News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Actually Rosedale and Summerhill are named after the streets... Rosedale Valley Blvd... Summerhill Ave...

If that was the case, Doady, than why is Summerhill Station on Shaftesbury, and Rosedale Station on Crescent?

Summerhill is at Summerhill Ave, not Shaftesbury, close enough. Rosedale is close enough.

By your standard, Kipling is also not named after the street.

Summerhill IS on Shaftsbury and Rosedale IS on Crescent (which, BTW was the original planned name for the station).

If they weren't named after the neighbourhood, then why on earth weren't they named Shaftsbury and Crescent?

By your standard, Kipling is also not named after the street.

Uhhh... they what was it named after?

If they weren't named after the neighbourhood, then why on earth weren't they named Shaftsbury and Crescent?

The station names refer to the respective neighbourhoods they're located in. The area between St Clair and the rail overpass is commonly reffered to as Summerhill though Summerhill Ave. itself is a block north of the actual station.

Several misnomers like this exist throughout the system which otherwise would result in stations named by their exact intersection...

BD: Jopling, Quebec, Vincent, Bedford?, Linnesmore, St Clair East, Eglinton East;

YUS: Sheppard West, Kendal, Bedford?, Charles, College, Dundas West, Queen West, King West, Front, Carlton, Empress;

Sheppard: Burbank.

or worse yet by landmark, function or community.

YUS: Downsview Park, [Wilson, Yorkdale], Lawrence Heights, [Glencairn] Forest Hill, St Micheals, Casa Loma, Annex, U of T, [Museum, Queen's Park], AGO-Hospital District, Opera House-City Hall, Theatre District, [Union], CBD, Eaton Centre, Atrium, College Park, 'Rainbow', Midtown, [Rosedale, Summerhill], Deer Park, [Davisville], Uptown, Bedford Park, Hogg's Hollow, Lansing, [North York Centre], Newtonbrook.

BD: Six-Points, Montgomery, Kingsway Village, [Old Mill, Jane], Bloor West Village, [High Park, Keele], Roncesvalles Village, Parkdale North, Bloorcourt, [Ossington], Koreatown, Mirvish Village, Annex, U ot T, Yorkville, Midtown, St James Town, [Castle Frank], Todmorden, [Chester], Greektown, [Donlands, Greenwood], East York Centre, [Woodbine, Main St.], Dentonia, Providence, [Kennedy].

Sheppard: Lansing, Willowdale, [Bessarion], Henry Farm, Fairview.

There was/is a movement to rename Dupont to Casa Loma. It's supported, I believe, by the local councillor and is slowly winding its way through approval.

The station names refer to the respective neighbourhoods they're located in. The area between St Clair and the rail overpass is commonly reffered to as Summerhill though Summerhill Ave. itself is a block north of the actual station.

Summerhill - the neighborhood Tuscani01 and I are studying for a project. Based on consultation with the locals, walking the area and studying maps and history, the boundaries are shown on this google maps page.

Downsview is named after Downsview Park, and North York Centre is named for the massive 'downtown' development there, and the fact that there is no major street there. Thornhill along Yonge is not really all that noticeable when you think about it. Yonge is basically a suburban style street even in old Thornhill itself, and has no storefronts along it, except for a few crummy '40s-era buildings on the east side.

This logic is a bit circuitous. Downsview Park is named after the Downsview neighbourhood in which it sits. The "park," especially where the station is, is hardly a community hub.

NY Centre is at Empress but, yeah, it's named for being the centre of NY (what with the library, the theatre, the civic centre etc.) as opposed to the condos etc.

As for that Thornhill streetscape - there is a plan to do so major streetscaping and (hopefully) revitalization along that strip. It was set to go in with Viva Phase 2 and would now likely await the subway construction. There are some interesting things going on there (including Markham deciding to set a max height of 12 metres which may hinder private redevelopment efforts) but that's for another thread...

The point is: If the subway comes, those ugly 1940s storefronts should disappear and it should be a more urban streetscape. Not quite Unionville, but something more respectful and interesting.

http://www.urbanstrategies.com/index.php/urban/mainstreets/thornhill/

This logic is a bit circuitous. Downsview Park is named after the Downsview neighbourhood in which it sits. The "park," especially where the station is, is hardly a community hub.

NY Centre is at Empress but, yeah, it's named for being the centre of NY (what with the library, the theatre, the civic centre etc.) as opposed to the condos etc.

As for that Thornhill streetscape - there is a plan to do so major streetscaping and (hopefully) revitalization along that strip. It was set to go in with Viva Phase 2 and would now likely await the subway construction. There are some interesting things going on there (including Markham deciding to set a max height of 12 metres which wayhinder private redevelopment efforts) but that's for another thread...

The point is: If the subway comes, those ugly 1940s storefronts should disappear and it should be a more urban streetscape. Not quite Unionville, but something more respectful and interesting.

http://www.urbanstrategies.com/index.php/urban/mainstreets/thornhill/

I know one of the planners working for that company. You should expect good things from that project.

YUS: Downsview Park, [Wilson, Yorkdale], Lawrence Heights, [Glencairn] Forest Hill, St Micheals, Casa Loma, Annex, U of T, [Museum, Queen's Park], AGO-Hospital District, Opera House-City Hall, Theatre District, [Union], CBD, Eaton Centre, Atrium, College Park, 'Rainbow', Midtown, [Rosedale, Summerhill], Deer Park, [Davisville], Uptown, Bedford Park, Hogg's Hollow, Lansing, [North York Centre], Newtonbrook.

BD: Six-Points, Montgomery, Kingsway Village, [Old Mill, Jane], Bloor West Village, [High Park, Keele], Roncesvalles Village, Parkdale North, Bloorcourt, [Ossington], Koreatown, Mirvish Village, Annex, U ot T, Yorkville, Midtown, St James Town, [Castle Frank], Todmorden, [Chester], Greektown, [Donlands, Greenwood], East York Centre, [Woodbine, Main St.], Dentonia, Providence, [Kennedy].

Sheppard: Lansing, Willowdale, [Bessarion], Henry Farm, Fairview.
I actually prefer a lot of those names to what we have! Basically, Toronto's system is a hybrid of both cross-streets and neighbourhoods.

There was/is a movement to rename Dupont to Casa Loma. It's supported, I believe, by the local councillor and is slowly winding its way through approval.
Not sure I really support that. It's a good five minute walk to Casa Loma from there. However, I think I remember reading that it would only be a sub-name like Bay-Yorkville. I guess "Dupont-Casa Loma" isn't so bad.

Sorry to bump up an old thread (thank Google for leading me here), but does anyone know when the Thornhill bus lanes were supposed to be completed before the NIMBYs derailed the whole thing? While fortunately I don't take the bus through Thornhill very often, when I do the stretch of Yonge between Highway 7 and Steeles is an absolute nightmare for just about anyone trying to get through it. If I recall they were supposed to be done by now, if not a few years earlier.

Oh, and those subwaysnow jerk offs claimed the subway would be operational in 5 years... which considering this was in 2007 they (surprise, surprise...) LIED! :mad:

Back