is no way you can even expect to run an express train from Eglinton straight to College in 3 to 3.5 minutes. And that is assuming you now plan to skip Bloor and Wellesley stations. Your math is fundamentally wrong.

I'm really asking a simple question. Please provide a comparison between the current system and your proposed system for a passenger travelling from Davisville to College, broken down into stages, as I did.

Sharon.

What happens on the Western leg of the YUS? So far you've only spoken about the Yonge portion of the system (with some mention of the B-D line). Do trains travelling north from Spadina switch to local service or switch to express. Do trains leaving Downsview southbound travel express (I assume they do)? Then they revert to local north of Bloor I assume?

How do you prevent bunching up of express trains behind local trains?

How does moving more passengers to express stations create half full trains? Are you nesting routes? How will the express stations handle the influx of passengers?

How do you tell a rider who just got off the bus that he now has to travel north and make another transfer in order to complete his trip? We might as well reroute all the bus routes to serve only the express stations then. Imagine the bus traffic!

And last but most importantly. What does this have to do with your initial directional passenger flow proposal for Bloor/Yonge station?

You have to do the math on a large scale.

No, you have to also do the math on the smaller scales since many of your passengers are doing smaller trips from non-express stations.

For a short trip time would may or may not be in half.

Actually, until you demonstrate otherwise, it appears shorter trips are going to be longer, possibly significantly longer, with your proposal.

If you drove direct with no stops it would take 35.76 minutes over the 52.46 kilometre trip.

By my math, 52.46km at max train speed of 70km/h gives a 45 minute trip. But then how many of your passengers are travelling from Kipling to Kennedy or Kennedy to Kipling with no interest in any of the stops in between?

Today it would take 210 minutes to go in two directions.

I see someone else has already questioned where this current number came from. Do you have the TTC scheduling information to back up this claim or did you just make it up?

That's a 203 % capacity improvement potential.

Actually no, it is only a theoretical 203% trip time improvement. Capacity can only be improved by increasing train frequency, not train speed. The primary way to do that is to run them closer together, regardless of how fast they are going.

All inventors are not necessarily engineers. This is why I needed a meeting.

But if the inventors do not understand basic engineering principles or basic math (such as the difference between train speed and line capacity), then meetings are going to be a complete waste because ideas can not be explained coherently or even shown to be correct.

Asterix,
It's hard to have specific answers to everything. 5 minutes was a quick quess, it is more likely closer to 3 to 3.5 minutes from Eglinton to College direct.

Keithz,

I'm sorry but you haven't got it yet, and that's okay. Without a map, this is hard to get.

Gotta go now.
Sharon.

Evasion. No simple answer to mine or Asterix's questions. So she says we don't get it and bails out. And then she wonders why nobody takes her seriously.

Sharon.

What happens on the Western leg of the YUS? So far you've only spoken about the Yonge portion of the system (with some mention of the B-D line). Do trains travelling north from Spadina switch to local service or switch to express. Do trains leaving Downsview southbound travel express (I assume they do)? Then they revert to local north of Bloor I assume?

How do you prevent bunching up of express trains behind local trains?

I believe the idea is that for the AM peak you have express service southbound but that train becomes local south of Bloor till Downsview. And on the western leg of the YUS, you have express service southbound which becomes local from Spadina onwards, till Finch.

However, all I see is an exacerbation of the current choke points like Y/B and Spadina. Her solution to this is to bring back 'stop and creep' as some magic cure and subway barriers (with flow separation as pointed out earlier) to prevent any sort of track interference.

That's a whole lot of assumptions and wholesale change of Toronto's transit operations that isn't likely to get anywhere beyond this forum and Sharon's head.

Honestly, the best way to respond to Sharon's evasiveness is to not respond at all.

I think that all of you have provided an excellent, and constructive criticism. The bottom line appears to be that, even if this idea did work from an operational perspective -- And, anecdotally, it does not appear to -- It would ultimately fail from the practical, and political, perspective that it isn't sellable to TTC riders.

Sharon can choose to come back with a map and some bonafide calculations if she desires. If she doesn't want to, well, that's her decision. I'm certain that you all have busy lives whether you are working or are in school. Don't waste any more of your valuable time trying to elicit proper responses from someone who obviously doesn't want to provide them.

Honestly, the best way to respond to Sharon's evasiveness is to not respond at all.

I think that all of you have provided an excellent, and constructive criticism. The bottom line appears to be that, even if this idea did work from an operational perspective -- And, anecdotally, it does not appear to -- It would ultimately fail from the practical, and political, perspective that it isn't sellable to TTC riders.

Sharon can choose to come back with a map and some bonafide calculations if she desires. If she doesn't want to, well, that's her decision. I'm certain that you all have busy lives whether you are working or are in school. Don't waste any more of your valuable time trying to elicit proper responses from someone who obviously doesn't want to provide them.

But pointing out logical fallacies is soooo much fun!!

For fun, I ran the numbers for my usual lansdowne-bathurst trip using this bizarre system
-70km/h running speed, added 67s per station :)confused:), and 45s waiting for train at boardings

New "fast" way
lansdowne <- dundas w -> dufferin -> spadina <- bathurst
5.6 km = 4.8 min + 5 stations + 3 boardings = 12m38s

Current "slow" way
lansdowne -> dufferin -> ossington -> christie -> bathurst
2.7 km = 2.3 min + 5 stations + 1 boarding = 8m38s

I'm starting to understand why the trains are only half full! ;)

I have actually 3 products:

1. Platform Safety - At a fraction of the traditional cost (from about 10 million per station to about $500,000 per station or less)... and without the need for Automatic Train Control.

2. Platform Safety - Offering the unique and special function and purpose of "separating passenger flow" for single sided platforms. Designs for lowering dwell times for a place like Yonge & Bloor.

My invention began as sort of a "simple" minded approach to "you gotta be able to do it cheaper than that?.........This began my path in April 2008. While building 15 prototypes, including 3 lifesize ones. I have discovered and learned many things along the journey.

and 3. Efficiency Designs and Operational Opportunities that happed to only be available "with" platform safety.

Station skipping, going to work in the opposite direction, become certainly "outside the box" thinking, but that what began this whole thing in the first place................figuring out how to fix something that no one anyone in the world has fixed. .....(that terrible, dwell delaying train door transfer point).

It is not for me to decide, any of you to decide, but the powers at large.
If I have created something, that moves more of the masses, creates newly found income otherwise not achieveable with just trying it out.

Perhaps a few will not like it, but I am guessing about 90 % will be delightfully pleased, that number may even be higher.

The alternative is building extended lines, that fix nothing, or building 4 separate express train lines, that will cost maybe 20 to 40 billion who knows.

I think i am on to something, and I'm not the one to decide. All I can say is that I had 3 extremely possitive meetings, with no negative comments or feedback.

The only feedback is that a proper marketing firm would need to be hired. This is obvious.

And second one suggested I use a lower figure than $2.75, while at my 3rd meeting it was suggested i use $3.00. Go figure. You can't win with everyone. Nothing was said negatively about the design, the map, the concept, or the safety, the capacity improvement numbers, just the fare price.
I was even offered an open invitation to use a board room any time I needed. If that's not a compliment, I don't know what is.
Believe me, I wish someone could quickly prove me wrong, so that I could get my life back.
I trust at the secondary phase of meetings, I will then have even a better idea of things.
Sharon, one truly passionate about people lives, and that terrible commute by subway that hasn't changed since I did it 25 years ago.
I actually shook the hand of a blind person who accidently went into the pit. I have met drivers who have killed people, I have met a TTC supervisor who put fingers, feet etc, numbers in a bag, I have met grieving families. I even met a person who football tackled someone to save a suicide person and near rolled in himself.
That open pit is the real issue, Efficiency just might additionally come because safety which is now available today without needing atc.

"Believe me, I wish someone could quickly prove me wrong, so that I could get my life back."

1. But it is not $500000 per station. All the engineering and safety considerations exist for a reason.

2. While I like the idea of having separate in and out doors (and it can be done without barriers), it is very problematic in practice. People don't even move to the middle of the train, how and why do you expect them to move to a different door, especially during crush loads.

3. Just because something is "outside the box thinking" doesn't make it good thinking. It's not technically feasible, nor is it politically feasible. I don't find it very desirable either as it benefits suburbanites more than city people.

Last edited:
Absolutely, more often than not....."outside the box thinking", is not a "good thing"............it is too "outside", or just down right, not a good thing.

Flying was considered way "outside the box", it had much skeptisism, but we are flying today.

I am not the one to say definatively that "I am right", or "this is a good thing", it is just that I continue to have a "green light" and "when I get a red light, it is either because of pride, or ignorance, or politics, or even discrimmination". I am the only one for now that knows the "whole storey".

As far as I can tell, for now it is a "green light", until I am shown otherwise in a professional manner.

One thing we know today. I was right with regards to Yonge & Bloor. I just need a proper answer on the efficiency "component", and also on the "platform safety" alternative answers. I am not there yet, but these answers will be soon coming.

My guess is for sure I will be also right on the "platform safety" cost effective alternative. As far as the efficiency stuff, parts of it may or may not be used, or with further outside consultant analysis, - a "fair" analysis, I may be also right on the efficiency stuff too, with of course some alterations where certain buses would be altered to go direct to the station going direct to downtown.
Minor bus route changes, is nothing compared to the big sceme of moving such larger masses.
The last time TTC referred me to an outside consultant firm, a "fair response" was not provided. I have been referred back to TTC now by several other sources. I wouldn't be continually referred if I hadn't created a potentially valuable solutions. And don't say I continally referred cause no one wants to deal with me, come on. This is about the bigger picture. (About people lives, livehood, health, our environment, people's time, stress, comfort etc.) I not doing this because I want to. I doing this because I am following my heart of conviction. I don't have to do the subways like millions of other, remember, I'm from a small town, my longest commute is 3 minutes. I do have better things to do with my time. It's kind of like if you discovered a remedy for cancer, Lord, we all wish we could do that, anyway, you cannot stay silent if you have created something you think is big. I used to be in sales, had my Real Estate Brokers Licence, ran my own office and one thing I do believe, a product if it has value must be sold. If I just said , here take it, nothing would happen. This is part of human nature. In fact, long ago, when this first began, TTC asked me to patent it prior to coming to them. They did not know how to handle or what to do with a new invention or idea. There is no innovation department at TTC, or no passenger flow anaysis department for me to directly go to.
Sharon.

Forgive my missing words, spelling errors etc.

I had a severe car accident December 5th, with a concussion. My writing and concentration isn't what it normally is. Totalled 2 cars riding on ice. Not pretty.:(

Sharon.

I put some data into my old dusty UNIVAC I and crunched the numbers.
Well, it's obvious, not everybody will like sharon's 'express' method.
Those, who boards at 'express' stations and goes to 'express' stations will win. Totally win.
Everyone else... That's not for everyone else.

Finch - Bloor-Yonge
Classic: 12.64(7.58) km | 41 km/h | 18m30s 20m0s 21m30s
Express: 12.64(10.11) km | 51.7 km/h | 14m40s 16m10s 17m40s

Finch - Union
Classic: 15.75(7.66) km | 36.7 km/h | 25m46s 27m16s 28m46s
Express: 15.75(10.19) km | 43.1 km/h | 21m56s 23m26s 24m56s

Downsview - St George
Classic: 10.9(6.35) km | 40.2 km/h | 16m15s 17m45s 19m15s
Express: 10.9(7.87) km | 46.9 km/h | 13m57s 15m27s 16m57s

Downsview - Union
Classic: 14.03(6.45) km | 35.8 km/h | 23m32s 25m2s 26m32s
Express: 14.03(7.96) km | 39.7 km/h | 21m13s 22m43s 24m13s

North York Centre - York Mills
Classic: 2.9(1.89) km | 43.3 km/h | 4m1s 5m31s 7m1s
Express: 9.92(7.9) km | 51.5 km/h | 11m34s 16m4s 20m34s

Davisville - College
Classic: 4.23(1.2) km | 30.8 km/h | 8m14s 9m44s 11m14s
Express: 6.23(3.7) km | 40.8 km/h | 9m10s 12m10s 15m10s

Data used:
Stations to be skipped in the 'express' mode - North York Centre, York Mills, Davisville, Summerhill, Rosedale, Wilson, Glencairn, Dupont.
Max. speed - 70 km/h, acceleration - 30 sec., deceleration - 22 sec.
Boarding at each station - 20 sec.
Headway - 3 min.

Data shown:
trip distance (distance at max. speed) | avg. speed for min. trip time | trip time: min, avg, max.

Last edited:
Now I have 4 direct highly credible referrals to Mr. Gary Webster, the Chief Manager of the TTC.

Also a key Federal Government Director also is flying to Toronto to meet with me.

My mission and journey will not be ended until I receive professional and unbiased documentation which will be able to put my work to rest.

Quite honestly, I don't think it is possible to prove my theories as unbenficial for the "masses". It is called "mass" transit the last time I checked.

As far as the few that there are minor inconveniences for, these can be solved with slight bus route changes.

Sharon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back