News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Sidewalks in the core are unclear with snowbanks blocking the crosswalks today.

You will find the odd Pedestrian on the sidewalks from time to time, but most often you will see no one. Not a great place to walk or see anything in the first place.

If you look closely at the bus stops, they are only clear for the front door and you have to climb over a snowbank if you get off the rear door.

Have a fair number of shots that going to be sent to the City as to "why" when it goes against City policy in the first place.

Take a look a Boston Pizza under construction at Sq One Dr and City Centre and you will see the back of the building facing the street. All the buildings going in that area have their back facing the street. So much for street retail.

As for the shuttle bus, I have yet to see anyone on it either along the route or arriving/departing SQ One to date based on over 30 sightings. What a waste of money.

The Capital stills has a few retail spots empty, but most of it is medical use in the first place.

The new Daniels building is out dated and I have very little hope for this area based on what Amacon building on Hurontario St

As for the shuttle bus, I have yet to see anyone on it either along the route or arriving/departing SQ One to date based on over 30 sightings. What a waste of money.

Would you rather people drive forever?

No stupid shuttle bus is going to get people out of their cars.

If they really want to get people out of their cars, I have a few suggestions for them:

- actually clear all the sidewalks and actually do it properly too
- a lot more service for the underserviced and overcrowded route 61
- remove layover time for route 26 at CCTT (what is with all the damn layovers in the middle of all trips for all routes anyways?), or take it out of CCTT altogether
- add more shelters for bus stops? stop putting bus stops in incovenient locations (like the so-called Robert Speck stop for route 202)?
- stop allowing single-storey, stand-alone retail buildings in the middle of nowhere that face away from the street and are made out of foam (i.e. big box)
- finish Webb Dr so people don't have to walk through an empty field like they do now???

Agree completely, doady. There's many things that make transit an unpleasant experience that don't get talked about. Fixing these types of things would have a greater effect than any sort of branding, pretty buses, or creative scheduling.

If they really want to get people out of their cars, I have a few suggestions for them:

- remove layover time for route 26 at CCTT (what is with all the damn layovers in the middle of all trips for all routes anyways?), or take it out of CCTT altogether
- add more shelters for bus stops? stop putting bus stops in incovenient locations (like the so-called Robert Speck stop for route 202)?
- stop allowing single-storey, stand-alone retail buildings in the middle of nowhere that face away from the street and are made out of foam (i.e. big box)
- finish Webb Dr so people don't have to walk through an empty field like they do now???

All excellent ideas. I'm just saying that a bus as an option will do more than no bus at all.

100% agree.

Add 19 to the list that layover at Sq One for 6-8 minutes.

There are too many areas of the city that under services now.

There are stops in the wrong locations because 1 or 2 live next to it than getting them to walk a few 100' to the right location of a stop. Then the traffic engineers don't like stop where they should be as it interferes with traffic.

This shuttle bus is in the wrong location and wrong locations will never get people out of their cars in the first place as well poor headways.

Stand alone condo's/buildings doesn't help land planning as well transit.

I was on 61 this past week and feel sorry for riders who have to use it on a daily base. I can go into Toronto faster to a Best Buy than trying to do it with MT service.

The city cannot follow its own policy for clearing snow even a round City hall and this includes bus stops. I heading over that way today and may stop by the bus stop to see if been clear. If not, take a picture of it.

To start, I should state that I live in this area. Just a few comments.

I am quite impressed with the change in direction the city has taken over the past few years. They are realizing that MCC needs to be more urban. I can't be sure if it will work, but the effort is commendable. More buildings are being built to the street, with street level storefronts, on street parking is being implemented, and some concern is being paid to architecture.

Having said that, MCC sufferers because its initial layout wasn't intended to be urban. Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe are far too wide to ever allow for their integration into an urban throughfare, they will remain quasi-highways. Too many buildings are towers in the park, and while City Hall has stated that redevelopment will rectify this, I can't see adding some storefronts to the parking lots fronting these towers as being sufficient to create an urban setting.

I would like to say that I walk frequently in MCC, but honestly, while occasionally I push myself to do so, it remains a sterile, windswept, barren environment save for the throngs of cars whipping by. As density and more urban buildings increase, I hope that this will change. I do fear that these will remain isolated pockets that will never develop sufficient critical mass to become effective and overcome existing hindrances.

I also can't bring myself to use the Mississauga transit services, my past experiences turning me off for now. Rumours of light rail running along Hurontario remain a fantasy for me, but until then, the honda is my daily means of getting around.

Hey Liz, welcome to the forum. Your comments echo some of mine. Most people would not call MCC a fully urbanized environment yet. What's fascinating, to me, is the effort to transform this area into something actually resembling a real urban centre. As far as I know, no one else is doing anything like this in Canada.

I remember when the City Centre consisted of a big mall, in the middle of a sea of parking lots (no garages), the old excuse for a City Hall (now demolished), and three or four office towers surrounded by their own parking. There were almost no pedestrians, as there were no destinations to walk to. Things have changed hugely, and more changes are coming. It's an interesting exercise.

Back