News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Exactly, so why not post the information about the tunnel work going on so people are prepared for a slightly longer delay. Let people know that tomorrow there will be slower service between points a and b and there expected travel time is x. The more informed the passengers the less frustration and a better ability to plan their day accordingly. If I know there is a delay, then I can give myself more time to travel or drive if required. All I ask is to know the information in advance. I am certain the TTC knows the schedule of when its personnel are working on the tunnels. When there are slow orders put on portions of track, post them on the website, let the public know. Where is the harm in that? Right now I do not see this information. I think many riders would like to know how long any construction work will take and when it is expected to be completed. Is that too much too ask of the TTC?

Exactly, so why not post the information about the tunnel work going on so people are prepared for a slightly longer delay. Let people know that tomorrow there will be slower service between points a and b and there expected travel time is x. The more informed the passengers the less frustration and a better ability to plan their day accordingly. If I know there is a delay, then I can give myself more time to travel or drive if required. All I ask is to know the information in advance. I am certain the TTC knows the schedule of when its personnel are working on the tunnels. When there are slow orders put on portions of track, post them on the website, let the public know. Where is the harm in that? Right now I do not see this information. I think many riders would like to know how long any construction work will take and when it is expected to be completed. Is that too much too ask of the TTC?

This kind of information would make good content for the LCD screens in the TRs. They could have an overview of where construction is going on and give info such as speed restrictions and time estimates. And during a shutdown, they could show updated system maps to show which segments are out of operation. Often people don't know the system that well and have to consult a map when they hear of a delay or shutdown over the PA, so an updated visual in the train would be helpful to many people.

That's right, no one cares that it takes 2-4 hours per day to commute to work and back.

If so few cared about speed as you believe, why would anyone take transit when they can just walk and save themselves $3?

+1

The actual way things are framed by some people around here (not going to name names) is thusly

1km stop spacing is stupid and no one will leave their car for that crappy service

2km stop spacing should be the Gold Standard because anything else is slow, sub-standard, and only worthy of the third world

The actual way things are framed by some people around here (not going to name names) is thusly

1km stop spacing is stupid and no one will leave their car for that crappy service

2km stop spacing should be the Gold Standard because anything else is slow, sub-standard, and only worthy of the third world

Cute attempt to threadjack, but no one is talking about stop spacing here. We are talking about slowing and stopping between stations with no other trains around, no construction workers around, and no explanations from TTC personnel.

Cute attempt to threadjack, but no one is talking about stop spacing here. We are talking about slowing and stopping between stations with no other trains around, no construction workers around, and no explanations from TTC personnel.

Seriously, has no one heard of block signaling? Not all blocks line up with stations. Trains will inevitably get stuck or slowed between stations as they catch up to trains in front.

All those people who get freaked out when the train isn't going full speed should just ride upfront where you can read the signals and see speed restrictions and construction.

Speed restrictions are not just to protect workers, in fact the vast majority are not for that purpose. Most are for places where they have redone the trackbed in some way and they want to minimize vibration while it settles and such.

Having the driver to go on the PA all the time and say "we're catching up to the train in front, so we're going to slow down now to optimize train spacing" would be far more irritating than having the train slow for a bit.

Last edited:
You don't have to announce such things on the PA. What should be done is to update the TTCwebsiteand post updated information on which portions of track are being worked on, and for how long the work will be occurring. The current projects page in general should be updated more often with latest information on projects. The public should be informed and transit enthusiasts would like to read and see the progress updates.:)

Railroads are not as reliable as roads. Roads are maintained in the spring and when unmaintained can still be driven on for 50 years. However, railroads need constant attention. Every link of rail must be inspected on a regular basis, electrical connections must be checked, cracks in cement must be filled, pipes checked for leaks its an on going battle... can you imagine how many people would be injured if (knock on wood) we had a major accident in the TTC.

Living in toronto we take a lot for granted and i think the TTC is one of those things is our transit commission.. go to NYC and you will thank god you have a subway system like ours.

but look how crazy it is!!
new-york-subway-map.jpg

I guess you like to have trains jumping the rails where rail replacement is taking place as well increasing the overheated rails by having trains going full throttle to the point it cause the rails to split???? How Hot is it theses Days?????

What you want is to shut down the systems for 10,000's riders or kill a few people so you can save a few minutes getting home.......Geeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!................. This is such a "ME/I" thing and it shows what is wrong with today society.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have an idea, lets shut down the line 100% where TTC has to do the repairs or replacements even if its mean days, weeks, or months to do. This way TTC will complete the work faster and people will bitch less.

The OP asked a simple question and your patronizing, if not vitriol, responses don't really help. You could have just informed him that there's work on the tracks and that's causing the delays. Obviously the TTC did not do a good enough job informing the OP or else he wouldn't have to post here with the question. It wouldn't kill the TTC to be doing a better job informing its customers of delays.

The OP asked a simple question and your patronizing, if not vitriol, responses don't really help. You could have just informed him that there's work on the tracks and that's causing the delays. Obviously the TTC did not do a good enough job informing the OP or else he wouldn't have to post here with the question. It wouldn't kill the TTC to be doing a better job informing its customers of delays.

They always inform us.... WHEN WHERE ON THE TRAIN!?!?!

Okay, so why not start a list of slow spots here then? Those of us in the know can let you know what is causing them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back