News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Not sure how recently this was completed, but I noticed whilst biking by last week that the entry pavilion at the NE corner is complete and looking much more welcoming than before.

The (wisteria?) pergola is a very nice touch, and I love the bench design.

EE22A2E5-21DF-4A42-925E-4E7F3E94D278.jpeg

Attachments

• 28502C42-D65B-4BAD-9734-D681ED6106D6.jpeg
    28502C42-D65B-4BAD-9734-D681ED6106D6.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 276
Not sure how recently this was completed, but I noticed whilst biking by last week that the entry pavilion at the NE corner is complete and looking much more welcoming than before.

The (wisteria?) pergola is a very nice touch, and I love the bench design.

The wisteria pergola must be from the old park design, but IMO the addition of the low bench wall has really helped enclose the space and define its edges- which is a much-needed step up from the typical Toronto pavement-meets-grass park edge treatment.

More of this, please!

The wisteria pergola must be from the old park design, but IMO the addition of the low bench wall has really helped enclose the space and define its edges- which is a much-needed step up from the typical Toronto pavement-meets-grass park edge treatment.

More of this, please!

Oh yeah, come to think, you must be right about the pergola -- it's obviously much too well grown-in to be new, but they did a really nice job of integrating that extant element into the new design.

And, yes, a few recent park reinvigorations have broken exactly that unfortunate traditional Toronto park edge mold: Ramsden and Grange in particular now have very similar entry treatments, and they are much better for it; everyone should check out both if they have not since their respective re-dos.

More of this, please!
The wisteria which has oddly never bloomed.

If anything, the new pavilion has been getting flack for reinforcing "hostile architecture".

Do you have more details on what "hostile architecture" flak this pavilion is getting? It's not looking as nice as I had hoped (based on the twitter images). I was thinking it would look warmer and more welcoming, but the grey stone/concrete(?) platform is pretty cold.

I'm not a fan of what they did with the Victorian garden area near King Street. They installed generic poured concrete walkways. The pavers around the fountain feel sterile and generic too. I feel that the design language in the landscape plan is regrettably contemporary in general. It doesn't make much effort to relate to its historical surroundings like St. Lawrence Hall and St. James Cathedral. It's one of my least favourite downtown park revitalizations overall.

Do you have more details on what "hostile architecture" flak this pavilion is getting? It's not looking as nice as I had hoped (based on the twitter images). I was thinking it would look warmer and more welcoming, but the grey stone/concrete(?) platform is pretty cold.

It's being criticized for having open slats in the roof, making it difficult or impossible for homeless to take shelter under it, as opposed to the old gazebo that had a functioning roof.

Back