Sure beats everything in Toronto being named after Rogers. (2 Ryerson buildings, a street, Skydome)

If they rename some major street after Hazel after she retires or dies I'll be really pissed. If it's a minor street then fine.

Most probably either 9th Line or 10th Line will be renamed as McCallion Blvd. or McCallion Ave. or McCallion Rd. (which sounds like McCowan Rd.)

Eastgate Parkway is another candidate for renaming. Such a generic name.

IMO, the road that should be renamed first is Winston Churchill Blvd. Rename it Hazel McCallion Blvd.

"I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes."

- Winston Churchill

Most probably either 9th Line or 10th Line will be renamed as McCallion Blvd. or McCallion Ave. or McCallion Rd. (which sounds like McCowan Rd.)

And as you posted , they should use just the last name. I hate the current trent in naming streets after people with the first name included.

Seriously, items named after Hazel, so far, are one pretty small meeting room at Mississauga Valley Community Centre (by the city), an elementary school (by the school board), and the library building at U of T Mississauga. I think that's it. We are not yet overloaded with Hazel-named projects.

Hazel McCallion will take over Thomas Kennedy for the most place names in Mississauga.

Remember:
Kennedy Road (potentially McCallion Road/Blvd./Ave.)
Tomken Road (potentially Hazmac Road/Blvd./Ave. :D)
Thomas Street (potentially Hazel Street)
TL Kennedy SS (Hazel McCallion school already exists)

Eastgate Parkway is another candidate for renaming. Such a generic name.

Might as well rename it as Creekbank Road, since Creekbank will be extended and will become a new arterial road, and Creekbank is essentitally an extension of Eastgate.

Central Parkway might be another one, but it is already very popular. But imagine the intersection: Hurontario and Creditview / Hurontario and Kennedy.

Last edited:
IMO, the road that should be renamed first is Winston Churchill Blvd. Rename it Hazel McCallion Blvd.

"I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes."

- Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill Blvd. is the last street in Mississauga I'd want renamed. It's a very dignified name for a street. And the thing about Winston Churchill is that you always have to say the whole thing: Winston Churchill. You can't shorten it.

Ninth Line or Tenth Line would make sense. Second Line is long gone (yes, I realize they're different sets of lines).

Hazel McCallion will take over Thomas Kennedy for the most place names in Mississauga.

Remember:
Kennedy Road (potentially McCallion Road/Blvd./Ave.)
Tomken Road (potentially Hazmac Road/Blvd./Ave. :D)
Thomas Street (potentially Hazel Street)
TL Kennedy SS (Hazel McCallion school already exists)

Might as well rename it as Creekbank Road, since Creekbank will be extended and will become a new arterial road, and Creekbank is essentitally an extension of Eastgate.

Central Parkway might be another one, but it is already very popular. But imagine the intersection: Hurontario and Creditview / Hurontario and Kennedy.

Personally I think Central Pkwy should go back to its original name: Bloor Street.

Personally I think Central Pkwy should go back to its original name: Bloor Street.

How is it the original name? Central Parkway has not existed for very long. For example, the section between Mavis and Redmond was only built like 10 years ago... the section east of Redmond to Hurontario probably only 20 years ago...

The worst street name in Mississauga is probably Rose Cherry Place, named after Don Cherry's late wife... Mississuga should consider renaming that too, otherwise we might see another street named after Don Cherry himself one day. And that would be very bad.

At the point where Central Parkway meets Bloor Street, the former goes in two directions (west, more or less as an extension of Bloor, and north).

And sorry to be picky, but renaming Winston Churchill Boulevard would involve not only Mississauga, but Oakville, Brampton, Halton Hills, Caledon, and Erin. It's a long street. It's anyone's guess how many properties have addresses which include this street name. I think we are stuck with Winnie's name on the street for the foreseeable future.

Quick stuff from this past Saturday.

NZPbb.png

OIRVi.png

hey 3rdLeap, thx for these pics, and welcome to the forum.....:)

How is it the original name? Central Parkway has not existed for very long. For example, the section between Mavis and Redmond was only built like 10 years ago... the section east of Redmond to Hurontario probably only 20 years ago...

Actually, the short section of Central Pkwy from Hurontario to ~Palgrave Rd. was an old road actually called Bloor St. W. Central Pkwy. came about as part of an abandoned ring road project around the City Centre of which Bloor St. W. was to be a part of. Only the SE portion was built. Bloor St (East) ended at Tomken and was extended west to the part where it turned north. After the project was cancelled, the road was connected to Kennedy instead of curving back west. The section of Rathburn through the CC follows what would have been the northern leg of the ring road.

Actually, the short section of Central Pkwy from Hurontario to ~Palgrave Rd. was an old road actually called Bloor St. W. Central Pkwy. came about as part of an abandoned ring road project around the City Centre of which Bloor St. W. was to be a part of. Only the SE portion was built. Bloor St (East) ended at Tomken and was extended west to the part where it turned north. After the project was cancelled, the road was connected to Kennedy instead of curving back west. The section of Rathburn through the CC follows what would have been the northern leg of the ring road.

Do you happen to have any pre-Central Parkway maps of Mississauga? Can't seem to find any online.

Back