News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The Starbucks at corner of King & George (where the fire was a few months ago) seems to have closed -all signage removed. I assume the building (it's Listed) will be repaired but it has all been rather slow.
This is the building permit for repairs to the ex-Starbucks building and the buildings down George Street. I suspect Starbucks has "left the building' but I suppose we will find out in due course. In my opinion they should move to the now empty Pagannini restaurant closer to Front - bigger space, much better patio but ....

Building Application Status
clear.gif

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 1J4

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 15 264390 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 14, 2015

Project: Office Fire Damage

Description: Construct repair work to office due to fire damage

BA Zoning Review Not Started
Zone 3 Dvernichuk, Garrett Contact Info
BA Code Review Pt3 Not Started
Code 3 Dvernichuk, Garrett Contact Info

There's a Starbucks at Front and Frederick and so the site at Pagannini would be too close, never mind way too large. It's going to be a long time it seems until we see the burned down units ready for tenants.

Does anyone know what's with the constant and nonstop water main breaks on Jarvis between Adelaide and The Esplanade? It's crazy, it seems there's a new one every couple days.
It's apparently a very old main- the City already has plans to replace it from Queen to King in 2017 - I suspect they may 'keep going' to The Esplanade and move it up to 2016.

My dream would be for Starbucks to push out the Second Cup at King and Jarvis, but that's not going to happen. Too bad about Paganelli's - it was a good local spot.

I was at Paganelli a few months ago (for the first time) and it was very average compared to the pretty high price.

I'd like to see a Pho place in the area, but that seems to be wishful thinking.

My dream would be for Starbucks to push out the Second Cup at King and Jarvis, but that's not going to happen. Too bad about Paganelli's - it was a good local spot.

Why would you want a massive international corporation that's already on pretty much every street corner, to push out a Canadian owned business, started by a man who lived homeless on the streets of Toronto?

Both are absolutely terrible and should ideally be replaced by an independent espresso bar/roaster.

Why would you want a massive international corporation that's already on pretty much every street corner, to push out a Canadian owned business, started by a man who lived homeless on the streets of Toronto?
Because I like Starbucks and would buy coffee there.

The repair to the damaged Starbucks building at King and George is apparently not proceeding, their building application was 'deficient'
Building Application Status
clear.gif

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Examiner's Notice Sent

TORONTO ON M5A 1J4

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 15 264390 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 14, 2015

Project: Office Fire Damage

Description: Construct repair work to office due to fire damage, convenience address of 62A George Street

BA Zoning Review Jan 4, 2016 Deficiency
Zone 3 Dvernichuk, Garrett

Interesting - didn't realize that. Though the founder have apparently sold his stake a long time ago.

As to Starbucks - their non-specialty coffee is about as pleasant as toxic sludge (Holiday Blend excluded). That, and there is frankly way too many of them.

AoD

As to Starbucks - their non-specialty coffee is about as pleasant as toxic sludge (Holiday Blend excluded). That, and there is frankly way too many of them.

You mean their brewed coffee? That's the one thing I kind of like about Starbucks - I'm quite happy to go to Starbucks for a cup of coffee (I don't buy their beans or anything to make their coffee at home). What I don't like about Starbucks are its espresso-based drinks - I find their lattes, americanos, etc. are not great.

As for there being too many Starbucks, certainly they are everywhere. I see what you're saying. And if one doesn't like Starbucks, I can see how one would think they're sucking up all the oxygen and preventing other coffee joints from sprouting up. I like their brewed coffee, so am less troubled by it, and frankly I've become somewhat lazy due to them being omnipresent. I find myself thinking whiny stuff like "I have to cross the street to get to that Starbucks? Why isn't there a Starbucks on this side of the street?"

Another watermain break on Lower Jarvis between The Esplanade and Front on the weekend. The City has 2017 plans to replace the main on Jarvis from King to Dundas and maybe this will encourage them to keep on going as this pipe has now been patched 4 or 5 times in the last year and is clearly not in good shape.

Back