News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Primove is interesting. But then we're stuck with a unique oddball mode only usable in one area.
6-car subways, 4-car subways, Toronto-gauge streetcars, LRT, and all signs are pointing to us being stuck with Mark I ICTS in Scarborough for the next +decade. All unable to be interchanged with one another. Add in Primove, and that's one more we're saddled with.

Primove would mean digging up the trackbed to lay the induction wiring, wouldn't it?
I'm not sure. Could it just be attached to the trackbed, like the rails? It's not like the current top of the track is flush with the surface ... like on streetcar tracks on roads. Seems to me there's a lot of working areas.

Primove is interesting. But then we're stuck with a unique oddball mode only usable in one area.
6-car subways, 4-car subways, Toronto-gauge streetcars, LRT, and all signs are pointing to us being stuck with Mark I ICTS in Scarborough for the next +decade. All unable to be interchanged with one another. Add in Primove, and that's one more we're saddled with.
Not sure the big deal. Far bigger cities do exactly the same thing, dedicating particular equipment to particular lines. Heck in London, they even paint the poles in the cars to match the line they are moved on.

And nothing to say the equipment that runs on Primove on the tunnel, or some outdoor sections, can't just raise the pantograph and use it on other sections.

Then again, the line that could be created by converting the Sheppard Subway and extending it westward makes it large enough that it wouldn't necessarily be a white elephant. I mean, a line extending from Humber College in the west to Meadowvale in the east, with 2 yards along the route, is a pretty big line, even if it would be the only line on the system to use that technology. If it can potentially save hundreds of millions in the conversion, I say it's at least worth looking at.

The other option of course is to convert the at-grade stops to use high floor LRVs, as to not require reconstruction of the platforms on the subway.

- waste of money-
Absolutely correct. TTC staff have suggested shutting the line down due to its high operating costs vs. ridership (approx. $8 subsidy per passenger). Unfortunately, subways are popular with drivers (voters) who look at them as a way to relieve congestion (not other cars of course, but buses!). Drivers complain all the time to their local councillors about seeing half empty buses. They don't ride transit, and so don't see or care about the empty seats on underground trains.
Getting city Councillors to vote for conversion of a subway line to LRT, would be like expecting Harper to convert Canada's new penitentiaries into education centres with recreation programs & harm reduction clinics.

The other option of course is to convert the at-grade stops to use high floor LRVs, as to not require reconstruction of the platforms on the subway.
It's also a more marketable option as well. Because, since when do "streetcars" have full height platforms?

It's also a more marketable option as well. Because, since when do "streetcars" have full height platforms?

Before low-floor streetcars and trams, some jurisdictions used high-floor platforms to be level with the high-floor streetcars and trams. Sometimes, they used the steps on one side of the vehicle, but the level high-floor platform on the other. Visit Buffalo, for an example.

14-LaSalle-10.jpg

Before low-floor streetcars and trams, some jurisdictions used high-floor platforms to be level with the high-floor streetcars and trams. Sometimes, they used the steps on one side of the vehicle, but the level high-floor platform on the other. Visit Buffalo, for an example.

There are steps on both side of the car, but only use 1 side depending which way it going in Buffalo. The steps fold out, other than the front door outside the underground. The front door is high floor with a ramp up to it and currently being replace by new ones.

Baltimore cars are the same way, but standard steps with a narrow space between the steps inside the car. Boston is steps only on one side and no high platform.

The Tide and Washington cars are both sides and are low floor. The Tide has no ramps as the door and platform are level with narrow gap at the door.

14-LaSalle-10.jpg
That looks a lot like the C-train style of LRT. And I notice they refer to it as "train" on the LED information panel in the picture.

That looks a lot like the C-train style of LRT. And I notice they refer to it as "train" on the LED information panel in the picture.
Do Buffalonians call the underground portion of their LRT system a subway?

Do Buffalonians call the underground portion of their LRT system a subway?
The wiki does say it shares a lot of similarities with heavy rail. It's even branded as "Buffalo Metro Rail".
Metro Rail is a light rail transit (LRT) system as characterized by the American Public Transportation Association although it shares many characteristics with "heavy rail" metro systems.

Along 80 percent of its track (5.2 miles (8.4 km)), it operates in a high-speed underground subway environment with high-level platforms. This section has eight stations that are spaced fairly widely apart, comparable to many subway stations elsewhere.

Sounds similar to Ottawa's Confederation LRT. Effectively, a subway system with LRT technology.

More evidence that subway vs. LRT is a false dichotomy.

Well - Calgary has long planned, and even has a small section built of the 8th ave subway, which would be run with the cities LRT (it would be used by the NW / South lines). But again, Calgary's LRT is more subway style, the entire thing has priority with gates at level crossings. Also, in Calgary's 20 year plan is for a new LRT line that would use low floor cars. Personally I think LRT is mis-used. Toronto's mixed traffic streetcars? That is LRT, but anything that has a gated right-of-away can be considered HRT, or Heavy Rail.

SHEPPARD EAST RESIDENTS NEED THE FULL 12KM OF LIGHT RAIL PLANNED

Read More: http://coderedto.com/sheppard-east-residents-need-the-full-12km-of-light-rail-planned/

After reviewing reports from the City of Toronto and Metrolinx, our key findings:

- Given the current $1 billion budget committed by the province of Ontario and the government of Canada, less than 3km of subway could be built, as opposed to about 12km of modern light rail transit (LRT).

- If only 3km of subway were to be built, it would add only one new stop east of Victoria Park, and have just two new stations.

- The Sheppard East LRT project already has a completed Environmental Assessment, and will be under construction from approximately 2017-2020. Any subway would require at least 2-4 more years before construction could begin, with all planning starting from scratch.

- The City of Toronto and Metrolinx have a signed legal agreement to deliver this LRT line that includes the province paying for all construction costs. Any change to another mode would require renegotiation and penalties due to contract cancellation with suppliers.

LARGE: http://coderedto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Sheppard_East_Light_Rail_Facts1.pdf

Sheppard_East_Light_Rail_Facts-300x225.png

Last edited:
These CodeRed people really aggravate me. You couldn't find a more pro-LRT group of LRTistas if you tried.

Back