News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I went on google and any that are "closing" have updated their hours on google maps. It says Monday Tuesday Wednesday as closed for example.

I found one at islington/bloor & Queensway staples plaza closing too.

I work directly above 253 Jarvis and they show no sign of closing.

I spoke with them via Instagram and got this reply:

View attachment 296818

The Jarvis and Dundas location is small, even as far as Starbucks goes, and opened during the pandemic only a few months ago, and people are still moving into the area. I was surprised to see it on the list.

The Jarvis and Dundas location is small, even as far as Starbucks goes, and opened during the pandemic only a few months ago, and people are still moving into the area. I was surprised to see it on the list.

Indeed. The Yonge and College location is also an odd one on the list. It is always quite busy.

I would assume the Bay and Grosvenor one is also quite well used by the TPS staff at Headquarters.

I went on google and any that are "closing" have updated their hours on google maps. It says Monday Tuesday Wednesday as closed for example.

I found one at islington/bloor & Queensway staples plaza closing too.

Yep. That was really helpful to check. The one in Downtown Brampton is gone as of Monday - I was surprised to see them open there (Downtown Brampton doesn't have much going on), but I guess with the city staff and the other offices, it made enough money that it lasted a decade there, with just enough residents and visitors to make it work as a 7-day operation.

Anyway, the Jarvis/Dundas location's hours are still showing up on Google Maps for next week while the Gerrard/Church one is showing as closing, so someone made a mistake.

Indeed. The Yonge and College location is also an odd one on the list. It is always quite busy.

I would assume the Bay and Grosvenor one is also quite well used by the TPS staff at Headquarters.

I'm a little bit sad the Yonge and College store is closing. I recall when it opened long ago; my business partner and I had an office at 22 College at the time. Once or twice a day, we would walk over there and relax over espressos. Back then, they served them in real cups, and that was long before Wi-Fi. People actually went there to talk and have a pleasant time, not hog the tables with their laptops.

Of course, they were using overroasted beans so the coffee itself was awful, but at the time, good espressos were very hard to find in Toronto anyway. I liked the ritual more than anything else.

I'm a little bit sad the Yonge and College store is closing. I recall when it opened long ago; my business partner and I had an office at 22 College at the time. Once or twice a day, we would walk over there and relax over espressos. Back then, they served them in real cups, and that was long before Wi-Fi. People actually went there to talk and have a pleasant time, not hog the tables with their laptops.

Of course, they were using overroasted beans so the coffee itself was awful, but at the time, good espressos were very hard to find in Toronto anyway. I liked the ritual more than anything else.

With genuine sympathy for those laid off; I want to be optimistic that this will make more room for indies and secondary chains.

I remember when the chain side of the equation featured:

Starbucks
Second Cup (with a much larger number of locations)
Timothy's
Grabba Java
Pam's

And a few others.

Along with a decently robust section of indies.

Today, the number of indies is down a bit.

But there really isn't any 'chain' competition outside of the super-sized indies like Balzac's (for whom I have a great fondness)

Things I want in my coffee shop:

Good Coffee (can't find that at Starbucks)
Good Pastry (can't find that at Starbucks)
Outlets that are unique, not exactly like the shop 2 blocks away
Comfy seats
Ideally, a fireplace, really nice on a cold winter's day
Newspapers; i still enjoy a Sunday morning browsing the New York Times
Live music on Friday/Saturday evenings. (used to enjoy free, acoustic guitar shows at a coffee shop in the Beach 20 years ago0
Full-time staff, with decent wages/benefits

:rolleyes:

Starbucks is not my preferred outpost.

But I still sympathize w/those losing their jobs.

With genuine sympathy for those laid off; I want to be optimistic that this will make more room for indies and secondary chains.

I remember when the chain side of the equation featured:

Starbucks
Second Cup (with a much larger number of locations)
Timothy's
Grabba Java
Pam's

And a few others.

Along with a decently robust section of indies.

Today, the number of indies is down a bit.

But there really isn't any 'chain' competition outside of the super-sized indies like Balzac's (for whom I have a great fondness)

Comfy seats
Live music on Friday/Saturday evenings. (used to enjoy free, acoustic guitar shows at a coffee shop in the Beach 20 years ago0

Fully agreed - while it's sad for those employed at these locations, I'm hopeful that this will free up spaces for more indie, hipster cafes that actually have character (and good coffee).

Comfy seats

There should be fast reliable Wi-Fi and clean washrooms as well.

There should be fast reliable Wi-Fi and clean washrooms as well.

I'm certainly content to have good wi-fi; though I don't know that I would go to a coffee shop w/making us of that in mind.

As to clean washrooms...............there is nowhere I wish to be where washrooms are permitted in any other state! (or so I would hope)

or more nail salons.....

We just had a victory in the West Don Lands...........allow yourself a modicum of optimism....just until dinner! LOL

Back then, they served them in real cups, and that was long before Wi-Fi. People actually went there to talk and have a pleasant time, not hog the tables with their laptops.

This sounds beautiful.

The myth, the legend.....hey, are you making this stuff up? 😜

Fully agreed - while it's sad for those employed at these locations, I'm hopeful that this will free up spaces for more indie, hipster cafes that actually have character (and good coffee).

Yeah, yeah, for sure....but without the hipsters. 😘

If my recollection and Google serves me right, Yonge & Davisville was one of 5 original Toronto locations opened in January, 1996. Sad to see it go after 25 years.

Back