News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Plus a good chunk of the traffic on Market St was just people trying to avoid the gridlock at Front and Jarvis and get on the Gardiner 30 seconds faster. They should just ticket everyone who gridlocks Front and Jarvis, and the throughput of that intersection would double overnight.

Lots of people do drive to the area and then walk around in it. That's what the huge lot at the bottom of Church St is for. I'd prefer more to come by transit, but it's not like there's nowhere for them to park now that they can't clog up Market St.
There is also the indoor parking lot on the east side of Lower Jarvis - it is linked to the Market by a bridge!

Considering these two parks are TINY and will be tightly bounded by tall buildings I am not sure that they need to have such an extensive survey. I also worry that they will raise expectations but neither park can accommodate more than one thing - a kids space, lots of trees, water features, sport equipment etc etc. They need to pick ONE thing and do it well.
I didn't think the survey was particularly extensive -- rank your top three preferences for each park, asked 2 different ways and then something about safety. I don't think that necessarily means that they will try to have too much going on, they are just trying to get enough information to make decisions.

I didn't think the survey was particularly extensive -- rank your top three preferences for each park, asked 2 different ways and then something about safety. I don't think that necessarily means that they will try to have too much going on, they are just trying to get enough information to make decisions.
Lets hope not.

Wellington Construction Update

Week of June 20th

Wellington Street (Yonge Street to Church Street)

• Construction will continue on the north side of Wellington between Yonge St and Church St
  • Work will also be taking place at the intersection of Church St / Wellington St/Front St

Front St ( Scott Street to Market Street)

• Road, curb and sidewalk construction will take place on the south side of Front St approximately 20 meters east of Church St
  • Underground electrical work at Front St and Market Street is scheduled to commence on Tuesday, June 28, and the tentative completion date is July 31. During this work Front Street will be reduced to one lane of east bound traffic from Scott Street
  • Underground sidewalk work will take place intermittently on Front St between Church Street and Market Street during the month of July
  • During the work at the south-east corner of Front St/Market St, construction crews will fence of work area and pedestrian access will be maintained.

Upcoming Intersection Closures
A reminder that the Front Street & Church Street intersection will be closed for 10 days during the month of July. Information will be sent out in mid to late June, once closure dates and a traffic management plan are confirmed.

The Wellington Street East & Church Street intersection will be closed for approximately 17 days from late July to early August for TTC track installation. Once dates and traffic management plan are confirmed further information will be sent out via update in early July.

@DSC thank you for posting. I got the email yesterday. I was wondering if out of the information provided we can conclude regarding delays and if the timeline is on track or not. What do you think?

@DSC thank you for posting. I got the email yesterday. I was wondering if out of the information provided we can conclude regarding delays and if the timeline is on track or not. What do you think?
I think it is safe to say that it will be somewhat delayed but I think the real construction will all be done in 2022 (i.e. finished by late November not late September) and that the plantings will happen in spring 2023 (which is probably better anyway, though I defer to @Northern Light on things horticultural and arboreal!!) The new TTC overhead may follow at end of 2022 or early in 2023 but that work really causes no problems as the new poles will all be there (hopefully in the correct locations!)

EDIT: I just walked the street to see what is going on and they are now (sort of) working in many separate places; the tree pit on Front @ the Flatiron now has earth in it, they started to excavate a similar pit on Wellington just east of Yonge and eastwards from Scott Street but then seemed to stop, they excavated for the tree trench between Leader Lane and Church several weeks ago and are doing some work there so I suppose that my be their current priority. They are also making holes around the Church/Wellington/Front intersection. In short, it looks as though they are not quite sure what to do first so are doing a bit here and then a bit there. Not sure if this is due to shortage of manpower, shortage of material or waiting for someone (Hydro?) to do something or just incompetence.

Last edited:
I think it is safe to say that it will be somewhat delayed but I think the real construction will all be done in 2022 (i.e. finished by late November not late September) and that the plantings will happen in spring 2023 (which is probably better anyway, though I defer to @Northern Light on things horticultural and arboreal!!) The new TTC overhead may follow at end of 2022 or early in 2023 but that work really causes no problems as the new poles will all be there (hopefully in the correct locations!)

The real key w/transplanting trees is that you want them to be in a state of dormancy or low energy production.

So trees that bear nuts, fruits or cones in the fall should, ideally, not be planted in the fall at a point where they are maxing out their energy and don't have the reserves to handle a shock and having their roots heavily cut.

If the tree is very small, and doesn't yet bear nuts/fruits/cones, its less of an issue.

Elsewise, Maples and Elms are fine in fall, so are Basswoods, Dogwoods, Honey Locust, and while I wish the City wouldn't plant them, Ginkos and Kentucky Coffee Trees too.

I would generally avoid planting oaks, hickories, beech and conifer species in the fall if possible.

A fall planting doesn't automatically kill those more sensitive species, but there is certainly an elevated risk.

A good list here from Penn State of species that strongly prefer spring planting:

There are a few tree species such as black gum, hornbeam, birch, beech, white oak, hickory, walnut, holly, and sweet gum that don’t transplant well in the fall. They tend to go dormant very late in the fall and cutting roots to transplant them is best left to early spring, before bud break.

Transplanting evergreens such as pine, spruce and fir in late fall can also be a problem and lead to winter injury or browning and foliar desiccation from dry winter winds. When planting evergreens in the fall it is extremely important to water them weekly until the ground freezes (which is often late December or sometimes January). An anti-desiccant (a waxy polymer) can also be sprayed on fall transplanted evergreens to help protect the needles from losing moisture during the dry winters.

Source: https://extension.psu.edu/programs/...-is-great-time-for-planting-in-your-landscape

Last edited:
89DFA21A-C581-438F-BB6E-44A7256CD500.jpeg
87E5BD75-7B08-4BF7-8B99-ACDBA6F615F7.jpeg

Yes, there has been some small progress and we are now a bit further ahead than we were at this time last year! The work is proceeding very slowly and the reason, given by the workers, is that they are constantly pulled off the job to work on other projects. In 2021, when the project was paused, the City assured the neighbourhood that it would be prioritised in 2022 - if this is getting priority .....

As announced a few months ago, Aveda has moved out of their King St location. No idea if another tenant is lined up but no For Lease signage, yet.

1656948912092.png

Looks like the Value Buds in the old Starbucks is getting pretty close to opening. We had one close on the Sherbourne to Princess block recently, so hopefully the trend is slowing or reversing.

Back