York & Richmond
QZ 41.jpg

QZ 44.jpg

QZ 48.jpg

York St (south of Richmond)
QZ 43.jpg

QZ 45.jpg

QZ 46.jpg

This on TTC website: https://www.ttc.ca/about-the-ttc/projects-and-plans/Adelaide-Street-track-renewal .

This diversion is in place until the City and TTC complete streetcar track installation work along Adelaide Street from York Street to Victoria Street, and Metrolinx completes streetcar installation on York Street from Queen Street West to Adelaide Street. The City, TTC and Metrolinx expects the work on York Street to be completed in the fall of 2024.

Adelaide streetcar track renewal (York Street to Church Street)

In April 2024, crews completed track renewal work on Adelaide Street, however, before streetcars can safely operate on Adelaide Street West (and on York Street), TTC crews have to install overhead wiring on Adelaide Street. TTC crews have been completing this work since 2023.

Work hours and timelines for TTC overhead wiring work on Adelaide Street

• The TTC expects to have this work completed late fall 2024.
  • Crews work Monday to Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Evening, overnight, and/or weekend work will take place when needed.
Travel restrictions on Adelaide Street

• TTC crews will occupy one curb lane at a time on Adelaide Street to complete remaining overhead work.
  • Additional lane closures (if needed) will be communicated on this webpage.
  • Signage will be installed to inform motorists and cyclists of lane restrictions ahead.
  • Sidewalks and driveways will remain accessible during construction.
York streetcar track renewal (Queen Street West to Adelaide Street)

In early August, Metrolinx's contractor and the TTC completed track renewal work on York Street from Adelaide Street to Queen Street West. TTC crews have started overhead wiring installation work on York Street.

I wonder if we get the 501 back through this area with streetcars using an interim routing for a month or two, WB via Richmond and EB via King, instead of waiting until Adelaide is 100% complete.

I wonder if we get the 501 back through this area with streetcars using an interim routing for a month or two, WB via Richmond and EB via King, instead of waiting until Adelaide is 100% complete.
That will be hard to do with no overhead over Queen and York.

Dan

That is not the plan. Frankly, it would probably take the TTC as long to look at and evaluate this idea and put it into effect as it would to get on with and finish the damned overhead! Of course, getting this diversion open should be a high priority but it seems the TTC does not think so,

That is not the plan. Frankly, it would probably take the TTC as long to look at and evaluate this idea and put it into effect as it would to get on with and finish the damned overhead! Of course, getting this diversion open should be a high priority but it seems the TTC does not think so,
The target opening was always late fall 2024, IIRC. I agreed this work should have been completed prior to closing Queen to streetcars. And it's baffling that there was apparently no attempt to get it open more quickly

The target opening was always late fall 2024, IIRC. I agreed this work should have been completed prior to closing Queen to streetcars. And it's baffling that there was apparently no attempt to get it open more quickly
Yes, the TTC has said "Fall 2024" completion for ages BUT it COULD (and SHOULD) be finished faster. Up to now, they could blame Metrolinx - who were responsible for the work and the tracks at York & Queen - but now it's all TTC work - the overhead! It should surely be possible to string this faster and return the major 501 streetcar route to a cross-city one by EARLY Fall.

What I don’t understand is why Toronto allows any parking on Richmond and Adelaide as these are through streets and should be setup for maximum throughput of vehicles and trams and trucks. There should be a guarantee of at least 2 lanes of traffic available even during construction. Getting on with 1 lane really creates bottlenecks for often 1-2 vehicles that park and block traffic. Shows that Toronto really doesn’t know how to manage traffic at all.

Isn't it banned at rush hour? Trades people need places to park
What I don’t understand is why Toronto allows any parking on Richmond and Adelaide as these are through streets and should be setup for maximum throughput of vehicles and trams and trucks. There should be a guarantee of at least 2 lanes of traffic available even during construction. Getting on with 1 lane really creates bottlenecks for often 1-2 vehicles that park and block traffic. Shows that Toronto really doesn’t know how to manage traffic at all.

It should be but never enforced. Trades people can park on other roads or the building should have delivery docks in their garages.

Reactions: PL1
It should be but never enforced. Trades people can park on other roads or the building should have delivery docks in their garages.
Then enforce it instead of a blanket ban? Imagine if we banned bikes and pets off transit here because people don't follow the rush hour rules?

The docks cost money, a lot more than street parking. When I dealt with calling contractors for equipment repairs, I'd stack work since they ended up paying $40 each time they visited.

Back