News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

They've had produce and baked goods in place for a few days, led me to think it may be open by now! Finally I can walk to the grocery store without having to put up with the world's worst Dominion or making the dreary trek to the loblaws.

All this area needs is a few more condos, to nuke that greyhound terminal and to slap a second cup or timothy's (already a new starbucks that just popped up) into the old princess cafe and voila, Front street's coolness extended.

So going over after my run tonight.

In other neighbourhood news, the dry cleaner in the laneway between the two Market Square buildings is leaving. So I guess I have to start taking my shirts to the American Psycho cleaner on Church.

First Sobeys visit complete, and the verdict is good even though we missed out on the coupons given to the first 100 customers. They've done a fantastic job inside, love the polished floors and the natural light from the windows. It has a great "loft" feel but doesn't feel like you're shopping in a discount warehouse. I like the big decorative christmas pots outside the front doors, and I assume they will plant living things in them come spring.

Everything inside is displayed very attractively, and though the aisles are quite narrow I'm happy to see they've provided suitably small shopping carts instead of those SUV-sized behemoths that cause traffic jams in most stores. Selection and prices seemed pretty competitive, and everything looked quite fresh (which is not surprising since they just opened, I guess!) The staff are still friendly and haven't had the spirit beaten out of them yet. The true test of freshness, stock, prices and service will come a few months down the road once the newness wears off.

Only downside so far: there now seem to be almost eternal traffic jams on Princess St. as large delivery trucks battle for position backing in and out of the narrow lot. With parking along both sides, several TTC buses and a parking garage entrance already competing for that small piece of road, walking around there will require a bit more awareness than it used to.

AP: Have you tried Del Ray Cleaners at 586 Parliament? I use them for my custom shirts - they do a nice hand wash and ironing that doesn't use icky chemicals and I've always been delighted with their work.

Are they the ones on the West side, up near Wellesley? If so, my Cabbagetown friends rave about them, but it's too far for me to schlep my laundry. I can barely manage to take the things that I don't trust the day to day cleaner with to Dove.

Just went today too..

The floors are very nice, and the interior feels very nice..

I found prices definitely higher, and selection IMHO, is less. I think the store is generally smaller. The pharmacy is just a few shelves, and they do not have a bulk self-serve nut/confectionery like the Dominion does. However the prepared food section is bigger.

The clearly know who their customers are - there are large organic and prepared food selections. I'd forgotten how Sobey's carries unusual meat - not just lamb, but rabbit & venison too.

Mmmmmm ... Bunny and Bambi are delicious! Horsey too.

White House, in the St.Lawrence Market, sells buffalo, kangaroo, boar, elk ...

I've never bought meat at White House, but my former neighbour does. Whenever I go downtown for a meal at their place I'm usually served a deliciously cooked choice cut of some large quadraped or another that, in happier days, roamed the sunny plains of some far-off antipodean world.

Rabba's hurting already, I think. I received my first-ever advertising flier from them in the mail the other day. Today I walked by and saw them screwing up huge, hideously ugly foamboard poster ads to EVERY SINGLE PILLAR on their part of the building. What an eyesore. Before I felt bad for them, now I feel annoyed.

I had my first Sobeys experience today!

Nice store. Bright, clean and with a pretty cool "loftish" look to the place. I think it's slightly cheaper than Dominion's and definitely cheaper than Loblaw's. Everything I saw seemed fresh, but as others have suggested, time will tell.

Sobeys should hook-up with Aeroplan and then my life will be complete!

Back