40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

B

badga416

Liberals getting set for run to replace Martin
Dec. 21, 2005. 01:00 AM
JAMES TRAVERS

Ottawa—Forget waiting for the people to decide. Ambitious Liberals are readying for a fast run at the leadership if Paul Martin fails to win a majority that looks out of reach.

With this campaign still in doubt, no one wants to embarrass the Prime Minister or, worse still, enrage advisers who firmly control the party and may ultimately determine Martin's successor. But many Liberals are certain the party is heading for another minority and say new leadership must be found before the next election.

Topping everyone's list of heirs-apparent is Canada's ambassador to the U.S., Frank McKenna. As a civil servant and Martin appointment, McKenna is being properly careful. Even so, the former New Brunswick premier is working his Rolodex, making frequent Canadian speeches and is widely expected to get Martin's blessing should the Prime Minister step down.

Others either organizing or keeping options open include immigration and Ontario political minister Joe Volpe, former deputy prime minister John Manley and Michael Ignatieff, the Harvard professor whose transparent leadership plans riled Martin loyalists enough to turn the fight for the Etobicoke-Lakeshore nomination into an ugly brawl. Hovering in the wings are also former Jean Chrétien ministers Martin Cauchon and Brian Tobin, as well as Maurizio Bevilacqua, one of the brightest of next-generation Liberals left out of a weak Martin cabinet.

Breaking ranks now would be suicidal for any wannabe. But in background interviews, Liberals on both sides of the divide between Martin and Chrétien said the first post-election priority must be renewal. Without that, they predict a repeat of the 1984 election when Brian Mulroney swept away tired Liberals to hold power for nine years.

"If Martin leads this party into the next election you will have a Conservative majority," says a lifetime Liberal at the centre of one of the fledgling leadership efforts. "Anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy."

Those supporting new leadership worry that the powerful clique around Martin will interpret a second minority as a victory, mistaking holding 24 Sussex Dr., the Prime Minister's official residence, as the prize.

"Martin's people decided they won the last election," says a well-connected Liberal not involved in any leadership campaign. "For Liberals, winning is not a minority."

Yet that's the most likely scenario as this campaign heads into the Christmas recess, and it makes Liberals nervous. If Martin narrowly hangs on to power, the Conservatives will be looking for a fresh challenger that an aging Prime Minister leading a party in power too long won't be able to match.

There's hope in leadership camps that Martin will reach the same conclusion. But there's an even stronger sense that those around the Prime Minister will press him to stay.

"If he goes, they go," says one Liberal now readying a leadership campaign. "You won't be able to move them out with a crowbar."

Ousting an unwilling Martin would be remarkably difficult. No faction is remotely strong enough to match the Martin forces that rebuilt the party while toppling Chrétien. Unless Liberals are defeated, or Martin accepts that his objectives of 10 years of power and sweeping change are now impossible, Liberals will plunge into a leadership fight.

According to some, the first shots have already been fired. They say what seemed like a local overreaction to the rush to find Ignatieff a safe Liberal seat was in fact an early test of leadership wills.

Instead of embracing a candidate of Ignatieff's unusual calibre, Liberals close to Martin reacted fiercely to a foolishly premature attempt by his supporters to push someone with no political experience to the front of the leadership queue. Ignatieff is expected to survive and win the riding, but with his leadership prospects and human rights reputation bruised.

Less mysterious and more upfront is the new reality facing the party that dominated federal politics for a century. Scandal and Martin's decision to run against Chrétien's record have badly damaged a Liberal brand now urgently requiring repair.

Barring a campaign upswing, Martin's attempt to rebuild the party without losing its stranglehold on power will fail in January when Liberals again fall short of a majority. The party will then have to move forward by leaving behind both the Chrétien years and Martin's 17-month minority.

That means Chrétien's former ministers and those closely associated with Martin's disappointing administration have little chance of becoming leader. That isn't lost on Manley, who's listening to supporters but not committing to another bid, and it should be obvious to Volpe, Cauchon and Tobin.

What's even more apparent is that a leadership campaign is now roiling just below this election's surface. It won't stay there much longer.

article

-----------------------------------------------------------
If Martin gets in with anything less than a majority I think his time is over. Although he may want to battle it out another day his reputation seems to have been forever tarnished by adscam even after receiving a pass by Judge Gomery.

An interesting article on the pretenders to the throne - I agree that those tightly bound to the Chretien and Martin government's will be a difficult sell as "change".

I wonder who is looking over Harpers shoulder besides McKay?

Either way the 39th parliament is looking to have a even shorter life than 38.

If Martin gets in with anything less than a majority I think his time is over.
I think this is a fair statement and I think this is the likely outcome of the vote next month. A minority gov't (which the Liberals will likely hold onto in my opinion) won't be enough to stop leadership desires. Martin won't be toast right away (as Harper likely will be), but certainly within two years at the latest.

i think volpe would be good. he is afterall from toronto. does anybody know volpe's position on the eglinton subway?

dan:

Volpe is utterly useless...actually come to think of it, the same can be said of most Liberal MPs from the GTA.

AoD

Volpe is utterly useless

Honestly I think that the above comment is being far to fair to Volpe. He epitomizes the MP that has little regard for his local constituency because of his ministerial duties. That he is Minister Responsible for Ontario and Toronto is a complete joke. I can't recollect a single time he took an advocacy position for the city or the province.

As the article notes, the Chretienites will likely be scared from making a run as they are likely to be tainted from Adscam. Ignatief is just too inexperienced at this point but it would be great to see him in cabinet after a bit. I think McKenna and Manley would be the most legit of those in the waiting. At the very least they would best positioned to repair the US file in the late and post Bush era.

that bad, really. :eek

you know who i think might want/take the next liberal leadership position?

hold on to your chair, here it comes...are you ready??

BELINDA! :eek

i can just feel it. she has the power, the money and the influence - comes with money. she wants to be on top. look at it this way, she has no connection to the adscam, she's the untouched virgin.

the stronach family is powerful. you bet your ass they want one of their own on top of the nation.

she has the power, the money and the influence - comes with money. she wants to be on top. look at it this way, she has no connection to the adscam, she's the untouched virgin.

All of which is true.....it's just she has very little in the way of internal party support.

Two words: Bill Graham.

Though I fear he'd never do it.

But you have to be impressed that a guy like him has been able to dominate the most diverse riding in the country, consistently, through four elections.

I could live with P.M. Graham, but I too suspect he doesn't consider himself a contender.

I too think Graham would make a fine PM. Belinda, on the other hand, just doesn't seem to have the public speaking ability. I've seen her give a few speeches, and they were pretty rocky. I don't think she has what it takes.

I think I'd be happy enough with Graham - he is surviving the ultimate political test in federal poltiics - Minister of National Defense - most other ministers have come out of that portfolio scathed, even in much easier times. He represents the social-centre, fiscal centre of the Liberal Party, opposed to the fiscal right, social indifferent Martin/Manley set.

The other Liberal who I wished would at least run in a leadership race was Lloyd Axworthy - seemed much more decent than most of the rest, and had the skills and the brains to boot.

Maybe it's the Toronto-centricity of this forum, but this is the only place I've seen talk of Bill Graham as a potential leader, at least lately--I thought his trajectory's more t/w retirement, not leadership...

"I'm waiting for Justin Trudeau. Not if, when... (?)"

Agreed.

Back