News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think your outrage is somewhat out of control. The neighbourhood has changed over the last 20 years and I too do not like all of them but a great deal is FAR better.
My outrage is "out of control"? What lol. If you think the neighbourhood feels as safe and clean as it did 5 years ago, more power to you. Calling my comments out of control is laughable.

My outrage is "out of control"? What lol. If you think the neighbourhood feels as safe and clean as it did 5 years ago, more power to you. Calling my comments out of control is laughable.

'Out of control' may be excessive; but 'intolerable' is an extremely strong word that you chose; I can understand it producing a strong reaction.

I spend a fair bit of time in the St. Lawrence area; and while it is not a utopian panacea, it really is a very lovely area with much to recommend it.

It has also shown tangible improvement in some respects in the recent past. Notably, the wonderful facelift of Market Street, and the superb refresh of St. James Park.

Perhaps its possible to express concern over those things that haven't improved, or indeed become more problematic over time, w/o being unduly alarmist.

'Out of control' may be excessive; but 'intolerable' is an extremely strong word that you chose; I can understand it producing a strong reaction.

I spend a fair bit of time in the St. Lawrence area; and while it is not a utopian panacea, it really is a very lovely area with much to recommend it.

It has also shown tangible improvement in some respects in the recent past. Notably, the wonderful facelift of Market Street, and the superb refresh of St. James Park.

Perhaps its possible to express concern over those things that haven't improved, or indeed become more problematic over time, w/o being unduly alarmist.

Am I missing something? What has happened in the area in the last 5 years that elicits a negative reaction? On the surface, all I see are improvements...

I've only lived here for three years, so don't have that much history, but the pandemic has definitely been hard on the neighbourhood. There are a lot of marginally housed people living here even in good times, and last year I think pushed many out to living in the streets. People wanted to avoid shelters because of covid outbreaks. The social services in the neighbourhood serve people from across the city. And we had a number of emergency shelters opened. It's a lot, all at once.

But things will get better. Especially with thousands of new people moving into the neighbourhood with the buildings at Front and Sherbourne and Corktown.

The neighbourhood has made a series of improvements to be sure, including but not limited to park improvements, some new developments, etc.

However with that said, it’s a shame that every walk down front st east, king st east, Adelaide east involves dodging individuals that are mentally I’ll and worse yet combative at times.

It’s gotten both better and worse but where it’s gotten worse it’s felt by those in the neighbourhood.

Finally we are back to 2020, BUT what about the new weekend and evening hours they were on the point of introducing pre-covid?

The St. Lawrence Market's South Market building will resume its regular hours of operation effective Tuesday, November 30, 2021.

The regular hours of operation of the South Market are:
Tuesday to Thursday – 8am to 6pm
Friday – 8am to 7pm
Saturday – 5am to 5pm
Sunday and Monday – Closed

The Farmers Market will continue to be open every Saturday from 5am to 3pm and the Sunday Antique Market will be open every Sunday from 7am to 4pm.

There is no news yet if there will be increased winter holiday hours though all are encouraged to share their feedback if a consultation is held to determine the public's preference.

Last edited:
B3C7EBF3-744C-4CEE-8178-A9AE8022E263.jpeg

New paving stones + trees

View attachment 362028
New paving stones + trees
Yes, it looks much better but it took since April to get it done. We all complain about City-run projects but this one was certainly not a private one to emulate! The McDonalds clock is apparently returning but I do not know if they are planning replacing the outdoor tables and benches - the old ones were junked.

Do you know what project led to these paving stones? Does it have to do with planning?
109 Front St E has a Dec 2020 building permit in the database numbered 20 221383 BLD 00 BA described as "Garage Repair/Reconstruction: Proposed Garage roof slab Re-waterprfing" so I assumed that was the purpose of the work. That likely explains the number of grates on the sidewalk. Probably the roof had degraded and water was leaking into their garage and the new streetscaping was just a side-effect of that work.

I hope those trees survive and thrive, and I would prefer if McDonalds was to put some tables back there, the space looks a bit empty as it is now.

Back