News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Why Sweden Clears Snow-Covered Walkways Before Roads

See link.

In Swedish cities, the approach to snow removal used to be pretty similar to the way it is in the United States (and Toronto).

First cities would plow major highways. Then they would plow big surface streets, especially near large employers. Last, they would clear walkways and bike paths.

But after analyzing government services through a process known as “gender-balanced budgeting,” many Swedish cities, including Stockholm, prioritize snow clearance very differently. They now clear walkways and bike paths first, especially those near bus stops and primary schools. Next, they clear local roads, and then, finally, highways...

Of course clearing walkway, sidewalks, and bike paths first here in Toronto would upset the automobile gods. So it is done last. "Vision Zero"? Definitely not.

Interesting. How are intersections handled? After a heavy snowfall clearing the sidewalk, then the road, would typically result in large banks at the roadway/sidewalk boundary which pedestrians need to climb over until the sidewalk plow has a chance to revisit that location.

Sidewalk plows can typically spill over into the roadway without interfering with traffic. A roadway plow isn't typically as manoeuvrable.

Do they have different equipment or invest more time into roadway clearing to prevent filling sidewalk entrances/exits at intersections?

Interesting. How are intersections handled? After a heavy snowfall clearing the sidewalk, then the road, would typically result in large banks at the roadway/sidewalk boundary which pedestrians need to climb over until the sidewalk plow has a chance to revisit that location.

Sidewalk plows can typically spill over into the roadway without interfering with traffic. A roadway plow isn't typically as manoeuvrable.

Do they have different equipment or invest more time into roadway clearing to prevent filling sidewalk entrances/exits at intersections?

There's this new invention called a "dump truck" that could be used as part of snow removal.

There's this new invention called a "dump truck" that could be used as part of snow removal.

Of course, but that happens after the plowing is done as a next day/week type of cleanup.

This discussion assumes the order of sidewalk then street, or street then sidewalk is important. Those 2 occur within a few hours of each-other in Toronto today, for major streets at least. So, next day/week dump truck runs are kinda irrelevant.

If you mean snow removal using dump trucks and loaders should accompany the plowing stage in a timely manner, that can be done but I bet it'll triple (or more) the snow removal cost.

Last edited:
Of course, but that happens after the plowing is done as a next day/week type of cleanup.

This discussion assumes the order of sidewalk then street, or street then sidewalk is important. Those 2 occur within a few hours of each-other in Toronto today, for major streets at least. So, next day/week dump truck runs are kinda irrelevant.

If you mean snow removal using dump trucks and loaders should accompany the plowing stage in a timely manner, that can be done but I bet it'll triple (or more) the snow removal cost.

Snow plowing at corners and bus/streetcar stops should include removal as well. Maybe include driveways and intersections.

The city maybe testing sidewalk snow plow equipment on the parts of the city not previously cleared by the city.

EGcYzqGWwAEGWpL

From link.

Toronto Hydro and the communication utilities that use poles, should make an effort to move their poles OFF the sidewalks to make room for pedestrians, strollers, mobility scooters, AND the sidewalk snowplows. If possible. Don't see this happening because the suburban councillors don't see the need for it.

Reactions: DSC
In my area the city used to plow sidewalks and still do during heavy snowfall. But it seems like they may have cut back. Definitely looks like they are using less salt. Is this something happening across the board or just me?

In my area the city used to plow sidewalks and still do during heavy snowfall. But it seems like they may have cut back. Definitely looks like they are using less salt. Is this something happening across the board or just me?

More likely that since involves pedestrians, there is a lack of funding. It is were street plowing for automobiles, there is funding by taking money from elsewhere, like pedestrian sidewalk plowing.

• Haha
Reactions: DSC
I believe there is a region wide initiative to use less salt as it affect river ecosystems when it washes away with run off. On roads brine is used more often than salt, on sidewalks I'm not sure what the alternative has become short of simply not salting it at all.

I believe there is a region wide initiative to use less salt as it affect river ecosystems when it washes away with run off. On roads brine is used more often than salt, on sidewalks I'm not sure what the alternative has become short of simply not salting it at all.

Toronto has been phasing in a Salt + Sugar Beet mix since 2011 on bridges, hills, and other high-risk areas. Sugarbeet juice replaced the brine component. Evidently, the mix is better at melting ice at low temperatures than salt alone and happily is nicer on the environment (both the rivers and concrete). The only real downside is significantly higher cost.

Snow plowing at corners and bus/streetcar stops should include removal as well. Maybe include driveways and intersections.

Having teams of loader and dump truck would be costly and likely slower than most people would be happy with, not to mention the disruption to traffic as they maneuver, certainly slower than the plough they would accompany. Of course, providing this service at everyone's driveway would amplify all of this.

Having teams of loader and dump truck would be costly and likely slower than most people would be happy with, not to mention the disruption to traffic as they maneuver, certainly slower than the plough they would accompany. Of course, providing this service at everyone's driveway would amplify all of this.

Better to remove when it is still snow, before it turns to ice.

Better to remove when it is still snow, before it turns to ice.

That's the way it's done in the snowier cities farther up the 401. Sidewalk plows clear the snow but at least in Ottawa and I believe Montreal the bus stops get cleared by workers with shovels in light snow and by loaders and dump trucks in the wee hours overnight in a major snow

Back