News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I have heard that their store on Laird (near Eglinton) will be opening sometime after Christmas

I saw the sign there over the weekend. It looks like somewhere in the big box complex where the Best Buy is located. I wonder if they will build it on the Laird side facing the street. The street facing lots are not very big though, but I did notice they cleared a number of older buildings on the north side of Wicksteed near Brentcliffe, south of the Canadian Tire. Looks like more stores going in there.

It was actually both names - The Great Atlantic and Pacific Company was in small letters and the Front Street Market was in large letters

It's still the Dominon Front Street Market. I don't remember it ever being an A&P, but A&P owns Dominion, so it couldn't have been much different.

Interesting. It must somehow be connected to Conrad Black's takeover, and eventual sale (after grabbing the overfunded pension) of Dominion.

Yes, but dominion was owned by Argus, which His Lordship bought in the early 80s and subsequently sold later in the 80s to A&P. That would account for the different union setups in each brand.

I saw the sign there over the weekend. It looks like somewhere in the big box complex where the Best Buy is located. I wonder if they will build it on the Laird side facing the street. The street facing lots are not very big though, but I did notice they cleared a number of older buildings on the north side of Wicksteed near Brentcliffe, south of the Canadian Tire. Looks like more stores going in there.

Nope. The Sobeys is under construction, and it's at the back of the site, away from Laird, towards the Home Depot. Next to the LCBO, I believe.

I love the velvety Parma prosciutto they sell in the St. Lawrence Market ( south building ); on Saturdays it gets a little table all to itself.

Where in the market is this fancy bacon, BB? I loves me some fancy bacon.

On the east side, about half way down - they sell meat, cheese, deli stuff.

The Canadian prosciutto has salt granules in it but this stuff is the real deal.

Ah, I think I know where you mean. I usually get my Lesley Stowe crackers at that place.

It's Scheffler's (sp?) deli...and yes, their meats are very good. They have a great serrano ham there as well.

Thanking you both.

Cumbrae's also carries a fabulously dreamy melt-in-your-mouth Niagara Prosciutto with nary a salt granule to spoil the experience. Highly recommended.

Can i just bitch one more time about Dominion? On Nov. 17th I had to purchase a few items, including a tub of yogurt and went to Dominion. On Nov. 18th I went to scoop said yogurt onto my fruit but was stopped cold in my tracks by the best before date of Nov. 17th.

Just back from a walk. Here's some pics of the place...

DSCN3984.jpg

DSCN3986.jpg

DSCN3982.jpg

DSCN3983.jpg

Wow! What a change that makes to that part of Front Street.

Agreed. That intersection was always kind of a dead spot in the midst of what is otherwise a pretty lively area. Especially at night it will be much nicer to walk past this well lit store instead of a semi-abandoned warehouse. Hopefully Sobeys will also take better care of the grass strip down Princess and prevent it from becoming overgrown and filled with illegally dumped garbage, as it was in the past.

Once something goes into that closed cafe across the street, and the East Lofts project finishes slightly to the north, the area will be jumping.

Oh, I saw a full page ad in the Star the other day: the store opens at 9am on Friday and there will be door prizes, etc. for the first customers.

Back