News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

OMG I totally said this to my friend yesterday!! I'm pretty much a centrist politically, and Giambrone is farther to the left than I like, but at least he had a vision and the capacity to come up with new, innovative ideas. I'd be curious to hear his transit platform lol.

What vision? His entire platform basically was, "I'll run the city off the cheat sheet Miller left me."

And then there's his management of the TTC...

Smitherman's plan is utterly lame, same as the other candidates. The more I see of this transit planning idiocy from this bunch, the more I think it should be left entirely up to Metrolinx.

+1

Now that's something I'd support. Personally, I would have loved to have seen what Metrolinx would have done if they were un-encumbered by legacy plans like Transit City or VIVA Next.

I didn't have an issue with this. TTC is moving forward on a number of different issues than it was prior to him.

Changing direction for a company with 30 employees is challenging; it must be nearly impossible to change the direction of a 10,000 employee operation.

I didn't have an issue with this. TTC is moving forward on a number of different issues than it was prior to him.

Changing direction for a company with 30 employees is challenging; it must be nearly impossible to change the direction of a 10,000 employee operation.

I have a distaste for leaders who don't take responsibility for the failings of their subordinates. If he thinks it's nearly impossible for him to turn around a 10 000 employee operation, then he shouldn't take the big chair. And nor should he aspire to an even bigger chair. If 10 000 is hard for him, just imagine how taxing he'll find the entire city's administration.

Saying it's difficult is not an excuse.

And seriously, we are talking basics here. Not having employees sleeping on the job. Not having them abandon streetcars full of riders close to rush hour to go do banking or grab falafels. That's what the public expected of him. And he did not deliver.

Last edited:
I have a distaste for leaders who don't take responsibility for the failings of their subordinates. If he thinks it's nearly impossible for him to turn around a 10 000 employee operation, then he shouldn't take the big chair. And nor should he aspire to an even bigger chair. If 10 000 is hard for him, just imagine how taxing he'll find the entire city's administration.

Indeed. This is why the job should pay $2M per year or better; so the 1 in 5 million person capable of such a thing will be willing to take the job.

Most Mississauga buses would go to East Mall, not Kipling or Islington if the line was extended to Sherway. Just FYI.
What East Mall station? The TTC Sherway extension proposal added one station at Queensway and West Mall. There might be a case for extending to East Mall - though no one has considered it. I just don't see the point of extending to Sherway.

Last edited:
What, all the service improvments, technology improvements, new equipment, new lines, heck even the staff seem politer these days than they were 3 years ago!

I'm really not sure what your referring to here. Just the new equipment alone since Giambrone took over is stunning ... with hundreds of new buses, streetcars, and train cars ordered.

Okay, the guy clearly has some sexual issues ... but it's not like he is going around priesting little boys.

What, all the service improvments, technology improvements, new equipment, new lines, heck even the staff seem politer these days than they were 3 years ago!

I'm really not sure what your referring to here. Just the new equipment alone since Giambrone took over is stunning ... with hundreds of new buses, streetcars, and train cars ordered.

Okay, the guy clearly has some sexual issues ... but it's not like he is going around priesting little boys.

Ok, enough about Giambrone. Let's put "his sex scandal fiasco" talk to rest. This is Toronto, not Hollywood.
As much as I hate TC still, Giambrone was the closest to making the transit plan more convincing than anyone else, even Kim Jong Miller. Any more foul plays involving TTC, we'll be seeing another nail in the coffin, something that was already done with Eglinton West, Sheppard, and Queen subways.

St. Clair West Streetcar... nuff said.

You should look into what happened that caused the crazy delays on St Clair. The various causes were hardly related to Giambrone holding the chair position.

People love to complain (especially in Toronto), but improvements have been steady on several fronts. The problem is that growth in ridership is not being met with increased funding, or sufficient service expansion. TTC needs money, not a new chair.

St. Clair West Streetcar... nuff said.
How was the issues there Giambrone's fault? Construction started in 2005, over a year before Giambrone became Chair! Phase 1 was complete only a few weeks after he became Chair. The biggest issues were related to the City's (not the TTC, but the City) decision to try and co-ordinate several other projects at the same time. And the biggest delay was due to the corruption in the judiciary which lead to the long delay in construction ... however even that was over before Giambrone came in.

From the TTC's side, everyone seems quite happy with the current operation. I've seen a lot of comments from users who are quite happy - at least after the initial schedule was rationalized.

Perhaps TTC should have stuck to their gunns and tried to keep Toronto Hydro away from the project ... but that whole process was underway before Giambrone took over as Chair. Looks more like a City planning screw-up.

So it's definitely not snuff said.

I was speaking with a city hall fellow, and he acknowledged that St. Clair was a mistake. In addition to all the construction problems, the opinion of the Transit City team is that parts of St. Clair were too narrow for such a right of way. That is why Transit City calls for tunnels on streets with similar issues.

+1

Now that's something I'd support. Personally, I would have loved to have seen what Metrolinx would have done if they were un-encumbered by legacy plans like Transit City or VIVA Next.

Whatever the Premier wants. Metrolinx is just a rubber stamp.

What East Mall station? The TTC Sherway extension proposal added one station at Queensway and West Mall. There might be a case for extending to East Mall - though no one has considered it. I just don't see the point of extending to Sherway.

Don't you know anything? :rolleyes: Straight out of Network 2011 and every proposal recommendation since...

subway-5104-16.gif

Sherway Gardens is one of the largest trip generators west of Kipling btw, and a stop there would provide ready access to multiple highway-based bus route feeders from Mississauga Transit, Brampton Transit, Oakville Transit, YRT, even GO Transit. Both the 191 and 192 could feed from there easy, as well linking up several routes from the Long Branch hub as well such that 110B, 23 Lakeshore and 5 Dixie customers could now have a one-seat direct ride to the subway as well. Even a new downtown-bound local TTC bus could between Sherway and Union Stn via the Gardiner as a means of alleviating the St George/Bloor-Yonge bottlenecks during peak hours. One Sherway might be just a few condos now, but imagine what could happen if the vacant fields on the other side of Queensway/427 were redeveloped, triggered by the presence of a new subway so closeby?

You might look at Sherway today and see big-box hell; but when I see it, I thinking new urbanism a la Vaughan Metro Centre or Trinity Commons in north Brampton. The potential is there and if ran above-grade following the Milton Sub and paralleliing the 427 south to Sherway this could be one of the most affordable mass construction projects modern Toronto will have experienced.

Whatever the Premier wants. Metrolinx is just a rubber stamp.

I agree with this. Pritchard and his cronies are just pawns in an endless political chess match. The way the system's going, no matter who's elected municipally very little will change without drastic uprooting of Queen's Park. $17 billion and guaranteed the tax payers in this city will end up paying for it, that's what the deputy premier would have in store.

And as usual if the City is planning for this, it will be a mess. Overbudget, incomplete work, financial scandal of some sort, etc, etc, etc. Council can barely even vote correctly on proposals for crying out loud...that is if they even bother to show up for it.

Back