News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

.. of course there will be an STC stop with the McCowan alignment.. Likely just shifted a bit east and pointed north-south instead of east-west. I suspect the station will be built in the parking lot in front of the Ciniplex.
If the subway gets built in place of LRT, I expect a new bus terminal and setup will take place to the east of the current location.

It will be a longer walking distance to get to STC from both new terminals and station.

Still the wrong choice going subway.

I wouldn't think so, I'd assume the station would be on McCowan, or just west of it, where McCowan passes under the SRT. But you are the one who posted in response to the location of the station "The srt alignment is cheaper and there is a bus terminal there already."

It's not particularly dense, however it provides an interchange with Line 7. More importantly, it gets past the 401, so all the buses don't have to get stuck trying to cross it to Scarborough Centre. Presumably there would be a large bus terminal at Sheppard/McCowan for transit north of the 401.

There's no need to veer off of McCowan to reach STC. They can just move the station to the east side of the mall. Between Ellesmere & the 401 the tunnel could move just west of the road (rather than directly beneath it) to bring it closer to the mall if necessary.

I agree. Not quite sure where denfromoakvillemilton is going with this.

Ha, maybe they've never actually been to STC.

If the subway is built, the connection between the mall and station might be like Yorkdale (except probably underground rather than above ground).

What I was saying is that it would be a walk from McCowan and Ellesmere to STC. The station won't be at STC. Yorkdale is a bit of a walk itself.

No matter who becomes mayor, it looks like Scarborough councillors and Liberal MPPs are quietly trying to kill the LRT.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...east-lrt-depends-on-results-of-city-election/

Kelly and Wong, however, both acknowledged many residents who spoke to them about the issue would be satisfied to see the Sheppard East LRT die, even if no subway extension is ever built.

In campaign appearances, the Fords have stressed the inconvenience LRTs present to drivers and that building “nothing at all” is preferable.

Wow. "Nothing" is preferable to some. If they truly prefer nothing, no subway, no LRT, to an LRT, then my first reaction is: fine, let's put the money into the DRL, or another worthy project. Enjoy "nothing"!

Last edited:
I am surprised that so many candidates are queried about "transit for Scarboro" without being asked about "a vision for Scarboro".

If Scarboro is just intended to be a bedroom community for people who work downtown, then great....put in a nice big subway extension to get them downtown and back efficiently.

Personally I would like Scarboro to become an urban center of its own. That would argue for the subway being on Sheppard, and not so many people carried downtown....because the jobs and the places to go are created in the north end of town. Downtown will grow enough on its own, and more people who work downtown can live downtown.

It's as if the people who are arguing for the most expensive transit for the Scarboro RT have the lowest vision for this part of town.

- Paul

Change it to ICTS and make it a skytrain off the road. It can also use the existing tunnels with little modifications to it and reclassify the whole thing as the Uptown RT.

Change it to ICTS and make it a skytrain off the road. It can also use the existing tunnels with little modifications to it and reclassify the whole thing as the Uptown RT.

I'm sure scarborough would love another skytrain/RT after their great experience with the current one

It makes no sense to do Skytrain/RT/ICTS even if you're doing an elevated extension. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with this tech.

If you're doing an elevated extension east from Don Mills on Sheppard, you can do an elevated subway, using standard subway tech. Then you have 0 conversion costs in the existing tunnel.

Why would you choose Skytrain over that? There is no cost advantage. You can automate subway tech just like Skytrain.

Wow. "Nothing" is preferable to some. If they truly prefer nothing, no subway, no LRT, to an LRT, then my first reaction is: fine, let's put the money into the DRL, or another worthy project. Enjoy "nothing"!

Kelly
Cho
Soo Wong
Karygiannis
Duguid (allegedy)
Michelle Berardinetti
Lorenzo Berardinetti
Doug Ford
Rob Ford

So that's quite a bit of support. Some heavy hitters on that route as well. But,
Merchants along the LRT route aren’t necessarily pro-subway, but many are worried about the lack of left-turn lanes affecting business after it’s built, said Ernie McCullough, executive director of the Sheppard East Village Business Improvement Area.

This statement is crucial. Admittedly, this is a problem with LRT. Left Turns.

Last edited:
I'm confused, there will be left turn lanes at intersections.. are they afraid of not being able to turn into street access entrances to the plazas? Highway 7 seems to be doing fine so far in that regard..

I'm confused, there will be left turn lanes at intersections.. are they afraid of not being able to turn into street access entrances to the plazas? Highway 7 seems to be doing fine so far in that regard..

Hi innsert, long time.

I think people (wrongly) see the situation on St Clair whereas people assume you can't make a left turn at Keele, Dufferin, Bathurst, etc.

The province isn't interested in the DRL. They will be pushing Metrolinx RER first. This is why Tory's Smart Track is a stroke of brilliance. Just watch what happens after the election.

Queen's Park is not about to prioritize a $6 billion subway to serve (relatively speaking....i get that ridership will be high) a handful of ridings and some commuters when they can bolster service across the region for that price.

I think people (wrongly) see the situation on St Clair whereas people assume you can't make a left turn at Keele, Dufferin, Bathurst, etc.
Why would one assume you can't turn left at Keele, Dufferin, and Bathurst? Not only can you tun there - there are turn lanes on St. Clair for all 3 of these.

Back