News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

It's effectively the same plan that was in place when Doug Ford Sr. was an MPP (Sheppard to SCC). Of course, we also know that conservatives at that time weren't thrilled with the plan (as demonstrated by it being underfunded).

Interesting part is between the added SSE stations at the curve back west, it also delays SSE significantly. Significantly enough that there will be only minimal funding required by Ford for Scarborough during his entire first term because there will not be a construction contract tendered.

Ford's 2022 election campaign will also be about building a subway in Scarborough. It'll be interesting to see how many times Scarborough elects a Ford based on that promise.
We should thus extend the B-D to Sheppard or Finch so that the loop at STC can't be done.

It's effectively the same plan that was in place when Doug Ford Sr. was an MPP (Sheppard to SCC). Of course, we also know that conservatives at that time weren't thrilled with the plan (as demonstrated by it being underfunded).

Interesting part is between the added SSE stations at the curve back west, it also delays SSE significantly. Significantly enough that there will be only minimal funding required by Ford for Scarborough during his entire first term because there will not be a construction contract tendered.

Ford's 2022 election campaign will also be about building a subway in Scarborough. It'll be interesting to see how many times Scarborough elects a Ford based on that promise.

Even without the Sheppard subway moving forward he's the only candidate offering to build stops with the subway, I'd say his support will be safe in Scarborough for along time to come. I don't think the delays will be all that significant if they amend the contract to extend to the SSE to Sheppard and design in the stops. The Sheppard extension can be designed around it

Last edited:
If the respect of a lying, wilfully ignorant, buffoonish former drug dealer is what Scarborough wants, Scarborough can have it.

OMG, you all are so hypocritical. You're probably of the same mindset as Justin Trudeau that hash should be legalized yet can't get over incredulous allegations made against Ford from 30 years ago?

Anything to discredit the only leader that has not taken the eastern suburbs for granted unlike the Liberals and the pro-NDP agenda City administration under David Miller which Horwath would likely ressurect, I guess.

Even without the Sheppard subway moving forward he's the only candidate offering to build stops with the subway, I'd say his support will be safe in Scarborough for along time to come. I don't think the delays will be all that significant if they amend the contract to extend to the SSE to Sheppard and design in the stops. The Sheppard extension can be designed around it

Ford is a City builder, not extinguisher. He has ties to Chicagoland and wants our rapid transit system to rival their's even if he has to drag the naysayers and backbiters along for the ride.

Ford is a City builder, not extinguisher. He has ties to Chicagoland and wants our rapid transit system to rival their's even if he has to drag the naysayers and backbiters along for the ride.

I hope you're right.

His actions as councillor (voting to defer bus garage expansion, service reductions, etc.) do not give me the same confidence as they give you.

With luck during the 2022 election RER is well into construction, DRL short is tendered, DRL long design is being finalized, and Metrolinx is signing construction for various bits of Scarborough subway stuff. I won't be putting any money on that bet though.

Last edited:

Both the subway backbone connecting our future growth nodes Centres and Dowtown relief is far overdue. The people that live in the larger surrounding areas for the most part heavily agree. If it wasn't for the Fords politics i highly doubt the Liberal or NDP would be so vocal on the relief line as they are now

As far as the Province is concerned Ford has his transit priorities correct. The City can prioritize the surrounding local streetcar,LRT and bus improvements on its own and stop playing games against residents in outter wards. Roadblocking a connected LRT, above ground subway, from day one when the transfers were called and voting out the final intermediate stops on the latest SSE was the last straw to take major arterial planning out of the City hands and this over the over the top love affair for transfer LRT inturn gives Ford a huge boost in support. With such a heavily supported solid plan the naysayers are his biggest campaigners In this City.

Last edited:

City builders recognize you actually have to pay for this stuff. Ford’s talked good game about building transit, yet hasn’t produced a plan on how to build any of it.

One way to build it is to talk less and build more. The lead-up and consultation and delay costs something too. Everything costs more in the future.

There will be plenty of comments in the transit funding threads. Prepare for a very adult discussion on the size of government. Topics for discussion:

1. A serious look at single-payer health-care. France has excellent universal care. But not single payer. Health is the largest line item in the budget. If transit - also a universal benefit is to receive a larger share of the pie - where shall that come from?
2. Means tested senior health benefits. The PC platform refers to dental care for lower income seniors only.
3. A thorough review of government operations. Won't find $6.0B, but it might find some bits and pieces.
4. A serious look at de-politicizing the cost of electricity.
5. A good look at why certain capital projects cost what they do. Even in these hallowed halls, we have read the Spanish and European studies on what a km of subway costs. And lo-and-behold, we are bench-marking high.

Ontario should have a great private sector economy - finance, manufacturing, Amazon??? - and a world-leading transparent and effective government to support that.

Mods - feel free to move the post.

City builders recognize you actually have to pay for this stuff. Ford’s talked good game about building transit, yet hasn’t produced a plan on how to build any of it.

Karen Stintz was a fantastic city builder. Look at all the transit she talked about building!

onecity.jpg

Attachments

• onecity.jpg
    onecity.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 876
Karen Stintz was a fantastic city builder. Look at all the transit she talked about building!

View attachment 145839
The only things not on everyone's lists are the eastern part of the Finch LRT - Finch West to Finch, and the BRT options. The rest of the rail options shown here are very much in process or in the queue.

Perhaps best of all, one way or another, transit in the city and the region is a top-level concern. That is a huge improvement on the past 30 years.

As opposed to the other parties? The Province hasnt planned for funding any plans efficiently at any point. There was never a plan by any level of Government or City builders of the past. Fords transit plan is far more pallatable then corner cutting transfer LRT or subways without stops at a time when the window to play kick ball on transit is quickly coming to an end. They won't last long without signs of progress in this climate.

Are you kidding me? We're literally building, and paying for, more transit than ever before.

Absolutely nothing to do with what I said. It is still a "build as we go" mentality for all parties There is no sustainable funding plan at any level. Just because you can find ways to cut corners by hacking in lines doesn't solve the problem in the bigger picture. It actually can create more problems and cost more when local residents really don't support the plan.

Anyhow Im also happy the Liberals got the ball rolling, even with their flakiness at time they did a lot to keep transit moving forward. Both the Conservative and NDP come with unkown question marks. I prefer to see a plan with no risk of cutting corners and adds stops move forward.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? We're literally building, and paying for, more transit than ever before.

Ha! Is this the 1960s when we built 25 subway stations in under five years?

I know everybody is clamoring to pat each other on the back and look back with rose-tinted glasses now that it's apparent to the world post-news conference that the Liberals are about to be taken behind the shed, but this takes the cake.

Back