News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Next time, if the man with the car and the camera gives me enough advance notice, I'll put on a suitably alarming tableau vivant out front of my place for him - something involving farm animals, maybe.

I like this New Google Map Program ... You can use this to look at a neighborhood before you go to look at a house if you are in the market to be buying a home. You can scroll up & down the blocks surrounding & see what you wouldn't see when you normally go house hunting.

But I also think this new Google Maps can possibly assist criminals who may be looking to steal cars or break into homes. It's one stop shopping.

Now we know why the big effort to get street view completed.

But I also think this new Google Maps can possibly assist criminals who may be looking to steal cars or break into homes. It's one stop shopping.

How? So there was a certain car parked in a certain driveway six months ago or more. Just how useful is that information compared to actually driving around the neighbourhood that day?

... and then there are the imaginary places! (FRom Daily Telegraph, UK) 1 November, 2009

Mystery of Argleton, the 'Google' town that only exists online
Argleton, a 'phantom town' in Lancashire that appears on Google Maps and online directories but doesn't actually exist, has puzzled internet experts.

By Rebecca Lefort
Published: 6:00PM GMT 31 Oct 2009

Google and the company that supplies its mapping data are unable to explain the presence of the phantom town and are investigating
The town appears on Google Maps in the middle of fields close to the M58 motorway, just south of Ormskirk.

Its 'presence' means that online businesses that use data from the software have detected it and automatically treated it as a real town in the L39 postcode area. An internet search for the town now brings up a series of home, job and dating listings for people and places "in Argleton", as well as websites which help people find its nearest chiropractor and even plan jogging or hiking routes through it. The businesses, people and services listed are real, but are actually based elsewhere in the same postcode area.

Google and the company that supplies its mapping data are unable to explain the presence of the phantom town and are investigating.

Tantalisingly, “Argle” echoes the word “Google”, while the phantom town’s name is also an anagram of “Not Real G”, and “Not Large”.

One theory is that Argleton could have been deliberately added, as a trap to catch companies that violate the map's copyright.

So-called "trap streets" are often inserted by cartographers but are, as their name suggests, usually far more minor and indiscreet that bogus towns.

Roy Bayfield, head of corporate marketing at what would be Argleton's closest university, Edge Hill, in Ormskirk, was so intrigued by the mystery that he walked to the where the internet indicated was the centre of Argleton to check that there was definitely nothing there.

"A colleague of mine spotted the anomaly on Google Maps, and I thought 'I've got to go there'," he said.

"I started to weave this amazing fantasy about the place, an alternative universe, a Narnia-like world. I was really fascinated by the appearance of a non-existent place that the internet had the power to make real and give a semi-existence."

When Mr Bayfield reached Argleton – which appears on Google Maps between Aughton and Aughton Park – he found just acres of green, empty fields.

Joe Moran, an academic at Liverpool John Moores University and map expert, said: "It could be a deliberate error so people can't copy maps. Sometimes they put in fictional streets as the errors would prove they were stolen. I haven't heard of it before on Google Maps."

A spokesman for Google said: "While the vast majority of this information is correct there are occasional errors. We're constantly working to improve the quality and accuracy of the information available in Google Maps and appreciate our users' feedback in helping us do so. People can report an issue to the data provider directly and this will be updated at a later date."

The data for the programme was provided by Dutch company Tele Atlas. A spokesman said it would now wipe the non-existent town from the map.

He added: "Mistakes like this are not common, and I really can't explain why these anomalies get into our database."

Massive expansion of Canadian street view coverage today, from the Dempster Highway to the Avalon Peninsula.

Google just updated its Streetview images with 2011 and 2012 drive-bys across the GTA, and it looks like across Ontario and Canada as well.

Yea I wasted some time yesterday on it. try going in and around the Younge & Gerrard intersection, Aura jumps from 3 to 20 floors depending on where the camera is located. (same with Cinima Tower, jumps from below streetlevel to 30 floors high)

Google just updated its Streetview images with 2011 and 2012 drive-bys across the GTA, and it looks like across Ontario and Canada as well.

i know, i found images of me driving down the road in street view, and i know it was recent cus i remember seeing the google car 4 mths ago

i know, i found images of me driving down the road in street view, and i know it was recent cus i remember seeing the google car 4 mths ago
Looks like a combination of late 2011 and spring early/summer 2012 from what I found and the vegetation. Found my wife and daughter!

it looks like they stiched together new and old footage from street view. i remember seeing the google car driving to work one day, so i checked street view and sure enough its updated and i can see my car, then i followed it and they suddenly go back to older images and u see totally different cars and snow on the ground for a few clicks then magically back to my car again. either the picture data was lost or someone at Google got lazy, they didnt even blur out my licence plate in some pictures how can i complain? i can see my face too?

The new 400 Nobel Bypass north of Parry Sound is mostly up now, but I notice that the Streetview car exits the 400 and the old images are still in place of the old highway beyond that. Why wouldn't they have completed the reshoot especially considering even the two lane stretch up to Point-Au-Baril was reshot?

Back