News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Has it ever occurred to you that the Island's appeal is directly related to it's isolation?
It would be more cost effective ( in terms of initial capital and on-going maintenance ) to re-establish the land link as opposed to a subway line from Union station.

I agree, that would be more ideal. yet it seems the central part is farthest from the mainland. Western part is occupied by the Airport.
I think the only way to provide land access now is to allow people to enter the island via the airport tunnel under construction. The ferry should be kept as a tourist attraction though.

I would wish to see a LRT going under the water channels and the airport. Unfortunately, the cost would be too high unless there is more development on the island and the portlands to make it viable. The west arm could up Bathurst while an east arm could go up Broadview or Coxwell. Unfortunately, that is only a wish and probably would not happen.

It sounds to me that there's a general consensus among us then that at the very least additional programming, added and refurnished amenities, an enhanced link with the main land needs to be provided.

So why hasn't city council been talking about this? A brief google search on news articles for centre island didn't turn anything up for me. Why the lack of discussion about this, how did this get left out of waterfront toronto's project?

Where have you been? Council has talked about plans for the Island. The mayor's capo de regime wants to staff the entire place with hookers. How's that for programmatic change?

As to the islands residents, they would always selfishly prefer noboy ever steps into the island, or no development is ever done so that they can have it all to themselves. Forget what they want. If they want pure quietness, why not move out of the GTA, there is plenty out there.
There are no residents on Centre Island. Perhaps you're referring to the residents of Ward's Island and Algonquin Island? This topic is about Centre Island.

There are no residents on Centre Island. Perhaps you're referring to the residents of Ward's Island and Algonquin Island? This topic is about Centre Island.

I consider all the islands that surround the harbour as part of the discussion.

Changes that I'd like to see made -

- Toronto Ferries integrated into the transit network with Presto
- Re-development of the Centre Island ferry landing. Personally, I like the idea of a colourful seaside town. Definitely small in scale. You could have a few bars / restaurants with patios to enjoy the view, perhaps a hostel or two. Nothing extravagant or out of scale.
- Re-development of Centreville. I think the park itself needs a bit of an update. I wouldn't want to see it expand per se, but some newer attractions and a general clean-up is necessary. I like the idea of keeping the amusement park for children, so save the rollercoasters and crazy rides for Exhibition Place.
- The last time that I was there, general maintenance along the Avenue of the Island towards the south beaches was pretty poor. For the supposed 'grand avenue' of the Toronto Islands, it was pretty bad. I like the idea of the grand avenue, but it's in real bad shape. The lamposts and hanging planters are awful. The two pools look pretty slimy. This whole area could use an update to make it look more respectful, as it has been rather neglected. I like the fountain near the bridge, but it would be cool to see the paving stones around it replaced with something 'grander'. Granite slabs? Patterned concrete? Something.
- BBQ pits at the south beaches. I don't recall ever seeing any, but it would be a welcome addition.

Last edited:
I consider all the islands that surround the harbour as part of the discussion.
Up to you, but to me Centre Island is the spot needing the most attention, and is certainly deserving of its own topic here on UT as the OP has attempted above. Centre Island is where most people go, and includes the Billy Bishop Airport.

Muggs Island, Snake Island and Forestry Island and the other areas outside of Centre Island should IMO be considered separately.

I do know that there is some very interesting things being proposed for the island that should be tabled to council in the coming months. Culturally compelling stuff if you are a red-blooded Canadian.

Stay tuned...

jumeirah-islands.jpg

Make it Mcmansion island! Think of the amazing views:D I agree the amusement park is a mess, its run down pavement is full of cracks and weeds. I would love to see this park updated, I have a feeling a lot of families wouldn't bother making the trip to the island if there were no amusement park.

No frickin' way. Supertalls all the way baby - and the world's biggest f*cking Ferris Wheel. Call it "The Big Robber." Screw the parks and greenspace. That stuff's for Don Cherry haters!

Yeah, the place needs some grooming and a few more simple amenities, but not development (or redevelopment). And please, no parking lots on fields.

Would any of that stuff involve evicting the Wards/Algonquin Islanders?

Absolutely not - but - if Rob Ford was smart he'd figure out a way to create more housing opportunities on the island and charge open market rates for it. The island has some capacity to absorb and support limited and tightly managed commercial oriented development. Don't sell anything off - just tighter leases IMO. But that isn't what I'm talking about here from my original comment. Nothing commercial. Something community oriented.

Absolutely not - but - if Rob Ford was smart he'd figure out a way to create more housing opportunities on the island and charge open market rates for it. The island has some capacity to absorb and support limited and tightly managed commercial oriented development. Don't sell anything off - just tighter leases IMO. But that isn't what I'm talking about here from my original comment. Nothing commercial. Something community oriented.

Hookers FTW

A BIG change that I would make to Centre Island (actually all of the Islands) is I would do away with the food concession monopoly that Beasley Entertainment has enjoyed for decades, a monopoly that extends to all the Islands (with the exception of one private restaurant, the Rectory Cafe on Wards Island). It is because of this monopoly that everything is overpriced ($3 for a bottle of pop?) and everything tastes like crap!

Many have commented that we need better food. This will not happen unless and until we break up this monopoly :mad:

From best I can tell the current lease with Beasley expires in 2012 unless it has been extended.

What the city should do is construct a waterside retail complex that could house a variety of restaurants from fine dining to fast food. The city would own the complex and lease out the individual spaces. In addition to this the city should allow hot dog vendors and food trucks on the Islands.

Currently the lease agreement provides for a minimum rent of $375K per year plus a certain percentage if food sales go above a certain level. From 1992 - 2002 there was only one year when Beasley paid the city more than the minimum rent (they paid $386K).

I am not an expert on commercial rents but it seems to me that $375K per year is a pittance in return to granting a a complete monopoly on food sales on Islands that are visited by Millions each year (even considering the limited season for making these sales).

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/1999/minutes/council/appa/cc990511/ed7rpt.htm

Back