8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Electrify

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'll admit I don't take the subway too often, and maybe I just never noticed this before, but the last few times I've been on the subway I haven't been too impressed with the performance of the trains.

It is one thing for this to happen during rush hour with trains operating at maximum frequency, but I took the subway yesterday (Saturday) afternoon, and it never felt as if the train was getting up to speed. Sometimes it would cruise at reduced speed, other times it would accelerate and then slow down in a jerky cycle, and sometimes it would slow to a stop between stations for no explainable reason. Even after an extended layover at Eglinton, things did not improve much. In the end the ride felt no smoother than a bus operating in mixed traffic!

Am I the only one who has noticed this? Is this a recent trend, or did I only start paying attention to it recently?

This has been the norm for the last 2 years. Can't wait till the subways are automated and hopefully then we get a smoother ride, but unfortunately won't be any faster.

It's a pitty that many LRT systems in the US operate at a faster speed than the TTC's subway system, would like to get a faster subway system so people could get from point A to point B.

No that has nothing to do with anything .....

About a year ago the subways was operating at it's usual 50-70KM range all the time, sure there were slowdowns at times in rush hour and the like but that's normal given the frequency ... but for the most part, and generally always out of rush hour it was fast ... but, over the last year or so (not exactly sure when) there's been a lot of construction going on in the tunnels, repair work.

To me it seems really bad in these sections:
York Mills to Eglinton.

Davisville to Rosedale.

Anyone have the details ... I overheard they're doing a lot of power washing of the tunnels but it's been a long time now ...

How many do you want to kill today???

I guess you like to have trains jumping the rails where rail replacement is taking place as well increasing the overheated rails by having trains going full throttle to the point it cause the rails to split???? How Hot is it theses Days?????

What you want is to shut down the systems for 10,000's riders or kill a few people so you can save a few minutes getting home.......Geeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!................. This is such a "ME/I" thing and it shows what is wrong with today society.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
I guess you like to have trains jumping the rails where rail replacement is taking place as well increasing the overheated rails by having trains going full throttle to the point it cause the rails to split???? How Hot is it theses Days?????

What you want is to shut down the systems for 10,000's riders or kill a few people so you can save a few minutes getting home.......Geeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!................. This is such a "ME/I" thing and it shows what is wrong with today society.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

wow ... someone's worked up ? :) You seem passionate ? Overly so, anything personal ?

Anyway though I think the original sentiment was ill placed I think there's a valid question here ... I've noticed this slow down for at the very least the last 5 months or so i.e. it predates summer. Particularly between Sheppard and Eglinton ... what sort of work are they doing ? Also, the early closures have been in place for so much longer so it's as if they started new work this year sometime ?

The trains have slowed down and its been like this for a long long time.

I use to take the subway at Yorkdale to go to work and remembered when the trains in rush hour would run every 3 min or 4 min tops. After staying at home to raise my son I went back to work almost 5 years later and noticed the interval time has increased considerably - at least 7-8 min from Yorkdale which is not acceptable. (though I did not ride the subway from this point on a regular basis) but have noticed whenever I do the service is way slower. I can only imgaine what it is like in non rush hours. Its another way to cut service since now there will be fewer trains per hour running.

For sure on the Yonge line the subways run at a shorter interval than the Spadina line. And the other thing about the Spadina line is as soon as the train leaves Eglinton it basically no longer is running at subway speeds but runs like a street car or slower. (I love streetcars) but when I ride a subway I want to be going at subway speed. But this has always been the case when the subway is no longer in the tunnel. I am assuming for safety reasons since there could be anything on the tracks when it is outside.

Recently over a 2 week period I have had to go to Steeles and keele St so would take Lawrence West to Downsview and can't believe how long it takes to get there, My estimate is it should take 3 minutes at the most as it is 3 stops after Lawrence West and should be able to make my connecting bus at Downsvew but that is not the case. And the train or both are just sitting there at Downsview station. And I am sure the people further down at the other stations are wondering why it is taking so long for the trains to come.

Recently over a 2 week period I have had to go to Steeles and keele St so would take Lawrence West to Downsview and can't believe how long it takes to get there, My estimate is it should take 3 minutes at the most as it is 3 stops after Lawrence West and should be able to make my connecting bus at Downsvew but that is not the case. And the train or both are just sitting there at Downsview station. And I am sure the people further down at the other stations are wondering why it is taking so long for the trains to come.

I tried to read this post seriously but it just sounded more and more like a joke.. This last paragraph must be the punch line. There is a HUGE difference between stop spacing between a Wilson and a Downsview VS a St. Clair to Spadina. Just because the st. Clair to Spadina trip can be done in 1 minute doesnt mean that you should expect all stops to only be 1 minute long.

This past week I know that when the trains were running outdoors that they were slowing down because the rails would heat up in the extreme temperatures. Also, when trains go over the bridge on the 401 between Yorkdale and Wilson they've been slowing down as well; but I really haven't noticed any slower service aside from those two factors (aside from the usual signal failure and "smoke at track level").

Off topic: My girlfriend was on a train recently going to work and she told me her train was delayed because someone pulled the passenger assistance alarm on the train thinking it was the "request stop" rope like on buses and streetcars. She told me this was a semi-regular occurrence; I've never in my life of riding the subway, experienced that. People actually do it?

I just dont understand how people think that each station should be 1 minute apart. SO on the spadina line the Eglinton to Glendarin should take about 1 minute and on the yonge line from Eglinton to Lawrence should also take 1 minute. That yonge line train must be doing double the speed then since its twice as far apart. Is that realistic? These trains dont accelerate like the ferrari in your garage.

The bigger issue here is lack of information. The TTC loves to start projects but never finish them. Repairs on the Yonge line tunnels north of Eglinton and south of Sheppard were started in 2008, they were supposed to be done by end of 2010. Now posters at some stations are saying end of 2012. This is why for example there is no more late night service north of Eglinton.

As for slower service, it is has been a problem since they started this tunnel repair work. My big beef is the unpredictability of it all. The issue is not that it takes a few minutes longer to travel but rather it can take either 5min longer or sometimes 25mins longer due to unforeseen delays. The slower service should be announced on the website and travel times should be posted to let travellers know when making their trip, how long it will take. Currently it says Finch to College takes 23mins, when in fact it now takes more like 30mins.

My biggest beef is when a delay occurs due to an ill passenger. Those can slow service to a crawl, with no means to inform your boss or colleagues that you will be late, or by how long. The practice of holding trains in the middle of tunnels should be minimized. I have been stuck on the Yonge line just north of Lawrence several times now where I can see the station about 100m and it is empty, yet the train is holding in the tunnel. I was very late for a meeting since it took over 45mins to get from Finch to Bloor. That is unacceptable service during rush hour. Whatever the medical emergency is, get the person off the train immediately and resume service ASAP. Thousands of people are inconvenienced almost daily due to a single incident that causes severe delays on the entire line. The TTC needs to better train their operators and managers on how to handle these situations. Travel times and service levels must be maintained and delays should be recovered from quickly.

The practice of holding trains in the middle of tunnels should be minimized. I have been stuck on the Yonge line just north of Lawrence several times now where I can see the station about 100m and it is empty, yet the train is holding in the tunnel. The TTC needs to better train their operators and managers on how to handle these situations. Travel times and service levels must be maintained and delays should be recovered from quickly.

I agree that it is EXTREMELY frusterating when you stop in a tunnel for an extended time and you can see the next station 100m away.. Just stop at the stations. And dont start for the next station until you know you can make it. Ive been in the same situation before and I think to myself if I was just at the station Id get out and walk or take a cab. Being stuck in the tunnel feels like you are being held hostage.

Exactly. If stuck at a station one can get out, let your boss know you will be late, take a cab, take a bus. You have options. It is an operational change that would not require any money and would make service better during delays.

One additional thing that would help is if the TTC would not close the doors so quickly at busy stations as that causes many of the delays where people run to make it before the doors close, get stuck or try prying the doors open to let their friends in or to let their backpack in.

I agree that it is EXTREMELY frusterating when you stop in a tunnel for an extended time and you can see the next station 100m away.. Just stop at the stations. And dont start for the next station until you know you can make it.

This practice (stop & creep past red signal) was eliminated after the '95 crash as a safety precaution.

ATO should help since moving block signals take into account speed of the vehicles and should allow creeping into the next station again.

This practice (stop & creep past red signal) was eliminated after the '95 crash as a safety precaution.

ATO should help since moving block signals take into account speed of the vehicles and should allow creeping into the next station again.

So if the signal is glitching out at red and the problem is not known, the operator can't do anything about it and keep the train in the tunnel?

So if the signal is glitching out at red and the problem is not known, the operator can't do anything about it and keep the train in the tunnel?

Also what causes this ... sometimes I can swear there are no trains anywhere close by, yet all the signals are solid red.

Back