News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

At least some of the street has to be torn up for subway construction, since stations are built by cut-and-cover. What would be the point of a busway on Yonge if a subway gets built? The number of buses left on the street, especially south of Steeles, would be minuscule. Why spend tens of millions on something that's only useful for a couple years? There are certainly many other places more deserving of our resources.

If they have to widen the street and either eliminate on-street parking or even chop up the sidewalk/demolish some businesses, it would definitely be bad for business.

My guess for the stops is as follows:

Finch
Steeles
Clark
Centre

Cummer is too close to the Bishop entrance, and doesn't have enough activity to merit a stop. It might be roughed in much like North York Centre first was. Royal Orchard probably has more apartments than any other stop right now, however it's very close to Centre and therefore might not be warranted. A stop will certainly not be built between Royal Orchard and the 407.

I think that the potential GO-TTC connection at Langstaff is utterly useless, and they may as well save money by keeping the subway within the Yonge St. alignment rather than veer to the east toward Langstaff station. This GO-TTC connection would only be justified if the Richmond Hill line is extended well to the north.

I think that the potential GO-TTC connection at Langstaff is utterly useless, and they may as well save money by keeping the subway within the Yonge St. alignment rather than veer to the east toward Langstaff station. This GO-TTC connection would only be justified if the Richmond Hill line is extended well to the north.

I must respectfully disagree.

The existing Richmond Hill Centre terminal is a logical subway stop, where a connection to Langstaff GO station is already planned.

if and god knows when the subway will ever hit that far up north, my guess for the stops would be steeles, clark, royal orchard and the 407/RHC.

the problem with centre is that there is little to no space as it is for entrances on the public sidewalk and expansion is really tight.
also the core of the users will be coming from the royal orchard area. so what's the point of making them walk centre when you can just as easily make the stop at royal orchard.

Currently, GO connections are so useless that planning around them requires a leap of faith far beyond what is prudent...run it straight up Yonge.

Currently, GO connections are so useless that planning around them requires a leap of faith far beyond what is prudent...run it straight up Yonge.

We can both in this case, and it can be done very easily. Diverting the line to serve Langstaff and RHC would only take it 300 metres from Yonge Street. It should be planned into the design of the line.

I had no idea how much damage the new busway will cause to Yonge Street. It is obvious to everyone (even Steve Munro, of all people!) that a subway is appropriate for this location, so it makes little sense to spend hundreds of millions to build a bus lane, only to have to tear it up a couple years later. I've also been a bit confused by the whole setup, especially south of Steeles, since the TTC routes make frequent stops while the YRT routes run express. Yonge Street is already pretty wide. Adding more lanes woudl not be good for businesses.

The issue for the owners, as I understand it is is that Viva was going to build its busway with a long-term dream of converting it to LRT or subway. Not surprisingly the shopowners along Yonge were saying, "We'd rather you just build a subway now if you're going to do it later anyway, after ruining our frontages and spending years on construction."

It seemed like a pipe dream, and they sounded nutty, until Move2020 came out. The region was all set to start building the busways and slammed on the brakes, crossing their fingers that this will really happen and soon.

Now the owners are all gung ho that this subway can happen and they don't want it to slip away.

With all the talk of demand here I haven't seen anyone mention the HUGE condo proposed for the old Hy & Zel's plaza. The local residents don't mind growth but there's a proposal to replace the plaza (just north of Golden Star) with 2X32 storey towers, 2X39 storey towers and then, I think, a 3 and a 10-storey. I'm sure the developers licked their chops a bit when the subway announcement came out.

What's weird, if I'm not mistaken, is that McGuinty's plan still included funding for Transit City's LRT from Finch to Steeles - seems a bit redundant but I guess the GTTA will be figuring out the nitty gritty.

I'm also guessing stops at Steeles (Cummer is too close to Finch), Clark/John and 407/Langstaff.

With all the talk of demand here I haven't seen anyone mention the HUGE condo proposed for the old Hy & Zel's plaza. The local residents don't mind growth but there's a proposal to replace the plaza (just north of Golden Star) with 2X32 storey towers, 2X39 storey towers and then, I think, a 3 and a 10-storey. I'm sure the developers licked their chops a bit when the subway announcement came out.

Wow. Will that replace the entire plaza, including the gigantic Korean grocery store (Galleria?) and so forth? Is there a link about this proposal?

I'm also guessing stops at Steeles (Cummer is too close to Finch), Clark/John and 407/Langstaff.

I wonder what effect that would have on the John side. West of Yonge it is starting to get a bit dense -- at least on the immediate block, anyhow -- but it is mostly bungalows and a crop of monster homes on the east side of the street and heading east. A subway dropped right there would definitely change things!

This is the best thing I can find on the Liberty condo proposal:
http://www.yorkregion.com/article/36937

Yeah, it would replace the Galleria plaza as well as the Cdn Tire gas station and the Wendy's

The article has a hard-to-read graphic of the site plan. (The top of the graphic is WEST so Yonge Street runs along the top, left to right with the 2 39-storey towers fronting on Yonge. The 32-storey towers front on to Doncaster.) The towers should be built to LEED standards, for what that is worth.

As for where a north-of-Steeles stop would go, a station at either John or Clark could have an exit at Centre Street. There are high-rises at both John and Clark though, as has been pointed out above, because of topography and geography, a Centre Street stop is a bit hard to picture. Royal Orchard strikes me as too far north...

Finch
Steeles
Clark
Centre

Cummer is too close to the Bishop entrance, and doesn't have enough activity to merit a stop. It might be roughed in much like North York Centre first was. Royal Orchard probably has more apartments than any other stop right now, however it's very close to Centre and therefore might not be warranted. A stop will certainly not be built between Royal Orchard and the 407.

Why a stop at Clark? Why not just stick to the concession street stops like the rest of the (with the exception of NYC) northern Yonge line?

Concession street stops aren't always a concession apart, though...it's a given that Steeles will be south of Steeles, for example.

Why a stop at Clark? Why not just stick to the concession street stops like the rest of the (with the exception of NYC) northern Yonge line?

In the central part of York Region, the second concession north of Steeles (aka HIghway 7 aka Centre St. aka Green Lane aka 14th Ave) is interrupted, broken, and completely lacks any major transit route. No part of Yonge between Steeles and 7 has as limited development potential as Centre St because of the designation as a historical district. It makes far more sense to build a stop at Clark and Royal Orchard, rather than one stop only at Centre St.

Back