News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Unless a photo is geo-tagged with Latitude/Longitude coordinates and tagged with precise heading using a magnetometer, then there's no automated way to stitch millions of photos from random people together. Again, people use different settings, different depths of field and focus, different lenses, shoot at different times of day so there is lighting/shadow discrepancies, and so on. As a professional photographer, I'd love get my hands on this technology you speak of.

Street View uses 360º photos at regular intervals to give you the smooth transitions you see. That cannot be replicated by random photos taken by people around the world.

What can and is being done is have people's photos of an area viewable in context in Street View as whatever explained, but not as the main 360º view of an area. Google's system works great, I can't wait to see Toronto's Street View go live.

+1 on this ... no way it could be done with user submitted photos. Would be a logistical nightmare.

Google Street View

... not sure if this is posted elsewhere, but Google Street View is now live in TO! It looks to be a few months behind, though.

Link: http://maps.google.ca

Last edited:
That's me!

GoogleStreetview.jpg

Yep, it covers every completed street in Brampton - surprised by that.

It's also live for Kitchener-Waterloo (but not Cambridge), Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary (including the entire TCH as far as Lake Louise), and Vancouver (including the Sea-to-Sky Highway to Whistler).

If Ed hadn't already been immortalised as Chartattack's head honcho, he will be now as a Google Maps Streetview feature.

It's funny, I heard about this awhile ago, but I didn't know it was in Toronto now; this morning I went on Google Maps to show someone where I am, but then I was just able to show them a pic of my apartment building,

Back