8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Second_in_pie

Member Bio
Reaction score
This seems to be gaining a fair bit of controversy and media coverage, I believe it was on CP24 a couple nights ago.

Earlier this month, a student at Northern Secondary School was arrested by a police officer who was assigned to the school. The students are alleging that the arrest was unjust and uncalled for.

Personally, I actually know someone at Northern. They said that the person who was arrested called the cop Bacon, and the cop lost it. He said that the officer was usually pretty unpleasant.

Personally, I think that this is an example of the police having too much power. If they can arrest someone for calling them a name, like fishpaste (pulling a spongebob reference outta the air here,) I see a problem. Unless it's a really harsh word, I think that the police should be mature enough to just shrug it off and should have no right at all to fully arrest them.

Video of the arrest

Interview on the news

In the news broadcast, it noted that the video showed him resisting arrest, and I'm fine with that. He can be charged with resisting arrest, but then the cop should be charged for an unjust arrest (or something along those terms.) I always hate it when I hear about a huge arrest over a tiny thing like this, and even more when there's not a single mention of abuse of power.

But what're your opinions on this, and the cops in schools program in the first place?

Absolutely....

While the cop's reaction was too much, the kid instigated it and intiated the whole damn thing by the sounds of it. What this comes down to is a complete lack of respect for authority. Why would you otherwise see a cop, then insult him and expect nothing to happen?

Personally, if we were raising kids to show respect, set the examples of respect and the consequences of when you crossed the line, this idiot kid would never have done this thinking he was going to get away with it.

I see this happen all the time. People need to set boundaries with their children, show them who's the boss and punish accordingly when you break the rules.
We don't do this anymore and stories like this show what's happened.

Kids go out into the world and absolutely have zero repect for others and behave as though they can act with impunity.

I don't feel for sorry for this idiot at all.
If he is willing to do this to a cop, then what would he do against someone not in a position of authority or the means to defend themselves.

Think about it.

Last edited:
Actually....

This story reminds me of a story told to me by a co-worker about a manager that worked at my workplace years back.

Right now my workplace is full of bad attitude, trash talking brats who run rampage throughout the place and dare anyone to discipline them. Before I started there, there was this portuguese man who was the acting manager. Apparently he was reasonably fair and nice but.....

He use to be a street fighter who then went on to become a professional fighter and my co-worker saw him fight once in the street and said he was one of the best fighters he had ever seen in his life.

My friend at work use to fight himself and comes from Brazil so he has a good knowledge of fighting skills.

So.... people were acting up and one tough guy challenged him, himself a so-called fighter who took martial arts and fought in the streets and verbally insulted him. The manager played it cool, told him that after work, he was going to wait outside and they would settle it.

The guy thought he was bluffing, finished his shift, went outside and saw his manager waiting. He promptly backed off and decided the manager scared the shit out of him and from then on, behaved himself.

While he was there, people absolutely did their jobs, behaved themselves and didn't think about mouthing off.

When he left, things fell apart and years later, brats run the place. This of course speaks volumes about the incompetence of the administration to actually keep the staff in line but that's another story.

What this comes down to is a complete lack of respect for authority. Why would you otherwise see a cop, then insult him and expect nothing to happen?

i'm not one to believe that you should respect someone based on their authority. it sets a bad standard. just think of all the people who have been abused by someone in a position of authority and the victim doing nothing because they were taught to respect or fear a authority figure. that being said, there is reason and way to respect someone who is in a authoritative position. you should have respect or neutral feelings to someone who has done no harm to you or any known harm to others. you can have respect for a cop, not just because he's a cop, but because he's a person who did nothing wrong to you. and even then, if someone does something wrong to you, going on the attack isn't always the best solution.

cops are people just like anyone else and are subject to the same emotional effects as anyone else. the only difference is that they carry guns. either you have balls to start a confrontation with a cop or a mild case of mental retardation. personally, if i went camping in the forest, i wouldn't actively seek out bears to brawl with.

i'm not one to believe that you should respect someone based on their authority.
I don't respect the police because of their authority. No, instead I respect them because they put themselves in personal danger to keep my family and property safe. Think of Jane Creba - when everyone else was running for their lives, the police were running into the gunfire - you've got to respect that. I've never had any problems with the police, and I've earned the few speeding tickets I received. I'd love to have a police officer in my kids' school when they're older.

It's in jest certainly, but if people would follow Chris Rock's advice here, no one would have trouble from the police http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2wOxnAiIVs

Last edited:
I don't respect the police because of their authority. No, instead I respect them because they put themselves in personal danger to keep my family and property safe.

The moral of the story is to remember that the police are on the side of the law, not the side of the citizenry or commonsense.

So, which is it?

So, which is it?
Why, neither are exclusive of the other. As I said, the police are on the side of enforcing the law. Those laws protect my family and property. In the execution of law enforcement, and protecting my family and property, the police put themselves in danger, for which I am grateful and respectful.

As I also said, the police are not on the side of what we may call the citizenry or what we might call commonsense. The commonsense view might be, for example, that this store owner should never have been charged by the police, since this was an apparent case of the citizenry standing up for its property rights, the same rights the police are supposed to protect. However, if the police deem that you have overdone it by kidnapping the person, then no matter what the citizenry's collective commonsense says, you're going to get charged.

Keep this in perspective....

If you don't agree with the actions or dislike the personality of the police officer, you still don't insult them to their face and expect nothing to come of this. Come on, do I really have to spell this out? The guy might be an asshole but he's in a position of power and armed.

I was raised to know better than this.

It is far more productive and constructive to show your disapproval and displeasure with the conduct of the said officer in question, and go through the proper channels than just verbally insulting the officer to his face.

This is just begging for a retaliation. The kid was being a asshole and got nailed for it.

We have far too many mouthy idiots out there now and it's due to parents not raising their children with proper structure, discipline and showing respect to others in society. Too many young people simply don't respect authority in any form and often show contempt with their actions.

It's everywhere.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind officers reponding to verbal insults with physical violence if I could do the same.

^lol I can see how that would go. We all know any such rules would end up allowing police to do it while throwing citizens under the bus.

The above two posts reminded me of Chris Rock's skit on how to avoid getting your ass kicked by police.

I've always wondered about this. I understand in the U.S. it is perfectly legal to tell an officer to go fuck himself (the unsanctioned consequences of which make it in hindsight not a smart thing to do) but in Canada does it fall under the category of some crime like "assault"?

I have no love for law enforcement and have only had 1 experience where a police officer was NOT a dick (in a small sampling) while understanding they are completely necessary. I just wish idiot thugs weren't the only people that signed up for the job.

Last edited:
Gross generalization....

While your experiences with law enforcement might have been negative when dealing with rude officers, I have have never had any such experience.

Whenever I've talked with an officer, watched them in action while taking statements and seeing how they conduct themselves in the public, they've been reasonably acting inviduals.

I have respect law enforcement and see it as vital to dealing with a public.

But even on this board, you can see contempt for someone trying to enforce the law and getting attitude from the public. I can see where under duress and stressful conditions you might want to throw a vulgar insult to an officer's face, but common sense and manners should tell you that isn't a good thing to do.

If a police officer is being rude and has a unpleasant attitude, then get his badge number and other info and report it. Don't be the bigger idiot and insult the officer to their face and call them names.

There is a much better way of dealing with situations when dealing with authority and law enforcement.

Can you imagine calling a judge a name and they just letting it slide? Like I said, too many people run their mouths off and just act like brats with entitlement issues and think they can be verbally insulting and expecting to get away it.

If a police officer is being rude and has a unpleasant attitude, then get his badge number and other info and report it.

...to the police.

There is a much better way of dealing with situations when dealing with authority and law enforcement.

Put your head down, say yes sir and accept it....because they're above the law.

Like I said, too many people run their mouths off and just act like brats with entitlement issues and think they can be verbally insulting and expecting to get away it.

Like TTC operators? Oh wait, they can get away with it because of the laws protecting them from their customers.

He called the cop Bacon? hahahaha.

I don't think he should have been arrested. He probably wouldn't even get detention for saying that to a teacher.

If the cop is fat and the kid calls him fat, I don't see a problem...

Back