News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The design for the Steeles subway station accommodates a centre median BRT on Steeles.

York Region and Toronto share costs of Steeles evenly, but the road is built to Toronto standards and maintained by Toronto. Toronto is about to start widening Steeles in the east end out to the Durham border, and is splitting the cost 50/50 with York Region, even though Toronto is the one building it, maintaining it, and operating transit service on it.

Now that I think of it, Brampton maintains and operates Highway 50 as well, with York Region cost sharing it. York region seems to be getting a good deal on both of their primary border corridors.
Thanks for being useful and not posting the images :p
Bus Terminal.PNG
Concourse.PNG
Ground Centre.PNG
Ground East.PNG
Ground West.PNG

Attachments

• Bus Terminal.PNG
    Bus Terminal.PNG
    491.6 KB · Views: 1,610
  • Concourse.PNG
    Concourse.PNG
    619.1 KB · Views: 1,563
  • Ground Centre.PNG
    Ground Centre.PNG
    649.1 KB · Views: 1,522
  • Ground East.PNG
    Ground East.PNG
    570.6 KB · Views: 1,474
  • Ground West.PNG
    Ground West.PNG
    410.2 KB · Views: 1,509
Here's an updated visualization of something I posted in the Transit Fantasy Maps thread earlier. Presenting VIVA Maroon:

VIVA Maroon.png

*I just realized I mistakenly labelled Dufferin as Bathurst. Yes I know which one is which, I was just in a hurry to make this.*

The vast majority of this route would be planned to have dedicated median lanes, preferably two-way except for the turn from Steeles WB onto Jane NB. The stretch between Dudley Av/Dumont St (immediately east of Yonge) and the GO overpass west of Leslie would be curbside operation. The major (non-YRT) connections are as follows:

- VIVA Orange and Silver, and Zum at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre
- VIVA Green at Don Mills (or even an elevated Relief Line in the far future)
- VIVA Pink from Enterprise eastwards (and Purple A if it's not scrapped)
- VIVA Purple at Kennedy

- GO trains at Unionville (also at Alness Viceroy if York University GO can be closed)
- GO buses and Zum at Highway 407
- TTC Subway service from Pioneer Village westwards, and at Yonge

I would have any TTC-run Steeles BRT be permitted to use the VIVA lanes between Pioneer Village and Warden-Steeles, but not local service buses from Toronto or from York.

Here's an updated visualization of something I posted in the Transit Fantasy Maps thread earlier. Presenting VIVA Maroon:

View attachment 180504

*I just realized I mistakenly labelled Dufferin as Bathurst. Yes I know which one is which, I was just in a hurry to make this.*

The vast majority of this route would be planned to have dedicated median lanes, preferably two-way except for the turn from Steeles WB onto Jane NB. The stretch between Dudley Av/Dumont St (immediately east of Yonge) and the GO overpass west of Leslie would be curbside operation. The major (non-YRT) connections are as follows:

- VIVA Orange and Silver, and Zum at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre
- VIVA Green at Don Mills (or even an elevated Relief Line in the far future)
- VIVA Pink from Enterprise eastwards (and Purple A if it's not scrapped)
- VIVA Purple at Kennedy

- GO trains at Unionville (also at Alness Viceroy if York University GO can be closed)
- GO buses and Zum at Highway 407
- TTC Subway service from Pioneer Village westwards, and at Yonge

I would have any TTC-run Steeles BRT be permitted to use the VIVA lanes between Pioneer Village and Warden-Steeles, but not local service buses from Toronto or from York.
Mixed traffic from Warden to Milliken? Obviously Steeles-Yonge will be underground (as were left to believe in the YNSE EA), but do you propose Pioneer Village Viva Station as underground as it’s “built in preparation for” an underground BRT/LRT station above the platforms at the lower concourse level. Also, I highly doubt that the section from VMC tin PV will be served, as it’s “redundant service” and we should have YRT-TTC fare integration by then.

Mixed traffic from Warden to Milliken?

Maybe if TTC chips in for its own branch to serve Milliken, then definitely it should get its own median lanes for that segment.

Also, I highly doubt that the section from VMC to PV will be served, as it’s “redundant service” and we should have YRT-TTC fare integration by then.

I disagree. The section between VMC and PV encourages VIVA-to-VIVA transfer, and would form a sort of "lower loop" between VIVA Maroon and Orange+Purple. If the concern is paying for infrastructure twice on the same corridor, then that section could be in mixed traffic.

Does Pioneer Village have a section reserved for future Steeles RT? I didn't know that. In that case, I don't see why it can't be used for the VIVA station, maybe with a bus-only road bypassing the Jane-Steeles intersection...

Maybe if TTC chips in for its own branch to serve Milliken, then definitely it should get its own median lanes for that segment.

I disagree. The section between VMC and PV encourages VIVA-to-VIVA transfer, and would form a sort of "lower loop" between VIVA Maroon and Orange+Purple. If the concern is paying for infrastructure twice on the same corridor, then that section could be in mixed traffic.

Does Pioneer Village have a section reserved for future Steeles RT? I didn't know that. In that case, I don't see why it can't be used for the VIVA station, maybe with a bus-only road bypassing the Jane-Steeles intersection...
I know that connecting Viva on Steeles with Viva on Highway 7 on both East and West is a good thing. I'm saying that there may not be infrastructure or even service to service it.

That’s politician speak for it’s not a priority. Anything unfunded doesn’t move forward. Heck even some funded things are stuck - see Hamilton LRT.

That’s politician speak for it’s not a priority. Anything unfunded doesn’t move forward. Heck even some funded things are stuck - see Hamilton LRT.
Sadly, the Ford Government hasn't been an advocate for transit like the last one.

Sadly, the Ford Government hasn't been an advocate for transit like the last one.
Not true. The Liberals ran their mouths on transit, but got sticker shock at the cost of their grand plans.

Ford's meddling with plans hasn't been the best, but he's generally moved things forward and there were no major cancellations. More like the previous government's pie in the sky wish list list was whittled down to prioritize the more realistic projects.

Yes, there's been plenty of politicized decisions, but that's just like every other transit project since forever.

Not true. The Liberals ran their mouths on transit, but got sticker shock at the cost of their grand plans.

Ford's meddling with plans hasn't been the best, but he's generally moved things forward and there were no major cancellations. More like the previous government's pie in the sky wish list list was whittled down to prioritize the more realistic projects.

Yes, there's been plenty of politicized decisions, but that's just like every other transit project since forever.

If we look at a lot of the projects under construction, or finished under Ford, they are all legacy projects from the former Liberal governments. TYSSE, iON, HLRT,,Finch West, and even the Confederation line all were done under the last government. What projects were approved by Ford?

I said they moved things forward. The original claim is they aren't advocates for transit. But they continued all the previous projects. Sounds like advocates to me. The libs built less than they talked.
I guessI see what you mean. Much better than when Harris came in and buried the Eglinton Subway line. Tome, an advocate, not only keeps it going, but adds new projects.

Fair enough. I guess we're all so worried about transit being cancelled that no cancellations/status quo begins to seems good enough. But of course, always room for improvement.

Back