News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's just an overpass, I don't see any need for it to be more than simple concrete.

There is always a requirement for better design. Perhaps you don't mind plain concrete parapet walls on bridges, or generic stainless steel railings or chainlink fences. Which is fine, I suppose if function is all that matters to you.

That sounds terribly dull to me.

No one is suggesting everything need be 'iconic'; in fact I would argue the virtual impossibility of that.

But that doesn't mean we can't make things that add to public space rather than detract.

Concrete properly patterned through forms to look like stacked stone, and polished with a range of colour (not monolithic grey) so at to make it appear 'real'......attractive railings/bannisters, non-utilitarian light fixtures, the strategic use of ivy.

None of these are expensive, they don't require a 'name' architect. But they do require a conscious effort to not just 'throw stuff up'.

Sadly, many of us here are very cynical as to whether such basic consideration may be offered.

No, you don't force anyone to go up stairs. The grade of the two streets it will be connecting is already above the street level. It could be a level crossing without any stairs at all if done right. (You already need to climb stairs to get to either street)

A street-level crossing would require anyone crossing to go down and up stairs to complete the trip.

(See Streetview below)

East Side:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.639846,-79.3926325,3a,52.1y,84.2h,86.63t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYPBp5WF17lMyhAlh2faLdA!2e0!6s//geo0.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=YPBp5WF17lMyhAlh2faLdA&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=231.6423&pitch=0!7i13312!8i6656

West side:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.639846,-79.3926325,3a,42.6y,246.72h,84.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYPBp5WF17lMyhAlh2faLdA!2e0!6s//geo0.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=YPBp5WF17lMyhAlh2faLdA&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=231.6423&pitch=0!7i13312!8i6656

Accurate; provided your origin/destination are the 2 streets in question.

However, if your object was to get from one side of Spadina to the other, then stairs remain an issue.

It's not the end of the world, it's just not ideal.

One might reasonably ask if doing this might delay, by years or decades much needed re-think of the relationship of Spadina to the Lake Shore.

Accurate; provided your origin/destination are the 2 streets in question.

However, if your object was to get from one side of Spadina to the other, then stairs remain an issue.

It's not the end of the world, it's just not ideal.

One might reasonably ask if doing this might delay, by years or decades much needed re-think of the relationship of Spadina to the Lake Shore.

But the intent of this bridge is to connect those two streets so residents at Harbourview can access the amenities and schools on the other side of the street. It's essentially just an extension of an existing road, but for pedestrians only. The only way to provide that continuous path is by means of a bridge due to their elevation.

With the changing patterns of traffic during the York/Bay offramps construction (and new ramps) I would be hesitant to change the traffic patterns on Spadina until we know the revised traffic patterns. I would actually suggest that they put barriers to prevent pedestrians from crossing the ramp (for safety and to encourage them to follow the rules of the road)

I was also wondering why there was also not a consideration for a overpass at the South Linear park for pedestrians and cyclists (basically cantilevered from Lake Shore road pillars). Also would be another option for pedestrians to avoid the conflict at the onramp to the Gardiner. 2 bridges vs 1

I think that depends on what one is hoping to alter.

The principle issues at this intersection are created by the off ramp from Lake Shore and the on-ramp (westbound) from Spadina. These affect the opposite direction of traffic as the Yonge/York combo.

The real challenge here is that once you decide you really want to straighten the connections from the ramps (ie. hard corner, not flowing off-ramp etc.) Then you see the mess that makes w/the existing intersection to the south for the eastbound Lake Shore.

Which in turn makes you think about tearing the whole fly-over down...................and it certainly could get complicated and expensive.

With the changing patterns of traffic during the York/Bay offramps construction (and new ramps) I would be hesitant to change the traffic patterns on Spadina until we know the revised traffic patterns. I would actually suggest that they put barriers to prevent pedestrians from crossing the ramp (for safety and to encourage them to follow the rules of the road)

I was also wondering why there was also not a consideration for a overpass at the South Linear park for pedestrians and cyclists (basically cantilevered from Lake Shore road pillars). Also would be another option for pedestrians to avoid the conflict at the onramp to the Gardiner. 2 bridges vs 1

The rules of the road at this location are already pedestrian-unfriendly. You want to maintain the status quo for motorists, ignoring the needs of pedestrians and cyclists who live, and work, in this part of town, and your solution is to put up barriers.

The proper, short-term fix is to add pedestrian signals to cross Spadina/Lake Shore legally, at least in the north-south direction, and to add a signalized crosswalk at the ramp. Longer-term solutions include re-building the intersection/ramp to permit safe crossings in all directions where pedestrians get the right of way.

It's a band-aid solution. If you have to force people on foot go up a set of stairs just to get across the road, the road is broken.

They aren't forced to do that. It is alternative. There's no universal correct design for situations but you are trying to cram one into this situation.

that's great news about the ped bridge over Spadina. Can we assume that it will be a barrier free structure?

There is always a requirement for better design. Perhaps you don't mind plain concrete parapet walls on bridges, or generic stainless steel railings or chainlink fences. Which is fine, I suppose if function is all that matters to you.

That sounds terribly dull to me.

No one is suggesting everything need be 'iconic'; in fact I would argue the virtual impossibility of that.

But that doesn't mean we can't make things that add to public space rather than detract.

Concrete properly patterned through forms to look like stacked stone, and polished with a range of colour (not monolithic grey) so at to make it appear 'real'......attractive railings/bannisters, non-utilitarian light fixtures, the strategic use of ivy.

None of these are expensive, they don't require a 'name' architect. But they do require a conscious effort to not just 'throw stuff up'.

Sadly, many of us here are very cynical as to whether such basic consideration may be offered.

If that can be done affordably then it's fine of course. I'm usually concerned with aesthetics but this is just a basic piece of infrastructure like a highway ramp or road overpass.

If that can be done affordably then it's fine of course. I'm usually concerned with aesthetics but this is just a basic piece of infrastructure like a highway ramp or road overpass.

The setting (major avenue) with high visibility and urban potential requires a bit more care than care than a typical overpass.

AoD

Last edited:
They aren't forced to do that. It is alternative. There's no universal correct design for situations but you are trying to cram one into this situation.
What's it an alternative to? How else are you going to cross Spadina north of Lake Shore and south of Bremner?

The setting (major avenue) with high visibility and urban potential requires a bit more care than care than a typical overpass.

AoD

Exactly. Spadina is one of the major gateways from the lake to downtown (and vice-versa); we should be trying to enhance it, not slapping up any old thing.

that's great news about the ped bridge over Spadina. Can we assume that it will be a barrier free structure?

Given the slopes...yes. It's barrier free for movement west to east through Cityplace (without the needs for ramps).

It will not be barrier free from Spadina....there is a barrier free crossing at Bremner 100 meters away.

The rules of the road at this location are already pedestrian-unfriendly. You want to maintain the status quo for motorists, ignoring the needs of pedestrians and cyclists who live, and work, in this part of town, and your solution is to put up barriers.

The proper, short-term fix is to add pedestrian signals to cross Spadina/Lake Shore legally, at least in the north-south direction, and to add a signalized crosswalk at the ramp. Longer-term solutions include re-building the intersection/ramp to permit safe crossings in all directions where pedestrians get the right of way.

I have been to almost every major city in the world and when I go I walk. I can't recall any that DO NOT have barriers blocking pedestrians from crossing certain roads. Even where there are large amount of pedestrians.

For pedestrians I can't figure out why you would NEED to cross here. We are in a big city and all modes of transportation have to be able to jointly be able to get around. This is a key piece of infrastructure for vehicles and it's already at 100% capacity. A pedestrian intersection would decrease the capacity further at this critical junction. (and in fact the current illegal movement of pedestrians already diminishes the capacity)

Back