News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Does anyone know a good tailor in the neighbourhood for simple stuff like shortening or taking in pants, that kind of thing? I took my jeans to Stitch It at TD Centre yesterday and they're charging me $50 to patch the seat of my jeans!! I've got another pair I need to shorten and I don't want to spend more on the alteration than on the jeans themselves.Thanks in advance.
I know your pain - I took two jackets for underarm stich repair to a tailor at Gerrard and Elizabeth and it cost me over 50 bucks, which was more than I spent on the jackets combined...

Does anyone know a good tailor in the neighbourhood for simple stuff like shortening or taking in pants, that kind of thing? I took my jeans to Stitch It at TD Centre yesterday and they're charging me $50 to patch the seat of my jeans!! I've got another pair I need to shorten and I don't want to spend more on the alteration than on the jeans themselves.Thanks in advance.

For the last few years I've been going to Crown Cleaners at 122 Sherbourne, a few doors south of the Pro Hardware. The lady who runs it does the alterations on site and the quality is pretty good. I think for a pants shortening it's about $13 now for a regular hem (where she just chops it, folds it over, and sews it flat) but closer to $20 for what she called a "Euro hem" (where she cuts off the original hem and then reattaches it further up). I pay for the more expensive option if the pants have a more distinctive hem, like some jeans, and I think it's worth it as it looks a lot better and is not as noticeable.

Pre-inflation / pre-COVID, $20 for a Euro hem was average, maybe even a touch low. Today, that's a good price.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Finally! Good news. A Cob's Bread is going into the condo retail at 158 Front St East. There's a building permit, and a mention on their website.
Yes, noted a few weeks ago on the 158 Front pages. Franchisees differ so let's hope their bread is better than the quite disappointing Pain Dore that opened a few months ago east of the Market.

An update on the Wellington Streetscape project from my walk today, May 6th, 2023:

Looking east from Yonge:

DSC01348.jpg

Looking back towards Yonge:

DSC01349.jpg

Note, these trees are all alive and healthy, I checked, they are Honey Locust and are one of the slower trees to leaf out, they should be greening up in about 10 days.

Next, trees on Scott Street:

DSC01350.jpg

These are also alive, (ground looks excessively compacted mind you...); a weird, columnar variant of Hackberry.

Some happy Elms further along:

DSC01353.jpg

Finally, the south side, beside the Park:

DSC01354.jpg

Still some work to do, but finally moving along nicely!

An update on the Wellington Streetscape project from my walk today, May 6th, 2023:

Looking east from Yonge:

View attachment 474805

View attachment 474804

Note, these trees are all alive and healthy, I checked, they are Honey Locust and are one of the slower trees to leaf out, they should be greening up in about 10 days.

View attachment 474803

These are also alive, (ground looks excessively compacted mind you...); a weird, columnar variant of Hackberry.

View attachment 474802

View attachment 474801

Not sure I would say 'moving on nicely". I walk past quite often and they have VERY few workers on site and ZERO on Friday - which was a good day for working outside. Last i heard, they hope for a mid-June (2023?) completion but ....

Not sure I would say 'moving on nicely". I walk past quite often and they have VERY few workers on site and ZERO on Friday - which was a good day for working outside. Last i heard, they hope for a mid-June (2023?) completion but ....

I said 'nicely', not 'speedily'. LOL

Here's latest City update:

Wellington Construction Update

May 9, 2023

As roadway and sidewalk construction continues at Scott St/Wellington St intersection, our electrical contractor will also start work on traffic light installation at Wellington St E and Scott St during the week of May 8th.

Traffic light installation work and restoration in that particular area will take approximately 5-6 weeks to complete. The roadway and sidewalk work in this area is expected to be completed by the week of May 29th weather pending.

******************************************************************************************************************************
I must say that the City really seem to be screwing up the Wellington/Scott junction with eight huge concrete poles for the traffic lights (which seem totally unnecessary to me in the first place!) One part of the City designs a great street with 'tasteful' black light poles, another erects ugly grey concrete ones more suitable for an expressway. That said, this multi-year project appears to be drawing to a close. Now they can start work on the streetscape upgrades on Colborne Street which had to be postponed last year as they (rightly) though some streets should remain open!

This just passed @ Council today: I doubt the Market vendors will open on Stat Hols - it was hard enough to get them to open on Sundays:

1. City Council amend Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 510-5 "Tourist Area Exemptions" for Holiday Shopping to permit Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Scarborough Town Centre and retail business establishments within the boundaries of the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood as described in City of Toronto By-law 328-2011, to open on holidays under authority of the City of Toronto Act, 2006 (the "COTA").

Looking east from Yonge:

View attachment 474805

View attachment 474804

View attachment 474803

View attachment 474802

View attachment 474801

You (rightly) complained about the compacted planter bed on Scott St @88 Scott.

scott2.jpg

They seem to have solved this by REMOVING the trees and putting bricks there instead! As far as I remember, the Site Plan for 88 Scott obliged them to add trees here to replace those they removed. I am asking the Councillor's Office and the SLNA.

Here is the 2013 Streetview photo.

1683992161111.png

Back