Though to be honest, when it comes to Port Credit proper, it's probably at most a Progressive Conservative/Green tendency...

As of the 9th
20100707a004.jpg

20100707a040.jpg

I hope I don't offend anyone with this comment but I really hate the design of this building, at least as far as I can tell from the renderings.

Given that this is MCC's first educational institution, I would have expected either something grand and impressive or something sleek and modern. This thing looks conservative at best and has an allure akin to that of Vaughan Mills. I mean, just look at the renderings: the only halfway decent one is the middle one because it looks as though the building is somewhat responsive to the street, albeit in the most unimaginative way possible: the curvature of a tall featureless wall follows the curvature of the street. :(. The other two are just crap, one is a blank wall facing what looks like an empty boulevard, while the other looks like a series of elements, smashed together without rhyme or reason, and some crappy box on stilts tacked on for good measure. Where is the imagination? How about some creative massing? Or maybe an overarching design ideology, perhaps? Where is the interplay between architecture and public space? I could go on...

Don't get me wrong, I think that from an urbanistic perspective this building is great news, but I'm just so underwhelmed by the design. Maybe the renderings don't do it justice and I'm jumping to conclusions. I guess we'll see how it turns out but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos Jasonzed. You are doing quite a job documenting the progress of MCC.

Ribfest got kicked out of their usual location this year. Hopefully they will be back next year. The street closing for Ribfest, the ongoing street closing in front of City Hall, and the construction on the former north parking lot of Square One seem to have caused some traffic holdups on the weekend.

Thanks for the photos Jasonzed. You are doing quite a job documenting the progress of MCC.

Ribfest got kicked out of their usual location this year. Hopefully they will be back next year. The street closing for Ribfest, the ongoing street closing in front of City Hall, and the construction on the former north parking lot of Square One seem to have caused some traffic holdups on the weekend.

You`re welcome. With a good number of streets closed off the traffic was somewhat brutal. The redeveloped square will be open by then so it should be interesting how it all fits in...

Back