News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Hopefully, the added street life will make up for its lousy design.

The Star of Downtown? It wouldn't even be the Star of Downsview!

I say one day we secretly move it to Wilson and Bathurst or Dufferin and Lawrence, where it would be a big boost to the area.

It would help the Avenues.

The Star of Downtown? It wouldn't even be the Star of Downsview!

Gawd, spmarshall ...I laughed so hard I nearly spit my coffee across my desk!

The crane went up last weekend. (I'm always amazed to see construction activity at this time of year. It was a c*o*l*d day!)

"The Star..." lost it's horizontal crane last night in the winds. This location doesn't have much luck.

From CityTV News - (clip) Winds gusting up to 63 kilometres an hour are
believed responsible for toppling a 12-storey high construction crane at Wellesley
and Parliament late Wednesday night, forcing a temporary road closure and blacking out
hydro for area residents for a time.

No one was hurt and the Ministry of Labour is looking into what happened.
(end clip)

Let's hope a legal mess ensures and kills the project. Not very likely, but one can hope, right?

AoD

I just went by and had a peek at the crane. I can't figure out how exactly it came down. When I first heard the news I figured the operator must have left the brake on so that the crane couldn't weathervane, but walking by that doesn't look like the cause. It almost looks like somehow the crane was hooked on the side of the slab and then got pulled down by the wind.

Here's another one, from above:

crane_1.JPG

Thanks for the images, now that I see the location it may actually look ok when done thanks to the fugly behind it. Wow I've never seen that thing before.

^Yeah, that sucker is ugly, and well worth hiding from view.

Maybe the crane could have fallen in another direction and brought about some urban renewal...

Back