News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

248CBF6D-A665-4F14-90AE-7E7816B236B1.jpeg

8EDAAA39-D24D-406A-8115-9B3EB3CB0C8D.jpeg

Changes happening on The Esplanade!

Last edited:
View attachment 356335
Changes happening on The Esplanade!
The real test of this will be how the new one-way sections are enforced. A few weeks ago the City put up the no-left-turn signs on The Esplanade at Lower Jarvis; unless the new traffic control crew are there this is almost totally ignored by vehicles who want to head towards the Gardiner.

I see so many cars turn off the Esplanade onto Lower Jarvis I never would have imagined it was no left turns allowed.

If they set up red light cameras at Front and Jarvis and Esplanade and Jarvis, they could fully fund the TTC's covid revenue shortfall.
There is one, for several years, at Lower Jarvis and The Esplanade but it does not deal with illegal left turns.

I don't know if its been mentioned yet; but with all the delays in getting a permanent new St. Lawrence Library Branch at the First Parliament site, the Library Board has decided to see an 'interim' location for a new
branch, and the later relocate that to the First Parliament site when it becomes available.

This is noted in the Library's 2022 Capital Budget submission, which is on the next Board Meeting Agenda

Report link here: https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca...pital-budget-and-plan-submission-combined.pdf

From the above:

1634602073424.png

I wonder if they would look at Power and Adelaide, its a bit far......but lots of available space...

Only 2 blocks or so from where the ultimate location is proposed.

There is one, for several years, at Lower Jarvis and The Esplanade but it does not deal with illegal left turns.
Does it monitor both Jarvis and Esplanade, or just Esplanade?

And half of the people making illegal lefts from Esplanade to Jarvis are also doing it through a red light. At least once or twice every light cycle at rush hour.

I wonder if they would look at Power and Adelaide, its a bit far......but lots of available space...

Time and Space probably has some room available too. Or St. Lawrence, right across the street.

Time and Space probably has some room available too. Or St. Lawrence, right across the street.

St. Lawrence won't have enough in the desired configuration.

TPL wants at least 10,000ft2.

The largest combination possible is 7,468ft2

1634602961596.png
'

From: https://dnyhc7e4ce952.cloudfront.net/media/pdfs/brochure_4acbc9ff8c.pdf

I don't believe Time and Space has any retail marketing out yet.

So I'm not sure what configurations are possible, the plans are no longer available in the AIC; though there might be a groundfloor plan here somewhere...

Last edited:
Does it monitor both Jarvis and Esplanade, or just Esplanade?

And half of the people making illegal lefts from Esplanade to Jarvis are also doing it through a red light. At least once or twice every light cycle at rush hour.
It's a red light camera for Lower Jarvis, northbound. Put there because of at least one fatal crash with someone who still thought they were on the Gardiner. I do not think cameras are allowed to monitor for illegal left turns.

Last edited:
I thi
I don't know if its been mentioned yet; but with all the delays in getting a permanent new St. Lawrence Library Branch at the First Parliament site, the Library Board has decided to see an 'interim' location for a new
branch, and the later relocate that to the First Parliament site when it becomes available.

This is noted in the Library's 2022 Capital Budget submission, which is on the next Board Meeting Agenda

Report link here: https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca...pital-budget-and-plan-submission-combined.pdf

From the above:

View attachment 356482

I think they do not want to go east of Parliament Street as the branch is supposed to serve people from Yonge eastward and there are two branches on that north-south line. One on Parliament @ Gerrard and one at Sherbourne @ Wellesley. I am told that at one time they were looking at possible sites nearer Jarvis.

The real test of this will be how the new one-way sections are enforced. A few weeks ago the City put up the no-left-turn signs on The Esplanade at Lower Jarvis; unless the new traffic control crew are there this is almost totally ignored by vehicles who want to head towards the Gardiner.
We noticed the new no-left sign and at first went straight, and did a U-ish loop around the temp farmer's market tent to eventually go south on Jarvis. But seeing how nobody else was following it, we just ignore it too. :( IIRC, there was a time where there was a dedicated left turn lane, just now with the recent changes it's all bogged down and blocking the few that want to go straight or right.

Perhaps what they need to do is have an advanced left-turn green? They definitely need to rethink how to properly handle congestion in that intersection though.

The new changes are pretty much designed so that no one will use the Esplanade unless they live there or are going to the school/community centre, so once everything is painted and signed properly and people get used to it, there should be no congestion there.

Back