I don't find them particularly fat. They aren't condo towers after all. I also find the finishing of a much better quality than the typical suburban box. As far as boxes go, why not? They stand out as few others are building them. I also have little faith in our REITs and Pension Funds to pull off something a little more complex. One only needs to look at Calgary's latest additions like Jamieson or Centennial to see we're better off with our minimalistic boxes.

Fantastic examples. Centennial Place looks nearly idential to one of the unbuilt Bay Adelaide proposals. Bullet dodged, thanks to timeless, classic minimalism. But at the same time, minimalism doesn't preclude imagination and creativity. Where are all the maverick hedge fund executives?

Not to sound like certain boneheaded posters, but "boxy" was my first reaction to the squat group of Southcore office towers.

The most positive thing I can say about these is that it's nice to have this empty space filled in with some curtainwall. They'll serve as a (very) neutral backdrop for Union Station, Royal York, and Royal Plaza, which will look even more spectacular by comparison.

Last edited:
From today
11282010126.jpg

11282010094.jpg

11282010045.jpg

11282010043.jpg

Gotta love the massive hole(s) emerging here. So many more exciting towers to come! this area is nowhere near complete (even after MLS, telus, etc..). It's awesome how Infinity 1/2 is just carved out in the middle of it all :D

Yeah and lot more to come, i wouldnt be very surprised ( considering how successfull sales were on MLS and Ice ) if CadFair/Lanterra did not already buy both lots on Harbour st, for future phases...who is to say they dont transfer the rights of the office component at Ice to Harbour st. thus giving way to build a taller Ice-3....you never know.

Yeah and lot more to come, i wouldnt be very surprised ( considering how successfull sales were on MLS and Ice ) if CadFair/Lanterra did not already buy both lots on Harbour st, for future phases...who is to say they dont transfer the rights of the office component at Ice to Harbour st. thus giving way to build a taller Ice-3....you never know.

Yea I'd rather not ...
At the end of the day these will most likely be more interesting compared to anything in the immediate vicinity but that's about it (and likely not by much) ... 3 of them is just too much, a different design and sure.

Heard today 18 York is 80 percent leased, this area is one of the best in the city imo for investment

yes it is ... not the best place to invest that is but 80% leased.

Back