News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Have they given up on replacing blubs for older lights? I've reported probably about 30 dead ones since august and none of them have been changed.
They generally do not change/replaced bulbs unless there are 3+ missing in same area. I assume it is seen as too expensive to send a crew to change one bulb. (How many THSL workers does it take to change a bulb? ....)

Here's the latest update we have...
On July 5, 2021, the Infrastructure and Environment Committee passed a motion by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam to review street lighting standards and the agreement with Toronto Hydro... who has been a very bad actor in terms of the quality, maintenance, and adherence of design standards regarding street lights. We'll get an update on October 26, 2021! Lol I'm such a nerd.

Shining a Light on Toronto Hydro by Updating Street Lighting Options

Committee Decision
The Infrastructure and Environment Committee:

1. Requested the General Manager, Transportation Services to report back to the October 26, 2021 Infrastructure and Environment Committee meeting with details on the current agreement with Toronto Hydro, including information on the current status of the agreement, when it expires or is up for renewal, and options for adding new lighting standards to the list of those approved for use and installation by Toronto Hydro.

2. Requested the General Manager, Transportation Services to include in the report requested in Part 1 above, the policy for adding and replacing pedestrian-scale lighting where the sidewalks are dark at night and require additional lighting.​
Origin
(June 18, 2021) Letter from Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam​
Summary
Toronto Hydro provides a critical service in delivering lighting to Toronto streets. However, the City’s agreement with Toronto Hydro, through Transportation Service, has some significant gaps that are creating community concerns about accessibility and safety.

The current agreement with Toronto Hydro requires the road to be properly lit, but not the sidewalk, leaving many sidewalks relying on adjacent buildings, if any, for illumination. In some areas of the City, this can create accessibility and safety concerns.

There are also community design aspirations and existing local lighting standards that the current agreement does not assist with nor protect in the long-term. If a new light is to be installed or an existing light replaced, Toronto Hydro typically will default to a standard design, such as the “Cobra Head” Luminaire which is attached to 25 foot poles.

This design, while functional, is not a suitable replacement for many areas of the City that have paid for and/or historically used other standards. As an example, Victorian-style lighting standards in some parts of the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood reflect both the Old Town heritage character and provide pedestrian scale lighting. Without an identical or similar lighting standard option, these lights are being replaced by Toronto Hydro’s standard and sometimes much taller poles as they are damaged or reach their end of life. Without an approved alternative, reinstating the previous neighbourhood-specific lights is both challenging and expensive.

It would be helpful to understand the status of the City’s current agreement with Toronto Hydro, when it expires or is up for renewal, and what additional options could be considered to both expand lighting to City sidewalks and to create new lighting standards, both functional and aesthetically deserved, that can respond to specific neighbourhood needs.​
Background Information
(June 18, 2021) Letter from Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam on Shining a Light on Toronto Hydro by Updating Street Lighting Options
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-168511.pdf)​
Motions
1 - Motion to Amend Item moved by Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Carried)
That Infrastructure and Environment Committee:

1. Request the General Manager, Transportation Services to include in the report that will be coming back to the October 26, 2021 Infrastructure and Environment Committee meeting, the policy for adding and replacing pedestrian-scale lighting where the sidewalks are dark at night and require additional lighting.
Motion to Adopt Item as Amended moved by Councillor Jennifer McKelvie (Carried)

Last edited:
Here's the latest update we have...
On July 5, 2021, the Infrastructure and Environment Committee passed a motion by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam to review street lighting standards and the agreement with Toronto Hydro... who has been a very bad actor in terms of the quality, maintenance, and adherence of design standards regarding street lights. We'll get an update on October 9, 2021! Lol I'm such a nerd.

Shining a Light on Toronto Hydro by Updating Street Lighting Options

Committee Decision
The Infrastructure and Environment Committee:

1. Requested the General Manager, Transportation Services to report back to the October 26, 2021 Infrastructure and Environment Committee meeting with details on the current agreement with Toronto Hydro, including information on the current status of the agreement, when it expires or is up for renewal, and options for adding new lighting standards to the list of those approved for use and installation by Toronto Hydro.

2. Requested the General Manager, Transportation Services to include in the report requested in Part 1 above, the policy for adding and replacing pedestrian-scale lighting where the sidewalks are dark at night and require additional lighting.​
Origin
(June 18, 2021) Letter from Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam​
Summary
Toronto Hydro provides a critical service in delivering lighting to Toronto streets. However, the City’s agreement with Toronto Hydro, through Transportation Service, has some significant gaps that are creating community concerns about accessibility and safety.

The current agreement with Toronto Hydro requires the road to be properly lit, but not the sidewalk, leaving many sidewalks relying on adjacent buildings, if any, for illumination. In some areas of the City, this can create accessibility and safety concerns.

There are also community design aspirations and existing local lighting standards that the current agreement does not assist with nor protect in the long-term. If a new light is to be installed or an existing light replaced, Toronto Hydro typically will default to a standard design, such as the “Cobra Head” Luminaire which is attached to 25 foot poles.

This design, while functional, is not a suitable replacement for many areas of the City that have paid for and/or historically used other standards. As an example, Victorian-style lighting standards in some parts of the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood reflect both the Old Town heritage character and provide pedestrian scale lighting. Without an identical or similar lighting standard option, these lights are being replaced by Toronto Hydro’s standard and sometimes much taller poles as they are damaged or reach their end of life. Without an approved alternative, reinstating the previous neighbourhood-specific lights is both challenging and expensive.

It would be helpful to understand the status of the City’s current agreement with Toronto Hydro, when it expires or is up for renewal, and what additional options could be considered to both expand lighting to City sidewalks and to create new lighting standards, both functional and aesthetically deserved, that can respond to specific neighbourhood needs.​
Background Information
(June 18, 2021) Letter from Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam on Shining a Light on Toronto Hydro by Updating Street Lighting Options
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-168511.pdf)​
Motions
1 - Motion to Amend Item moved by Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Carried)
That Infrastructure and Environment Committee:

1. Request the General Manager, Transportation Services to include in the report that will be coming back to the October 26, 2021 Infrastructure and Environment Committee meeting, the policy for adding and replacing pedestrian-scale lighting where the sidewalks are dark at night and require additional lighting.
Motion to Adopt Item as Amended moved by Councillor Jennifer McKelvie (Carried)
Yes, IF we get the Report it will be very interesting. I suspect it may be 'delayed' but we shall see.

Yes, IF we get the Report it will be very interesting. I suspect it may be 'delayed' but we shall see.
I hope so. It's really disappointing how many requests by Council are delayed or even completely forgotten about. I guess that's why they occasionally use "direct" instead of "request" in more important matters.

I hope so. It's really disappointing how many requests by Council are delayed or even completely forgotten about. I guess that's why they occasionally use "direct" instead of "request" in more important matters.
I fear it makes little difference if it's a request or a demand and Councillors tend to forget what they asked about so Staff just postpone answering until they are reminded - and then there's an election .... If there is no report for 26th meeting October I will ask Wong-Tam, suggest you (and others) do so too!

I fear it makes little difference if it's a request or a demand and Councillors tend to forget what they asked about so Staff just postpone answering until they are reminded - and then there's an election .... If there is no report for 26th meeting October I will ask Wong-Tam, suggest you (and others) do so too!
I'm pretty cynical, too. I got in touch with her office's planning advisor, so yeah I'll make sure to complain if nothing happens!

New report on street lighting to the Infrastructure and Environment Committee
IE26.15 - Update on Pedestrian Scale Street Lighting

1. They misunderstood the purpose of Wong-Tam's motion... to review street lighting in general, not just pedestrian lighting. Hence, the name: "Update on Pedestrian Scale Street Lighting". Denzil Minnan-Wong's motion was prioritized.
2. No timeline for a new agreement with Toronto Hydro.
3. Their strategy for street lighting standards focuses on safety and accessibility, and will look at aesthetics and unique lighting only for "heritage parts of the city". Not good enough!
4. No input from Urban Design / City Planning.
5. Pedestrian lighting state-of-good-repair funding will be requested in 2023. I'm not sure if they can deal with this before the launch of the 2022 Transportation Services Budget, so I'll give this one a pass.
6. They acknowledge that additional funding may be required for decorative lighting, but do not include any details on when that funding would be requested (probably 2023 Budget, right?)

Back