News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No, you'd rather go out of your way and insult them directly.
Directly ... in Toronto ... as if. I merely glare at them ... or mutter a bit if I've had good mouthful of the stuff. I'm yet to have one of them say a word, or apologize. Smokers used to say in the days when they smoked in restaurants that they were all very polite, and wouldn't smoke at all if it bothered anyone. But no one ever spoke out, so it was okay. How is this different than now?

Smoking on the sidewalk isn't nearly as rude as what you're saying.
If your an ostrich perhaps.

Most people find pot smoke a lot more cloying than cigarette smoke.
Really - it's not half as noxious. I honestly don't think it is the tobacco that smells so gross - it's all those chemicals they pump it full of.

Cigar and pipe smoke is quite nice though.
I agree, it's quite pleasant; I'd rather not get a mouthful of the smoke - but unlike cigarettes, the odour itself doesn't bother me.

But at the end of the day, you can hardly smell someone's cigarette when you're outside - assuming they're not blowing smoke directly in your face
... uh, I think your wrong. I was walking down a sidewalk just yesterday, and caught an awful whiff of smoke, which was bizarre as I knew there was no one with 50-metres in front or behind me, and I looked to my side, and about 5-metres, standing on a porch, was someone smoking. Worst of all is walking down the street behind someone who is smoking, as the smell just doesn't go away unless you stop, or go past. And on still day, if I am driving behind someone who is smoking, I can smell it. The smell travels very easily. Not quite as much as pot - but close.

Wooo! You ARE a prude! Blow-jobs with a condom is like nicotine gum! Sure it's safer, but where's the satisfaction?
It was the bus-stop aspect I was referring to ...

Well, it's obviously not that big a deal to them if they're not willing to inconvenience themselves any.
Just because someone else is extremely rude, is no reason to inconvenience ones self.

I'm simply saying it's a rude and disgusting habit, that is not appreciated in public by those around. And concurring with the assessment of a previous poster. I'm simply amazed that someone is ignorant enough to come on here and say that people aren't bothered by people smoking around them. It's so clearly untrue, I have to wonder where people who are saying that have been for the last 25 years. Talk about rose-coloured glasses! Perhaps if you think I'm wrong, you can run a poll. "Are people bothered by people smoking on the sidewalk and bus stops. Yes or No."

I'm simply saying it's a rude and disgusting habit, that is not appreciated in public by those around. And concurring with the assessment of a previous poster. I'm simply amazed that someone is ignorant enough to come on here and say that people aren't bothered by people smoking around them. It's so clearly untrue, I have to wonder where people who are saying that have been for the last 25 years. Talk about rose-coloured glasses! Perhaps if you think I'm wrong, you can run a poll. "Are people bothered by people smoking on the sidewalk and bus stops. Yes or No."

It's not rude. It may not always be liked, but that's not the same as rude.
They might be bothered, but to an extent, I'm willing to live with that. I certainly don't want to bother anyone, but in our society we have to put up with it sometimes, don't we? Don't we?

416919799_49655741ae.jpg

Let's move on to a related topic: How many of the public smokers on this forum throw their garbage on the ground?

I'm willing to bet that very few actually carry portable ashtrays or even use the cigarette slots in the new garbage bins.

Let's move on to a related topic: How many of the public smokers on this forum throw their garbage on the ground?

I'm willing to bet that very few actually carry portable ashtrays or even use the cigarette slots in the new garbage bins.

Yeah, guilty as charged. I didn't know there were cigarette slots in the new garbage bins. I will certainly make every effort to use them.

Directly ... in Toronto ... as if. I merely glare at them ... or mutter a bit if I've had good mouthful of the stuff. I'm yet to have one of them say a word, or apologize. Smokers used to say in the days when they smoked in restaurants that they were all very polite, and wouldn't smoke at all if it bothered anyone. But no one ever spoke out, so it was okay. How is this different than now?

Oh, ok. You're just venting your spleen. You can't blame people for not being able to read your mind. Most would assume you were a normal human with regular senses. Next time, perhaps, you should politely ask them not to smoke. The glaring...not the best way to get your message across...

If your an ostrich perhaps.

A what?!

... uh, I think your wrong. I was walking down a sidewalk just yesterday, and caught an awful whiff of smoke, which was bizarre as I knew there was no one with 50-metres in front or behind me, and I looked to my side, and about 5-metres, standing on a porch, was someone smoking. Worst of all is walking down the street behind someone who is smoking, as the smell just doesn't go away unless you stop, or go past. And on still day, if I am driving behind someone who is smoking, I can smell it. The smell travels very easily. Not quite as much as pot - but close.

Yesterday? Yesterday, in high winds, you smelled someone smoking 5-meters away, smoking on their porch? You smell people smoking in cars ahead of you while you're DRIVING?! If it were a still day and you were stopped, by virtue of the air being still you shouldn't be smelling it...

I've read some crazy things in my day, but...honestly dude. Maybe you should grow a moustache, anything to filter the world a bit better for you.

It was the bus-stop aspect I was referring to ...

Yeah, no...I think blow jobs with condoms are prudish whether at home or at the bus-stop.

Just because someone else is extremely rude, is no reason to inconvenience ones self.

Ohhhh the irony :p Dilla and I agree with you here.

I'm more amazed that someone could write this: "one had a brain aneurysm on Saturday - so while he's still got an office, he's a vegetable - so I guess he's a non-smoker now ..." And still think of themselves virtuous. Barfsville.

Go kick a smoker on your way home - you'll feel better.

Last edited:

Haaate smoking on the street because of assholes who think it's their place to comment. As if I would stop you on the street to tell you you were fat, or ugly, or wearing tremendously unfashionable clothing. The gall!

I'm more amazed that someone could write this: "one had a brain aneurysm on Saturday - so while he's still got an office, he's a vegetable - so I guess he's a non-smoker now ..." And still think of themselves virtuous. Barfsville.

Yeah, that was brutal. I suppose he though being smug in someone else's misery was the height of humour. For shame.

So this has become a smokers vs. non-smokers debate. Keep it more civil or this thread will be shut down. A reminder that offensive lanugage and vulgar words are not allowed.

Youth group urges smoke-free area nine metres around bus stops

Start by moving the bus stops 9 meters away from the road...where the smoke spews from thousands of vehicles.

Ostrich - you know, large flightless bird ... sticks it's head in the sand?

Yesterday? Yesterday, in high winds, you smelled someone smoking 5-meters away, smoking on their porch? You smell people smoking in cars ahead of you while you're DRIVING?!.
Uh, yes and yes. Though it certainly wasn't windy when I was walking home last night. I swear to god ... I smelled it. And I've certainly smelled drivers in front of me. We've had past discussions threads on this ... others have noted the same thing.

Go kick a smoker on your way home - you'll feel better.
That would be rude, and make me no better than the smoker; besides it's illegal ... nothing illegal about smoking.

Now I think about it, I did once ask a smoker, who was standing outside smoking, to stop ... as the light breeze was bringing it right into my house. Despite my being polite, he merely asserted his right to do whatever he pleased, and was most rude about it; I really don't need experiences like that ... I'll stick to glaring. Oh, and obnoxious comments about the smell of smokers clothing once they are inside.

Start by moving the bus stops 9 meters away from the road...where the smoke spews from thousands of vehicles.
A fair enough comment ... I quickly discovered that jogging along a busy road wasn't very pleasant. Perhaps we should ban cars first.

I think enough is said here ... ponder it the next time your smoking on the sidewalk. And you might want to have your sense of smell checked out if you can't smell cigarette smoke from someone you pass 5-metres away.

Last edited:
Ostrich - you know, large flightless bird ... sticks it's head in the sand?

I know what they are, but...what the hell does that have to do with anything? Where am I sticking my head in the sand? I still maintain that what you've written in this thread is far ruder - in a very direct sense - than smoking could ever be considered.

Uh, yes and yes. Though it certainly wasn't windy when I was walking home last night. I swear to god ... I smelled it. And I've certainly smelled drivers in front of me. We've had past discussions threads on this ... others have noted the same thing.

I'm sure people have said all sorts of things, (people have even tried to suggest that the rail embankment is higher than the Gardiner), but, as always, I remain more than skeptical.

Hey, it's not like I knew the guy ... besides - why would I think of myself as virtuous? Me, virtuous? ROFL!

Still gross. I guess I was hoping for a "You're right, that was a really shitty thing for me to write, I didn't mean it to come out so callously"

Now I think about it, I did once ask a smoker, who was standing outside smoking, to stop ... as the light breeze was bringing it right into my house. Despite my being polite, he merely asserted his right to do whatever he pleased, and was most rude about it; I really don't need experiences like that ... I'll stick to glaring. Oh, and obnoxious comments about the smell of smokers clothing once they are inside.

I think there's a very important difference between banning something because of the health concerns (second hand smoking), and banning something because some people don't like the smell on your clothes, or a slight waft in the air.

I think enough is said here ... ponder it the next time your smoking on the sidewalk.

I have to say, you've done more to hurt your side of the argument than bolster it. I've never wanted to smoke on the street and near glaring people so badly in my entire life. I barely smoke!!!

And you might want to have your sense of smell checked out if you can't smell cigarette smoke from someone you pass 5-metres away.

If you're smelling cigarette smoke on a windy, sleety day from 5-meters away - it isn't your sense of smell you need checked.

Last edited:
TKTKTK;259838[URL="http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/trends_table/pages/yyz_metric_e.html" said:
If you're smelling cigarette smoke on a windy, sleety day from 5-meters away - it isn't your sense of smell you need checked.
From 5-meters away it wouldn't be my smell that would have to be checked. It would be my spelling! ROTFLMAO

I must admit though, from 5-metres away, I was surprised ... I glanced behind me as I thought a smoker must have been been following me, and as I turned back I could see the guy right there smoking away ... I guess it must have been caught just right in the breeze ... though there was no precipitation at the time, as I'd have waited 5 minutes for a bus. And quite frankly not that much breeze, a bit, but not much ... it was about 6 pm on the way home, when the breeze often drops off a bit.

And my sense of smell isn't that keen - my wife can smell an old wet dishrag from a long distance away, that is barely noticeable to me close up.

From 5-meters away it wouldn't be my smell that would have to be checked. It would be my spelling! ROTFLMAO

When the only error you can point out is a spelling mistake; my job here is done.

And my sense of smell isn't that keen - my wife can smell an old wet dishrag from a long distance away, that is barely noticeable to me close up.

Yeah. Funny that.

When the only error you can point out is a spelling mistake; my job here is done.
But spelling mistakes. I just can't imagine anything so rude as using foreign spelling. I mean you walk past someone on the pavement using foreign spelling ... and it's just disgusting - makes you want to walk the other way.

But spelling mistakes. I just can't imagine anything so rude as using foreign spelling. I mean you walk past someone on the pavement using foreign spelling ... and it's just disgusting - makes you want to walk the other way.

He's here all week, folks. Be sure to tip your waiter!

Back