News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Bingo.

Sheppard should have always been an on street LRT like Eglinton. Streets are wide up there, they could have done it without even getting rid of any traffic lanes.

LRT certainly would be solid, particularly for the reason of wide streets and far block spacing. Still though I think an option that provides the subway's speed/reliability but done more affordably had unstudied merit. Something akin to Line 3. Needn't be ICTS/ART, could still be conventional third rail. Malvern, SC, Consumers, NYC, Downsview, then either Pearson or Vaughan or both. Distances are so far between these areas that LRT may not be as competitive as the car for much of the day just because all the intersections. And with 6-car underground subway we'd be waiting a century til its built, which it probably wouldn't be. And we already have one piece in place with Line 3, it just needed to be expanded upon. A missed opportunity imo.

LRT certainly would be solid, particularly for the reason of wide streets and far block spacing. Still though I think an option that provides the subway's speed/reliability but done more affordably had unstudied merit. Something akin to Line 3. Needn't be ICTS/ART, could still be conventional third rail. Malvern, SC, Consumers, NYC, Downsview, then either Pearson or Vaughan or both. Distances are so far between these areas that LRT may not be as competitive as the car for much of the day just because all the intersections. And with 6-car underground subway we'd be waiting a century til its built, which it probably wouldn't be. And we already have one piece in place with Line 3, it just needed to be expanded upon. A missed opportunity imo.
If it were up to me, I would have put a full subway on Eglinton from Renforth (or Pearson/Mississauga) to Kennedy (or STC), and have the LRT on Sheppard, underground from Dufferin to Victoria Park and median at-grade to STC (or Morningside/Malvern).

1. & 2. Bidirectional is optional. Just as having doors on both sides is optional.

4. Could be coupled by adding coupliers. Even the used PCC streetcars of the 1950's had coupliers added to some of them for use on the Bloor streetcar line, after they arrived in Toronto.

See link.
Personally, I would have preferred loops as turnaround times can be faster. Look at the subways now. There's always a backup no matter the terminus station.

If it were up to me, I would have put a full subway on Eglinton from Renforth (or Pearson/Mississauga) to Kennedy (or STC), and have the LRT on Sheppard, underground from Dufferin to Victoria Park and median at-grade to STC (or Morningside/Malvern).

With Sheppard, you don't really need rapid transit outside those underground areas you mention. It's a nice to have thing between Vic Park and the STC, but that's something that can wait. A subway between Dufferin and Vic Park would be a blessing right now, and with DRL long coming, it will be necessary to shuttle passengers up north.

I do agree with regards to Eglinton though, Metrolinx is seriously overestimating the potential of LRT along that line.

Edmonton is in the midst of building a line, to the point where the first car is complete. No where else in Canada seems to be seriously looking at building a light rail line, so there's no other point of comparison.

As for the rest of those cities, I think you are trying desperately to make a distinction where one doesn't exist. Most of them have elements that are just as much LRT as any of the lines planned to be built here.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Cities planning (proposing) or building or have built light rail: Vancouver/Surrey, (Victoria), Calgary, Ottawa, Toronto (St Clair, Spadina, Queensway, Harbourfront, Cherry, Portlands, Finch West, Eglinton, SRT, Sheppard East, (Jane)), Mississauga (Hurontario), Hamilton, Waterloo/Kitchener, (London), Montreal (more of a RER thing, but it's called light rail), Quebec City, (Halifax). Of those, a bunch are being built now, including Waterloo, Mississauga, and Toronto. We have vehicles here, we know how LFLRVs work. They fit the streetcar network. Passing them off as LRT that's supposed to be more rapid is not going to end well.

And a bunch of the cities you mentioned: Cincinnati, KC, Detroit don't have Light Rail systems. They have streetcar systems, where they run in mixed traffic.
The systems in Boston, Newark, Salt Lake City, Portland (Older vehicles), etc have layouts where one section is fully low floor and the other 2+ are high floor. The argument is strictly against the types of low floor vehicles we're seeing here in Toronto, where space is used inefficiently.

Also: none of the systems you mentioned with the exception of maybe Boston will have light rail ridership anywhere near what we're expecting on the Crosstown (or finch west on a ridership per kilometer basis).

Sweet Sheppard East as well as SSE. Really conflicted on who to vote for now though.

Liberal candidates are campaigning here on the Sheppard subway (and have previously). Wonder how long it take to come from Wynnes as well with Ford front lining the loop

Last edited:
Liberal candidates are campaigning here on the Sheppard subway (and have previously). Wonder if its going to come from Wynnes mouth as well with Ford front lining it
Only thing I'm concerned about is their ability to procrastinate on these projects ad infinitum.

Back