News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Not too far from a certain mayor who pushed for LRT to all parts of the city with nothing for downtown.
Other than the one heading into Union Station and down Bremner?

Otherwise, here was no LRT downtown in the previous mayors LRT plan; but I'm hard-pressed to see where else one could be put. And City Council under Miller did ask Metrolinx to have the first phase of the DRL built by 2024.

Other than the one heading into Union Station and down Bremner?

The one that goes from a nice thick LRT line on the map to a streetcar line as it hits the CBD? That line is not meant to serve downtown in so much as its meant to terminate there.

Otherwise, here was no LRT downtown in the previous mayors LRT plan; but I'm hard-pressed to see where else one could be put.

Downtown doesn't need LRTs. It's got the streetcar network and subways. They just need the DRL. And that's what I was alluding to.

And City Council under Miller did ask Metrolinx to have the first phase of the DRL built by 2024.

...and that came up after York and the province started pushing the Yonge extension and Miller risked significant blowback from North York councillors if he didn't make the Yonge North extension conditional on the DRL. Remember all that talk about how nobody would get a seat south of Sheppard?

How long was Miller in office? How long was Transit City on the table? When did he ask for the DRL? He cares about the DRL alright.:rolleyes:

Downtown doesn't need LRTs. It's got the streetcar network and subways. They just need the DRL.
Precisely. Smitherman came up with a subway plan, and failed to include the subway needed in downtown. Even Miller and Giambrone have talked about DRL ... talking about a 2018 start date. It's only in this election, that we are now starting to talk about what happens around 2020.

Shouldn't the DRL NOW group be pushing the candidates to support the DRL? Or is that group dead?

Shouldn't the DRL NOW group be pushing the candidates to support the DRL? Or is that group dead?

Aren't several members of the DRL NOW group on this site defending Smitherman for not including the DRL in his plan? I find that rather odd. Seems like they're kinda forgetting the "NOW" part of it...

Aren't several members of the DRL NOW group on this site defending Smitherman for not including the DRL in his plan? I find that rather odd. Seems like they're kinda forgetting the "NOW" part of it...
Yeah - they should support a candidate is in favour of DRL earlier than Metrolinx has scheduled. And that would be ...

Yeah - they should support a candidate is in favour of DRL earlier than Metrolinx has scheduled. And that would be ...

Fitz, how does the forecasted 17,500 pphpd ridership demand for the DRL not outcompete and out-prioritize tram lines carrying a couple thousand during AM peak hour at the most? Are you that determined to see Toronto fail as a transit city?

Fitz, how does the forecasted 17,500 pphpd ridership demand for the DRL not outcompete and out-prioritize tram lines carrying a couple thousand during AM peak hour at the most?
I've never said it didn't out-prioritize. But we need to build it all. We shouldn't be pitting projects against each other. Though with the Eglinton LRT underway, the heavy lifting is done. If we build the DRL, the marginal cost for put in LRT from Eglinton to Steeles, completely on the surface is almost trivial.

I've never said it didn't out-prioritize. But we need to build it all. We shouldn't be pitting projects against each other. Though with the Eglinton LRT underway, the heavy lifting is done. If we build the DRL, the marginal cost for put in LRT from Eglinton to Steeles, completely on the surface is almost trivial.

If you prioritize everything, you end up prioritizing nothing, especially when what should be the #1 priority isn't being prioritized.

I would think that a group like DRL NOW! can only logically support the only candidate that mentions the DRL, which I believe is Sarah Thomson.

Back