News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Should Ford win again, he will again be talking about Sheppard subway but will never make it actually happen. He can pull that trick multiple times if the voters let him do so.

Of course, I hope he won't win this time.

Indeed; though knowing some people on city council, there will likely be a lot of pushback of Sheppard Subway being extended period. I honestly find it really weird for them to be thinking of making Sheppard East and LRT line instead of extending it. It is really a waste of taxpayer money to be leaving a subway line as nothing more then a stump.

Building the Sheppard Subway in the first place was a massive waste of taxpayers money. Never have I seen such a colossally huge waste of money for a municipal project. It makes absolutely no sense to dump more money into this thing. We'll invest $4 Billion+ to extend a subway that will be underused regardless of what we do.

If any money is invested in Sheppard Subway, it should be $600 Million to convert the underground heavy rail line to a underground light rail line.

Is it really only 600 million?

I'd do that today, connect it with Finch and make an uptown crosstown.

Indeed; though knowing some people on city council, there will likely be a lot of pushback of Sheppard Subway being extended period. I honestly find it really weird for them to be thinking of making Sheppard East and LRT line instead of extending it. It is really a waste of taxpayer money to be leaving a subway line as nothing more then a stump.

It's already been a stump for more than a decade. If we decide to build a subway, the ridership is so low that we'd have to wait until we're all old or dead before it even meets the minimum requirement for a subway. Many many projects like the DRL would be prioritized ahead of it, meaning it is left as a stub essentially forever.

Building the Sheppard Subway in the first place was a massive waste of taxpayers money. Never have I seen such a colossally huge waste of money for a municipal project. It makes absolutely no sense to dump more money into this thing. We'll invest $4 Billion+ to extend a subway that will be underused regardless of what we do.

If any money is invested in Sheppard Subway, it should be $600 Million to convert the underground heavy rail line to a underground light rail line.
The first part of sheppard was built when it was cheap to do so. Things didn't work out and now the GTA is a Downtown-or-905 region. The problem is people in suburbs are going to say "hey why are all these downtowners trying to shove the LRT down are throats?"
It's already been a stump for more than a decade. If we decide to build a subway, the ridership is so low that we'd have to wait until we're all old or dead before it even meets the minimum requirement for a subway. Many many projects like the DRL would be prioritized ahead of it, meaning it is left as a stub essentially forever.

You can put a bandaid on that with rezoning. Parts of the riverdale area will be rezoned after the DRL is built. It will make the residents mad but that's the price they will have to pay for a subway.

Last edited:
The first part of sheppard was built when it was cheap to do so. Things didn't work out and now the GTA is a Downtown-or-905 region. The problem is people in suburbs are going to say "hey why are all these downtowners trying to shove the LRT down are throats?"

You consider $1 Billion for this line to be cheap?

Whether or not it's $1 Billion or $4 Billion it is still too expensive. The amount of money spent on subways on Sheppard should have been $0.

Nailed it. BRT for Sheppard would've been the best choice. If demands on Sheppard were ever to increase, a BRT can easily be converted into a surface LRT.

But since Sheppard Subway does exist, best make use of the tunnel and convert it to LRT and make an uptown crosstown.

$721 Million (2014), adjusted for inflation.

Still worth it. The good folks of Scarborough were willing to plunk down multiple billions to eliminate a transfer at Kennedy; just wait until grumbling starts about a transfer at Don Mills.

$721 Million (2014), adjusted for inflation.
What price index did you use to inflate this? Do you have a source?

Seems low. You are aware that the consumer price index is only appropriate for inflating the price of consumer expenses ... not steel and concrete, right?

Personally, I always wondered if there were other alternatives ... such as looking at Bombardier's Primove technology, so you didn't to have catenary in the tunnels, which would reduce the amount of modification necessary in subway.

Last edited:

Back