News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Slippery slope arguments are stupid. Oh no, we better not enact that bylaw or else in twenty years we may GO TOO FAR!

'Too far' is arbitrary. Was banning smoking in hospitals going too far? On airplanes? In restaurants & bars? Most people - even smokers - are glad these laws were enacted.

A lot of what was talked about in the article in the OP seems unenforceable, but I really don't see a downside to throwing up 'No Smoking' signs on transit shelters.

Slippery slope arguments are stupid. Oh no, we better not enact that bylaw or else in twenty years we may GO TOO FAR!

'Too far' is arbitrary. Was banning smoking in hospitals going too far? On airplanes? In restaurants & bars? Most people - even smokers - are glad these laws were enacted.

Absolutely. But the inverse argument: "you were fine with that, you should be fine with this" is equally foolish.

A lot of what was talked about in the article in the OP seems unenforceable, but I really don't see a downside to throwing up 'No Smoking' signs on transit shelters.

The downside is how unnecessary it is to politicize public space like that. There is no reason to ban people from smoking outdoors, in public.

>>>Was banning smoking in hospitals going too far? On airplanes? In restaurants & bars? <<<

Yes.

EDIT: Banning smoking in surgery rooms (while surgery is going on) is ok.

EDIT: To clarify, the government should not ban smoking. Private businesses (airlines, restaurants, etc) should be allowed to ban or not ban smoking as they wish.

Last edited:
Sure. But in itself, the idea of not allowing smoking in or close to transit shelters, many of which are always crowded with people isn't necessarily a bad one. It's certainly not going to be the first step in our devolution toward a liberty-less Big Brother world.

Honestly, though, I'm not gung-ho about the idea. The cynical side of me says the City/TTC would find a way for it to cost 4 million dollars to post the signs in bus shelters across the city.

>>>Was banning smoking in hospitals going too far? On airplanes? In restaurants & bars? <<<

Yes.

EDIT: Banning smoking in surgery rooms (while surgery is going on) is ok.

You've convinced me. I for one now long for the halcyon days of babies being born into great big clouds of cigar smoke. We didn't have all these wimpy peanut allergies or quote-unquote autism back in the days when a kid started his life off with the cool, mild taste of Marlboro Lights. Coincidence? Probably not!

Honestly, smoking in public (in the open air!) is extremely rude?
In the middle of a field, perhaps not. But at a bus stop, or busy sidewalk, yes ... extremely rude. I'm surprised that anyone has the gall do be so rude in public - I know I'm pretty obnoxious at times ... but even I couldn't bring myself to do something like that!

How would you quantify your attitude then? Hyperude?

How can someone smoking a cigarette elicit such a venomous response?
Because the smell is absolutely dreadful. It makes one gag at times ... though to be honest I tend to get that reflex more from stale smoke, than fresh. At least they could smoke something that isn't as obnoxious, such as cigars, or weed.

Jesus. Some people's kids.
Uh ... I'm sure, that Jesus was some people's kid. Did he smoke in public as well?

In the middle of a field, perhaps not. But at a bus stop, or busy sidewalk, yes ... extremely rude. I'm surprised that anyone has the gall do be so rude in public - I know I'm pretty obnoxious at times ... but even I couldn't bring myself to do something like that!

There's no arguing with someone as pious as this.

Doing something you don't approve of is not inherently rude. People have been smoking for centuries, and only a decade ago they were smoking everywhere. Imagine if you had to live as those savages 10 years ago did!

And while you think I'm so wildly out of touch, I couldn't help but notice that you didn't refute my points about the legalities and availability of tobacco. It is still a legal, and a tolerated act outdoors. Don't believe me? I'll light a cigarette outside, and no one will arrest or say anything to me. If it were so unacceptable, I would imagine someone other than you would have told me so. So far, no one has.

Last edited:
Doing something you don't approve of is not inherently rude.
Not inherently rude. But in this case, it is rude. I really am starting to get the impression that some smokers really don't actually realise how much everyone around them is glaring at them when they smoke in public places.

Imagine if you had to live as those savages 10 years older than you did!
... this sentance doesn't make sense ... I don't know what difference being 10 years older than I makes ... I know people who smoke who are 20-years younger than I am. And I've known of people who've smoked 30-years younger than I am now.

I couldn't help but notice that you didn't refute my points about the legalities and availability of tobacco.
They had no relevance. Condoms are also legal and available, and I'm sure your not giving blow-jobs at the bus stop.

I would imagine someone other than you would have told me so. So far, no one has.
Ah - your a smoker then. Well that explains a few things - such a rare thing these days. In my office of about 40, I think there's only 3 left ... well 2 really ...

Last edited:
They had no relevance. Condoms are also legal and available, and I'm sure your not giving blow-jobs at the bus stop.

wat.

...At any rate, smoking is not rude. I don't recall anyone I know complaining about people smoking out of doors. With the execption of people having to walk by 100 smokers outside of a bar, I've never once heard a complaint about it. If it were as big a deal as you're making it to be, I believe I would have, so I think you're just really against smoking and it's you who is of a particular delusion.

No, you'd rather go out of your way and insult them directly. Smoking on the sidewalk isn't nearly as rude as what you're saying.

Because the smell is absolutely dreadful. It makes one gag at times ... though to be honest I tend to get that reflex more from stale smoke, than fresh. At least they could smoke something that isn't as obnoxious, such as cigars, or weed.

I think you're being precious now. Most people find pot smoke a lot more cloying than cigarette smoke. Cigar and pipe smoke is quite nice though. But at the end of the day, you can hardly smell someone's cigarette when you're outside - assuming they're not blowing smoke directly in your face (it wouldn't surprise me to learn this is happening to you if you engage smokers in real life the way you're trying to here)

Uh ... I'm sure, that Jesus was some people's kid. Did he smoke in public as well?

Probably, and likely meant to bar the kingdom of heaven to militant anti-smokers.

Wooo! You ARE a prude! Blow-jobs with a condom is like nicotine gum! Sure it's safer, but where's the satisfaction?

Ah - your a smoker then. Well that explains a few things - such a rare thing these days.

And you're calling smoking rude? You're just being patronizing now. I sincerely hope there's a lot of people smoking around you on your way home today. Tonnes.

Last edited:
smoking is not rude.
Of course it is ... don't be silly. Perhaps you should stop and think about it next time your standing at a bus stop smoking. Look the people passing you in their eyes, and try and read their reaction; notice that many actually bend their path, so that they walk as far away as possible from you, without having to inconvenience themselves any.

Last edited:
[...] notice that many actually bend their path, so that they walk as far away as possible from you, without having to inconvenience themselves any.

Well, it's obviously not that big a deal to them if they're not willing to inconvenience themselves any.

Of course it is ... don't be silly. Perhaps you should stop and think about it next time your standing at a bus stop smoking. Look the people passing you in their eyes, and try and read their reaction; notice that many actually bend their path, so that they walk as far away as possible from you, without having to inconvenience themselves any.

They'll be fine.

Back