News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Woah I just realized that, with nearly 41,000 people moving into just the city (not the total metro) in the last year, we are coming up on 1.7 million in the metropolitan area. This time next year, we’ll be there. Wowzers.

Woah I just realized that, with nearly 41,000 people moving into just the city (not the total metro) in the last year, we are coming up on 1.7 million in the metropolitan area. This time next year, we’ll be there. Wowzers.
Should be in that range. The most recent estimate for Calgary metro was 1,640,000 so 1.7M sounds about right.

The latest estimate (federal) was 1,608,000 in 2022, where did you get your number?

I got it from this site. I don't know where they got the numbers from, it might be only an estimate on their part.
It shows Calgary as being 1,640,000,000 for 2023.

I got it from this site. I don't know where they got the numbers from, it might be only an estimate on their part.
It shows Calgary as being 1,640,000,000 for 2023.
I think those are purely estimates. They’re probably not far off from actual numbers, but estimates nonetheless.

Not official statscan numbers, but interesting to see what the next census comes up as.

FyxBCBmaEAAklmz

B.C., Alberta and Ontario are on the move! I remember when Ontario hit 13 million, not long ago and already it’s moving in on 16 million!
Alberta and BC combined already well over 10 million. No wonder the campgrounds in BC and Alberta are fully booked all the time.

I… don’t think that’s the case. It’s currently like 75,000 a year. Lemme check.

Edit: oh wow nevermind. Over 200,000 in the past year. That seems… wild. Record breaking? That’s basically 5% growth in one 12-month period.

I think it's something 4.6-4.7% growth rate...

I don't know if it will continue like this but on some level it will have to if Canada's immigration rate is high. Housing prices will in Ontario and BC will continue to squeeze people out of there. So Alberta will have high interprovincial migration AND international migration.

I… don’t think that’s the case. It’s currently like 75,000 a year. Lemme check.

Edit: oh wow nevermind. Over 200,000 in the past year. That seems… wild. Record breaking? That’s basically 5% growth in one 12-month period.
According to Trevor Tombe, fastest year (% wise) since 1914

Twitter is down right now but he's got a chart on it on his twitter profile

A few more numbers relating to housing starts so far in 2023. Not reflected in the numbers are May's numbers which are lower than April's for every city except Calgary. We'll see if it's just a seasonal blip or maybe the start of a trend. Hopefully higher interest rates isn't starting a trend to cut down the number of starts.

Toronto
Vancouver
Calgary
6867 (of which 3192 are apartment units, 1680 are rowhouse/duplex and 1995 are SFH)
Montreal
Ottawa/Gatineau
Edmonton

Housing Starts 2023.png

Last edited:

Back