News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Good news. We were fortuitous enough to be in the pilot area, and the one highlight of last winter was the sudden appearance of brand-new smaller plows on the local sidewalks. It's not so much clearing my sidewalk that's an issue (and I and all of my direct neighbours still did so) - it's the ones, especially renters, that never body. Suddenly the sidewalks were much more passable in general.

Hopefully they continue to push this out.

Good news. We were fortuitous enough to be in the pilot area, and the one highlight of last winter was the sudden appearance of brand-new smaller plows on the local sidewalks. It's not so much clearing my sidewalk that's an issue (and I and all of my direct neighbours still did so) - it's the ones, especially renters, that never body. Suddenly the sidewalks were much more passable in general.

Hopefully they continue to push this out.
Transportation are instructed to report to the next TEYCC on December 2 with a list of streets (or blocks?) to be plowed. That will be interesting to see. Those of us living in condos or multi-residential buildings are now probably paying a contractor to plow the sidewalks we are responsible for; too late to cancel or change these contracts for 2020/21 but if the City takes over there will be savings elsewhere.

See link for areas under the current 2020 trial. Will be waiting with bated breath for the 2021 list.

Please allow 72 hours before calling 3-1-1 about the sidewalks not being cleared.

20201208_113803.jpg

My sidewalk got plowed this morning! 😆

Learning about obstructions on the route while they're still visible?

Yes, this was my assumption too. It was a really tight squeeze between those bollards and the front yards. It really made a racket slowly scraping through here, constantly stopping and adjusting.

I kind of wonder if those bollards have to go. Looks like a tight fit.

Why are there cars on the sidewalk?!

See link.

picture.png

A white car can be seen driving up on the sidewalk in Toronto to get around traffic. Matthew Slutsky/Twitter

A Toronto resident is shining light on traffic congestion in the city by posting a video on Twitter that shows a car driving up on a sidewalk in a residential area to get around stopped vehicles.

“This is a very common occurrence in front of my house,” Matthew Slutsky wrote on Twitter.

The video appears to show a white car drive up on the sidewalk in order to dodge the traffic that was clogging up the street.

“Kids are going to get killed. This is so unsafe,” Slutsky continued.

The post ends with #VisionZero, which is the City of Toronto’s road safety plan that focuses on reducing traffic-related fatalities and serious injuries on Toronto streets. It is supposed to address vulnerable users of the transportation system, including cyclists, pedestrians, children, and seniors.

I hope not. Keeps the damn cars off of my sidewalk. :)
City should just add some curb extensions periodically to keep the traffic lanes further out and remove the fear of having your car too far out. In other countries they make this painfully obvious by making the parking area slightly elevated, and paved with a different material like pavers.

I hope not. Keeps the damn cars off of my sidewalk. :)

Was going to say: I'm very jealous of you for having those bollards -- they should be everywhere in the city, and I'd like to see them instituted as standard in sidewalk replacement across the city (where there aren't accessibility impediments).

I take about a 45-minute walk every morning before work, and encounter an average of 8-10 cars on sidewalks every single day on those walks.

Back