News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I would love to see Sheppard and McCowan as a major transit hub:
  1. Line 2 terminus
  2. Line 4 terminus
  3. EELRT/Sheppard LRT northern terminus
  4. McCowan LRT terminus (north to Centennial GO in Markham)
  5. Finch East LRT terminus (which would connect to Finch via McCowan LRT row)

Where along Sheppard are you running an elevated subway between Earl Bales and Sheppard West? Directly over Sheppard?
Down the center turn lanes. Protected lefts & uturns at major intersections.

Rather than interlining with Line 1 in the west, my idea would be to cut straight across (or dip south) into the Downsview park lands, then proceed west along Sheppard. This puts service into the airport lands redevelopment.

If they build the line-to-line connections the same as they did at Yonge (east/west to south) then it would be possible to run trippers down Line 1; you could have peak direction service that could use a single reversible tunnel that avoids having to build a complicated junction for full interlining.

If the Yonge crossover was a bit further south, you could potentially run a loop along Sheppard. Alas.
I'd propose
-Sheppard West connection
-Downsview Park future district
-South to Wilson/Keele
-South to Jane/Lawrence
-Ends at Lawrence & Weston with GO connections

Anything besides subway is dumb and ridiculous. You get to connect the line to Wilson Yard while you're at it. The extra cost of converting the existing parts to something else is pure waste of money and being realistic for a minutes - have people forgot who's in power?

Line 4 will be subway from McCowan to Downsview Park

right, but ...

should it remain its own standalone Line?

should it be a branch of Line 1?

should it interline with Line 1 @ Wilson?

should Line 1 decouple @ Downsview, where the Line 1 extension to Vaughn becomes part of Line 4 ?

should Line 1 decouple @ Downsview, where the Line 1 extension to Vaughn becomes part of a new subway Line headed south to the core?

seems like there are a few options even without changing any of the technology.

also...

who decided Line 4 should be purple on the map? always thought that was a horrible choice aesthetically.

right, but ...

should it remain its own standalone Line?

should it be a branch of Line 1?

should it interline with Line 1 @ Wilson?

should Line 1 decouple @ Downsview, where the Line 1 extension to Vaughn becomes part of Line 4 ?

should Line 1 decouple @ Downsview, where the Line 1 extension to Vaughn becomes part of a new subway Line headed south to the core?

seems like there are a few options even without changing any of the technology.

also...

who decided Line 4 should be purple on the map? always thought that was a horrible choice aesthetically.
What’s wrong with purple? I always liked the colour.

I think the more pertinent question is why is eglinton orange?

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 3.45.46 PM.png

Will this not need more than a single lane to build two tracks, boxed in by new condos?
Not if we go with a single column design like with the sky train.

We could also narrow the travel lanes but admittedly it would be a bit of a squeeze and between Sheppard west and Earl Bales it might be better for it to be tunnelled.

Above grade east of VP, mainly commercial properties all the way to McCowan. Davenport diamond just completed, above grade on budget and on time, massive success! Not talked about enough. On the west side Bridge over Earl Bales/Sheppard west and then tunnel to Allen rd. Keep it simple

I wonder what public perception of elevated transit is now. People seemed to have accepted Eglinton Line and Ontario Line. I think over a decade ago there was much less appetite for elevated transit with the abysmal condition of the Gardiner and unreliability of the Scarborough RT. Though I still wonder how people will receive an elevated structure running in the middle of the road for large lengths of Sheppard.

I wonder what public perception of elevated transit is now. People seemed to have accepted Eglinton Line and Ontario Line. I think over a decade ago there was much less appetite for elevated transit with the abysmal condition of the Gardiner and unreliability of the Scarborough RT. Though I still wonder how people will receive an elevated structure running in the middle of the road for large lengths of Sheppard.
We could always elevate the eastern part of Eglinton first to see how people feel.

Metrolinx has stated on the site that they are considering building an LRT (not in those exact words) and that they haven't made a decision on the mode. Perhaps they might back track and build an LRT instead of a subway if the subway costs skyrocket. I'm not sure we are out of the woods just yet regarding Sheppard being a subway until an announcement is actually made. Even then, I worry that a 2026 election can change things given a new government, which is likely given the PCs will have been in power for 8 years.

We could always elevate the eastern part of Eglinton first to see how people feel.
Or maybe we could look at what other places do (Vancouver, e.g.) and just do it. I agree it probably needs to be demonstrated successfully on some part of a line until people will accept it everywhere. But the Toronto way of reinventing things is exhausting.

I would love to see Sheppard and McCowan as a major transit hub:
  1. Line 2 terminus
  2. Line 4 terminus
  3. EELRT/Sheppard LRT northern terminus
  4. McCowan LRT terminus (north to Centennial GO in Markham)
  5. Finch East LRT terminus (which would connect to Finch via McCowan LRT row)
It's a shame that there is nothing there. There is already substantial development and a major mall at STC.

Agreed, however, I expect some development will occur at Sheppard/McCowan eventually.
There needs to be an interchange station north of the 401 to complement Kennedy to the south though. For STC, the McCowan LRT could also head south to STC, as could Finch East, and presumably some future STC East-West LRT could also connect with the STC subway station.

Back