News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yeah, Detroit IS among the leaders in having character. I'm not even trolling here....I see you disagree, but I'll take Detroit's character over Las Vegas' blandness any day, to name just one example.

well it's fine you like that kind of character. We all like different things. Can I ask if you want you live in Sherbourne/Queen kind of character? If not, your liking is a bit disingenuous. If you don't, why do you think others should live that kind of blight?

YDS is paved with slabs of black granite.

Doesn't make the place any more appealing.
Before you say it is always busy, let me remind you Toronto doesn't have any alternative in terms of public square downtown so it's not like people have a choice.
In general YDS is a colossal failure in terms of design and attractiveness. A city like Santiago has squares five times nicer.

I like the granite. We're probably going to build better public spaces with time so long as the city's economy keeps growing.

[QUOTE said:
ksun, post: 1033186, member: 58764"]well it's fine you like that kind of character. We all like different things. Can I ask if you want you live in Sherbourne/Queen kind of character? If not, your liking is a bit disingenuous. If you don't, why do you think others should live that kind of blight?

My favourite place I've ever lived in Toronto was in Parkdale...kind of on the same level in many ways. Also, this was back in 2006-07 when Parkdale was still a bit more real than it is now.
So, to answer question: yes, sure, why not? Given the right place to rent, I'm down.

Mind you, I would be lying if I said I'd enjoy living in a bug infested shithole. I tried that once in Vancouver and literally slept with one eye open. Granted, that was at a shared room in a downtown east side "hostel" where my roomie kept the door to our room open all night. Also tried staying at a crack house basement in Detroit once....opted for a hotel in Corktown instead once I finally became uninterested in sthe stains on the mattress in the basement that was our (yes, our) bed. Even the neighbourhood I stayed in in Frankfurt last year was very Queen/Sherbourne-esque. Worked for me as I could get a beer to take with at 3am and got to watch football with a group of Turks in a kiosk, sitting on milk crates, chain smoking and right beside the fridge. Good people.

Last edited:
MTown: so Parkdale is somehow less real these days? That's news to me. I lived there in the early 90s and was just there last night for an art opening. It's still real, it's just a different kind of real. I guess you're gonna have to define what you mean by "real."

Both east and west side parkettes are complete.
IMG_20150925_144708.jpg
IMG_20150925_144833.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150925_144708.jpg
    IMG_20150925_144708.jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_20150925_144833.jpg
    IMG_20150925_144833.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 783
MTown: so Parkdale is somehow less real these days? That's news to me. I lived there in the early 90s and was just there last night for an art opening. It's still real, it's just a different kind of real. I guess you're gonna have to define what you mean by "real."
Sorry....by what I said I meant that it is a lot less dodgy than it used to be.

Harmless perhaps, but an embarrassment to the city. Just last weekend I took my family on a cycle ride from Cabbagetown to the Islands, transiting the bike path down Sherbourne. The ride is quite enjoyable, until you hit Sherbourne south of Dundas, especially on the return north-bound or east side. It's not just the Sally Ann shelter, but what's with all those flophouses with dozens of intoxicated, high or insane folks milling about, muttering to themselves, visually shooting up on the sidewalk, etc?

It's as if someone opened the doors of a Victorian asylum. I think the city needs to move on from the era of abandoning the downtown east to the GTA, province and nation's downtrodden. We all need to live somewhere, but piling everyone into a few blocks and then forgetting about it makes no sense. We need smaller, longer term social housing across the city.
I have yet to see a big or even medium sized city that doesn't have cases like that. George St at 2 AM was even worse back in the day; I remember about 10 years ago me and my buddy met some girls from Cornwall while clubbing. They were really impressed with Toronto so we decided to take them for a ride through George St. Let's just say they were happy passing through the street lasted only 10 seconds.

Harmless perhaps, but an embarrassment to the city. Just last weekend I took my family on a cycle ride from Cabbagetown to the Islands, transiting the bike path down Sherbourne. The ride is quite enjoyable, until you hit Sherbourne south of Dundas, especially on the return north-bound or east side. It's not just the Sally Ann shelter, but what's with all those flophouses with dozens of intoxicated, high or insane folks milling about, muttering to themselves, visually shooting up on the sidewalk, etc? It's as if someone opened the doors of a Victorian asylum.
Now that I've begun riding Bikeshare Riverdale Farm to Union I see Sherbourne up close more often. Nothing has changed since I wrote the above two years ago.

I have to think TPS has completely forgotten to enforce Provincial laws against public intoxication.

"I have to think TPS has completely forgotten to enforce Provincial laws against public intoxication."

TPS have been "told" to stay out of Moss Park.
The drug users have the run of the neighbourhood...the tax payers are screwed.

I was cycling from Union Stn. up Sherbourne yesterday, and at Dundas this nutbar woman throws down a pair of headphones, smashing them, and then walk up Sherbourne to get on a bus. The TTC bus stops, and she yells at the driver and from the sidewalk through the open door hurls the contents of her water bottle at the driver. TCHC security was there and tried to grab her and she had a freek out.

After I gave my card to the driver and wished him well, I rode up Sherbourne thinking this whole street is a circus of humanity’s garbage, and wishing we’d raze the whole area and start fresh. Why we concede our downtown east to junkies is beyond me.

Every time I go along Sherbourne between Gerard and queen I just shake my head. That whole stretch needs to be seriously redone.

Every time I go along Sherbourne between Gerard and queen I just shake my head. That whole stretch needs to be seriously redone.
"Seriously redone" would include moving some of the homeless shelters and rooming houses elsewhere and we all know how popular THAT is going to be. The problem with that stretch of Sherbourne is that it has become 'shelter central'.

I have to say, as a driver, this intersection feels so much safer already with the removal of the ramp and the removal of the right turn lane. Such an easy win for pedestrians and cyclists.
I agree, used to be on edge on that intersection

"Seriously redone" would include moving some of the homeless shelters and rooming houses elsewhere and we all know how popular THAT is going to be. The problem with that stretch of Sherbourne is that it has become 'shelter central'.

Yea. I mean, Having a shelter is one thing but having 6,7,8,9 of them all lined up on the same street is a recipe for disaster. Constantly see people blocking traffic high off something.

Back