News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Justin Trudeau????????

Why? Beause of the name?

Martin's political accumen is sad. He had a majority government who's term would only be running out now. He blew it by calling an early election. The guy should have fired his useless political staff, but he chose not to. Too bad if he's feeling the knife in his back. He spent a good amount of time trying to put one into the back of Chretien.

Come to think of it, he'd be the perfect miketoronto choice: represents all the "regular Canadians" out there
clng_shatner.gif

Bill Graham being gay is a bit of an open secret...marriage or not. But he has taken an approach to it that's either pretty classy or obfuscating, depending on your perspective. He won't confirm or deny anything to any media, just saying "I don't talk about my personal life." Which is fine with me, as it's really none of our business.

Graham is married and has two children and three grandchildren.

He has occasionally been targeted by rumours in now-defunct Frank alleging that he is bisexual. As a result of the Frank allegations, Conservative MP Cheryl Gallant once heckled Graham in the House by shouting "Ask your boyfriend!" at him as he answered a question. Gallant later expressed regret over the remark, conceding it was inappropriate. Although Graham's riding includes Toronto's Church and Wellesley gay village, and he consequently has a gay-friendly voting record in the House of Commons, Graham has never publicly acknowledged the Frank rumours in any way.

In 1960, Graham drove a Land Rover from England to Pakistan and back. The adventure took five months.

hmmm, i don't that a gay person would drive a land rover from england to pakistan. most gay people i've come across care about the environment.

In parliament, Graham became a member and then the chair of the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Trade. He was appointed Minister of Foreign Affairs in a cabinet shuffle by Prime Minister Jean Chrétien in January 2002. In December 2003, the new Prime Minister, Paul Martin, Jr., appointed Graham to the same position in his cabinet. In the cabinet shuffle that followed the 2004 Canadian election, Graham was moved to the Defence portfolio. He later made controversal remarks about Canada paying the price if it did not join the missile defense program with the United States.

but he likes large metallic & phallic things.

soo very confusing. maybe he's BI ;)

hmmm, i don't that a gay person would drive a land rover from england to pakistan. most gay people i've come across care about the environment.

Note the date: 1960. Long before today's scale of zealousness over environmental matters. And also long before Land Rover-type vehicles became a byword for "environmentally incorrect".

Besides, relative to said trip etc, don't discount queercult as one of the many impetuses behind today's manias for adventure travel, road-trip rambling, etc...

Conservative MP Cheryl Gallant once heckled Graham in the House by shouting "Ask your boyfriend!" at him as he answered a question. Gallant later expressed regret over the remark, conceding it was inappropriate.

Still so weird that people could get all worked up over someone (potentially) being gay. The amazing thing is the very right-wing Cheryl Gallant expressing regret over what came out of her mouth. Now that's impressive.

"Besides, relative to said trip etc, don't discount queercult as one of the many impetuses behind today's manias for adventure travel, road-trip rambling, etc... "

08233-5.jpg

Oh yeah. Mustn't forget. Love to see Pettigrew, Graham + Brison in a remake

adma:

That's a melange a trois I can live without.

AoD

getting back on topic.......

McKenna, Manley already laying groundwork for Liberal leadership?

By JANE TABER

Tuesday, January 3, 2006

The body isn't even warm yet, and already there are at least two senior Liberals -- Frank McKenna and John Manley -- who insiders say are quietly gearing up their leadership campaigns. The fact this is happening is an indication that some Liberals think Paul Martin's campaign is in deep trouble.

Indeed, at least one senior Liberal was stunned when the phone rang just before Christmas and Mr. McKenna was on the other end. The Canadian ambassador to the United States, and more important, the man who is rumoured to want to succeed Mr. Martin, is calling around to well-connected Liberals. In his so-called "holiday call" he did not specifically mention a possible leadership bid, but the insider said that was clearly the subtext.

In fact, Mr. McKenna, a former New Brunswick premier, did not ask directly for support, but was told by the insider that he could count on his help if he decides to seek the leadership. Other Liberals have expressed similar sentiments. Mr. McKenna is, said the insider, also careful to mention that there is no race "yet."

Meanwhile, former deputy prime minister, finance minister, foreign affairs minister and industry minister John Manley is holding a $200-a-ticket fundraiser for Ottawa West-Nepean Liberal candidate Lee Farnworth on Jan. 19. He is the guest speaker -- and laying the groundwork for his future?

Well, if were between those two, I'd be concerned about Manley. His attitude towards cities was quite negative. He told David Jeans of Transport 2000 that public transit was the cause of urban sprawl. Jeans, who's a good yacker, had to actually pause to assimilate what he heard.
It was funny, but quite worrisome if one is interested in urban issues and how they figure at the federal level (which is never that well).

A cause of urban sprawl, yes...
Indeed. Quite visible around some Go Stations and of course who can forget streetcar suburbs that were as far away from the city core as possible (still quite dense because of the walk to the streetcar itself).

Public transit sprawl tends to be far more dense than automobile based sprawl.

Back