News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yes. The building was bought by Old Stonehedge Development Corp and is being converted into The George which will include a Sonder Hotel (www.georgeresidences.ca)
See: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...addition-studio-jci.30411/page-2#post-1559846

NOTE TO MODS; You may want to add this to the map?

Here is a rendering apparently made by a Brit - see red 'pillar box'! But their current permits are apparently for rather small stuff - not the actual addition - so not sure if they got (or will get) the height addition.

George.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Looks like a good addition to the strip, that could maybe spark some further retail/restaurant activity.

Sometimes facebook groups are not complete trash!
This is actually a survey run by the BIA, several of whose members (some of those in the Market) are not in favour of closure. The BIA certainly does not have a veto on this (nor can they push it through) but a complete closure in summer 2022 looks pretty certain to me.

A little bit cryptic, I guess, but I meant that a few neighbourhood Facebook groups directed a ton of pro-pedestrian people to fill in the survey. Or at least people commented they had filled it in.

Im Perfect is opening on north side of Front St between Jarvis & George. Replaces the (long-closed B-Good) . They seem to sell similar 'bowls' and have a similar kind of name; so initially I thought they were connected .... but no. ... See: https://www.imperfectfresheats.com/. ("What is the solution? Designing a menu that incorporates imperfect produce to lower overall costs for customers without sacrificing nutrition or taste. This solution also helps save perfectly good food from going to waste and supports our local farmers and producers with an extra source of income. It is the perfect, or rather yet, imPerfect solution!")

I just noticed that there is now a building permit for the Tom Jones Steak House at 17 Leader Lane. Maybe it will continue as a restaurant? No obvious signs of work going on though it has had some external scaffolding up for ages.
Application:
Building Additions/Alterations
Permit Issued
TORONTO M5E 1L8
Ward 13: Toronto Centre
Application#:
21 183739 BLD 00 BA
Issued Date:
Aug 12, 2021
Project:
Restaurant Greater Than 30 Seats
Work:
Interior Alterations
Description:
Interior alterations of the 3 storey restaurant building, existing stairs to be replaced. Existing building height and ceiling height to remain.

This is actually a survey run by the BIA, several of whose members (some of those in the Market) are not in favour of closure. The BIA certainly does not have a veto on this (nor can they push it through) but a complete closure in summer 2022 looks pretty certain to me.

The wider public and newcomers to the city might not well informed enough where to find such surveys. Also, not everyone has time availability to express their opinion to the BIA or the Market. Most don’t know who the important guys are. @DSC is certainly playing a key role. :)

The word on the street is that the overwhelming majority is not just asking for Market St. pedestrian only, but also to have many other streets dedicated to pedestrians. People are annoyed by noise and pollution which you are especially exposed at CoffeeTO locations. Close down streets to drivers and provide attractive space to people. Take a look what Montreal did with 13 community streets for pedestrians only!

It can’t be that a few market vendors see Market St as their private free VIP parking lot. The BIA has to get the job done to make Market St finally what is was supposed to be from the beginning - pedestrian space only!

The wider public and newcomers to the city might not well informed enough where to find such surveys. Also, not everyone has time availability to express their opinion to the BIA or the Market. Most don’t know who the important guys are. @DSC is certainly playing a key role. :)

The word on the street is that the overwhelming majority is not just asking for Market St. pedestrian only, but also to have many other streets dedicated to pedestrians. People are annoyed by noise and pollution which you are especially exposed at CoffeeTO locations. Close down streets to drivers and provide attractive space to people. Take a look what Montreal did with 13 community streets for pedestrians only!

It can’t be that a few market vendors see Market St as their private free VIP parking lot. The BIA has to get the job done to make Market St finally what is was supposed to be from the beginning - pedestrian space only!
The BIA is only one player in this, there is also the neighbourhood assn (the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Assn) and then individual 'taxpayers' and businesses can (and do) talk directly to our Councillor (Wong-Tam). The SLNA are on the record as being strongly in favour of pedestrianising Market Street (at least) in summer; the BIA organised this survey and that is VERY strongly in favour too so I think they too will now support this and, as far as I know, Wong-Tam is on board as well. I think it should happen for summer 2022. Of course, the BIA survey is not 'scientific' as there were no controls over who 'voted' or how often they did so but (since I agree with the result!!) I think it is just fine. :->

BTW, I am not sure I do (or should) play a key role. I am an 'ordinary citizen' who lives in St Lawrence and have time to nag others to do things I think should be done. (Sometimes with success, sometimes not.) There is really no point shouting at 'the internet' and if you want things changed in the City YOU need to work with groups and individuals such as the BIA, the SLNA and the Councillor. That's how change happens!

Last edited:
Starting tomorrow, 12th October, the City will be paving Lower Jarvis from Front to Queens Quay overnight from 7pm to 7am. They say it may take 5 nights. It will be great to have the street finished as the installation of a new watermain and (in some blocks) a new sewer has gone on for several months and exacerbated the traffic congestion.

Back