News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Maybe it's the Toronto-centricity of this forum, but this is the only place I've seen talk of Bill Graham as a potential leader, at least lately--I thought his trajectory's more t/w retirement, not leadership

Well I think its nothing more than just that - "talk" - about Bill Graham as a leader. I agree there is no buzz anywhere else let alone from Graham himself as a potential leader. There are a lot of people on this forum that are in the Toronto Centre riding and accordingly have more exposure to him.

Interestingly, after reading some of the above posts I did some googling on Graham to see if there had ever been any talk about him as a leader. What I did come across was a lot of chatter that he is actually gay. Perhaps that is why he has seemed to never aspired to be PM, having a sense that Canada is not quite ready for that or maybe he didn't didn't want to get the treatment on the campaign trail.

Nonetheless he has been a very competent Foreign Affairs Minister (Pettigrew more recently pales in comparison) and as Minister of National Defence he has gained the respect of the CDS and quite a lot of members of the Cdn Forces for his attempts to clear through the administrative and political nighmare that exists in Ottawa. Quietly competent compared to many of his peers but clearly not in the waiting for 24 Sussex. He got my vote in '04 and will again on 1/23/06.

He seems level-headed, well-spoken and to have a real grasp of policy. I, too, had the impression that he might be gay. He is married, so I ignored it. I don't really think that Canada would react poorly to a gay PM. Most people who would not vote for a candidate on that basis probably don't vote for the Liberals, anyway.

Given the dirth of talent in the Liberal party, I can't think of anyone particularly better qualified. Manley would probably get more support from the Martin crowd (provided it wasn't a matter of forcing Martin out; more that Martin saw the writing on the wall and chose to exit in a more dignified manner) and Bay Street.

Other than that, who? Ignatieff? Too fresh. Trudeau is too young, yet. Tobin might make another run, but I doubt it. Sheila Copps? Anne McLellan? There doesn't really seem to be any obvious candidates.

Stronach_fnl.jpg

*ahem*

Naw, she's been already mentioned in this thread.

Allan Tonks, maybe?
9203864_ba8c48cd0c_t.jpg

Well, that's what happens when you purge the party of anyone who is seen as a threat to your leadership.

those conturds need some purging. all that backup is making them irritable. :p

the liberals may have purged too much which has destroyed the delicate balance of friendly bacteria.

politics and bowel movements have lots in common. :eek

And in case there's a lack of brain power in the House of Commons
allbrain_white_front_small_smaller_images.jpg

sorry, but I just don t see a Toronto area candidate. It would be a strategic and public relations error for the Liberals. This is their stronghold and the rest of the country already resents it enough. I think they like Mckenna b/c he is a maritimer from the most french (Quebec) province of that group. A westerner (with a french name) would also be good. If you look historically, I think there is some unwritten rule for a quebec/non-quebec alternation?

Also I am surprised more jokes were not made about Belinda's virginity (or lack thereof) - I am not sure whether to commend the group or criticize.

Ummm, haven't the past three (elected) Prime Ministers been Quebeckers?

Scott Brison.

Thanks for the reminder. Also disproves the Bill-Graham-can't-because-he's-gay theorem.

Also I am surprised more jokes were not made about Belinda's virginity (or lack thereof) - I am not sure whether to commend the group or criticize.

You mean, like Bill Clinton being the happiest man in North America come 2008/09? Like, his being "first gentleman" on both sides of the 49th...

Back