News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

You (rightly) complained about the compacted planter bed on Scott St @88 Scott.

View attachment 476919

They seem to have solved this by REMOVING the trees and putting bricks there instead! As far as I remember, the Site Plan for 88 Scott obliged them to add trees here to replace those they removed. I am asking the Councillor's Office and the SLNA.

Here is the 2013 Streetview photo.

View attachment 476918

The like is for you being the DSC we all know and appreciate, and going after everyone for answers. Removing trees (that you just planted) is a rather stupid solution to having planted them poorly! )

Reactions: DSC
The like is for you being the DSC we all know and appreciate, and going after everyone for answers. Removing trees (that you just planted) is a rather stupid solution to having planted them poorly! )
The SITE PLAN seems to say they were supposed to install SIX new trees! See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-44929.pdf

Site plan 40 Scott trees.jpg

UPDATE: 15 May. Councillor Moise's Office is investigating!!

Last edited:
@Northern Light Is Dutch Elm Disease truly over?

No.

Are we going to have gorgeous Elm trees along Wellington? 😍

Hopefully.

Dutch Elm disease is still very much around.

However, there's been lots of work to find/create Elms that are more/completely resistant to it.

For natural areas, there's been extensive field work on finding long standing mature, native Elm that has been minimally impacted be DED and may have some natural resilience, and growing trees from seed of said specimens, that work is ongoing.

In the meantime, for street trees, the practice is to use a cultivar (artificial breeding of a two or more species of trees, usually by grafting), that shows high resilience to the disease.

I didn't look for tags on the Elms, but they are likely 'Valley Forge'.

Depending on location and care, the cultivar is up to 96% DED resistant.

Attachments

• 1684154931492.png
    1684154931492.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
This logo/pictogram on the St Lawrence Community Rec Centre caught my eye. Anyone know if it was used elsewhere or is is (was it) unique here? Note also the old Board of Education crest.

1684506081534.png

Last edited:
Is it a good thing to cover the front of every modernist building in the neighbourhood with a mural?

Maybe that depends on:

1) Do the locals find the existing building attractive?

2) Will the locals find the new mural more attractive?

Last edited:
A few posts up I noted the removal of a fairly large Tree Pit (and several trees) on Scott Street. This was done by the Wellington Street Project team at the request of the condo Board at 88 Scott. Of course, removal of street trees is not something condo Boards can do. I have passed this along to 311 and Urban Forestry. Others ( @NorthernLight that's you !!) may want to make their own complaints - please! Here is the email I received

88Scott.jpg

UPDATE: Councillor Moise's office is 'flabbergasted" at how these trees could have been removed and the pit (almost) filled in. They are now following up, as is Urban Forestry!

UPDATE TO UPDATE!

Today they are bricking things again, more wasted $$$. I assume the contractor will now be paid to unbrick etc etc.
IMG_1479[1].JPG

Last edited:
This is the huge Green P parking building at the south end of market Street.

PA4.8 - Contract Award - 2023-CON-CP43-B10 Concrete Repairs at 2 Church Street (Car Park 43)​

Consideration Type: ACTIONWard: 10 - Spadina - Fort York

Origin​

(May 10, 2023) Report from the President, Toronto Parking Authority

Recommendations​

The President, Toronto Parking Authority recommends that:

1. The Board of Directors of the Toronto Parking Authority provide authority to the President, Toronto Parking Authority, to award the Concrete Repairs Phase 1 project located at 2 Church Street (Car Park 43) for 2023-CON-CP43-B10 to Maxim Group General Contracting Ltd., having submitted the lowest compliant bid and meeting all specifications in conformance with the Construction Tender requirements, in the amount of $10,473,650 in base scope, plus $1,770,732 in selected optional items, plus $2,450,000 as a contingency allowance, being the sum total of $14,694,382 excluding HST.

Summary​

The purpose of this paper is to seek authorization from the Board of Directors, Toronto Parking Authority, for the garage restoration project located at 2 Church Street (Car Park 43) valued at $10,473,650 in base scope, plus $1,770,732 in selected optional items, plus $2,450,000 as a contingency allowance, being the sum total of $14,694,382 excluding HST.

Car Park 43 located at 2 Church Street, is a 40-year-old, six (6)-storey parking structure with 2008 spaces in the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood. The garage includes an eight (8)-storey Toronto Community Housing building above the structure. Pre-pandemic (2019) gross revenues were $7.3M. The 2023 plan forecasts Car Park 43 to generate $4.2M. First Quarter Year to Date, Car Park 43 has generated $1.17M and is tracking to beat plan by $500K to $750K. Car Park 43 consistently remains as one of the top five (5) highest revenue-generating garages across Toronto Parking Authority’s portfolio. As such, this investment is critical from a safety perspective and consistent with our strategy to reinvest in infrastructure (State of Good Repair) capital and reduce reputational risk to Toronto Parking Authority’s brand.

In 2022, Toronto Parking Authority initiated an emergency project valued at $4.3M to replace the heavily deteriorated steel stairs with concrete-filled pans. This project will be completed by June 2023, mitigating the immediate public safety concern.

The next phase of the Car Park 43 garage modernization program is to address the critical structural and systems deficiencies (State of Good Repair).

The previously completed Building Condition Assessment outlined the scope of work at Car Park 43 to include:
Complete waterproofing and asphalt replacement.
Concrete repairs.
Total drainage replacement, including the sump pump system, and
Ventilation system replacement.

Toronto Parking Authority retained Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd. on February 17, 2023, for consulting services needed to review the previously completed Building Condition Assessment, provide a plan/strategy to complete major repairs based on the findings of the Building Condition Assessment, and provide tendering, permitting, and contract administration services.

Following the close of Tender and initial review of the bids by both Toronto Parking Authority and Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd., a post-tender addendum was issued on May 2, 2023 to the four (4) compliant bidders to clarify their understanding of the project phasing, and the guard replacement on the P1 level. Completed addendum forms were received from each of the four (4) compliant bidders by the close of the post-tender period on May 3, 2023

Based on the submission of a compliant bid (including post-tender submission), the bid price, ability to complete the work in the prescribed time and the conformance to tender requirements, Toronto Parking Authority is recommending that the contract of work for 2023-CON-CP43-B10 – Concrete Repairs Phase 1 at Car Park 43 be awarded to Maxim Group General Contracting Ltd. (Maxim Group). The project is scheduled to start in July 2023, with construction completion scheduled for early third quarter 2025.

Financial Impact​

The amount to award the construction contract for the 2023-CON-CP43-B10 – Concrete Repairs Phase 1 at 2 Church Street (Car Park 43) is $10,473,650 in base scope, plus $1,770,732 in selected optional items, plus $2,450,000 as a contingency allowance, being the sum total of $14,694,382 excluding HST.

Funding for this work is available in the approved Toronto Parking Authority 2023 Capital Budget, TPA908978-1, Internal Order 700431.

Background Information​

(May 10, 2023) Report from the President, Toronto Parking Authority, on Contract Award - 2023-CON-CP43-B10 Concrete Repairs at 2 Church Street (Car Park 43)
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/pa/bgrd/backgroundfile-236449.pdf

They should build more housing there.
I would like to see every single tenant at 55 The Esplanade given a nice monetary reward for any inconvenience/disturbance they will suffer during the renovation process. That won't happen of course, the city will get it's money, the construction companies will get their money, etc, etc down the line but the people who pay rent to live there will just have to put up and shut up.

I would like to see every single tenant at 55 The Esplanade given a nice monetary reward for any inconvenience/disturbance they will suffer during the renovation process. That won't happen of course, the city will get it's money, the construction companies will get their money, etc, etc down the line but the people who pay rent to live there will just have to put up and shut up.
I think that if I lived at 55 The Esplanade I might be happy that the clearly deteriorating building I live on top of and adjacent to is being repaired. Is your suggestion that the City allows the Green P to collapse.

BTW, I certainly agree that building more housing on (or over) the garage would be good and was actually a bit surprised that this does not seem to have been considered.

Back