News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Just out of curiosity, how many of the people on this forum actually filled out the survey?

Meh, Betty's redundantly repetative station announcements (often not corrected for high volume, she often forgets her indoor voice) did enough to create noise pollution.

My active noise cancelling bud earphones really help. I paid $80 US a year ago, they are a sound investment.

My active noise cancelling bud earphones really help. I paid $80 US a year ago, they are a sound investment.

...no pun intended?

I agree, one can shut onesself off from the hubub. I just think it's not a big deal for people to go a few minutes without phone service when they're already en route. It's not like a hotel not having wi=fi or something - it'll just lead to (as myself and others have alluded) teenage yapping and more to do for Blackberry addicts.

Along with those doodads, this is really about our culture and the misguided need to always be attached to everyone else rather than, say, the need for TTC-riding brain surgeons to reachable, lest lives be lost while they're between Eglinton and Lawrence.

Maybe that's being judgmental but I can't imagine too many "important" calls are now being lost to the tunnels...It's hardly the end of the world either way.

...no pun intended?

I agree, one can shut onesself off from the hubub. I just think it's not a big deal for people to go a few minutes without phone service when they're already en route. It's not like a hotel not having wi=fi or something - it'll just lead to (as myself and others have alluded) teenage yapping and more to do for Blackberry addicts.

Along with those doodads, this is really about our culture and the misguided need to always be attached to everyone else rather than, say, the need for TTC-riding brain surgeons to reachable, lest lives be lost while they're between Eglinton and Lawrence.

Maybe that's being judgmental but I can't imagine too many "important" calls are now being lost to the tunnels...It's hardly the end of the world either way.

That was my thinking too. I love technology, but the fact that people need to constantly be in touch with others seems to be getting a little out of hand these days, not to mention the rudeness that answering and jabbering mindlessly on cellphones have already added to daily life.

But I take some good advice here and go for these noise-cancelling earphones as the best way to deal with the inevitable results of the demand for constant communication in our modern world.

Re: noise-canceling earphones

I have to say that I find this "solution", and the underlying way of looking at the world, to be quite a damaging force in society. Because you can somehow "solve" the problem for yourself, you can afford to ignore the wider problem and let it spread and grow in the world outside.

I see a direct analogy between this and the fundamentally antisocial nature of the worldview behind suburbia: "I don't have to worry about the world getting uglier and more polluted and highways and industry destroying the landscape if I can just have my own little chunk of an idyllic, pastoral dreamworld."

As we further mediate and control our own personal micro-worlds, our planet and our society are getting progressively more screwed up.

As we further mediate and control our own personal micro-worlds, our planet and our society are getting progressively more screwed up.

But aren't you seeking to apply your own personal micro-world, where it's offensive to talk on a cellphone in public, to the world at large?

I don't think it's a universal opinion that world is "getting progressively more screwed up", or at least I'm not sure I see cell-phone-talking as a harbinger of that.

People have been conversing loudly in public for tens of thousands of years. The cellphone conversation is just a new version of it - but really, its nothing new.

Last edited:
Re: noise-canceling earphones

I have to say that I find this "solution", and the underlying way of looking at the world, to be quite a damaging force in society. Because you can somehow "solve" the problem for yourself, you can afford to ignore the wider problem and let it spread and grow in the world outside.

I see a direct analogy between this and the fundamentally antisocial nature of the worldview behind suburbia: "I don't have to worry about the world getting uglier and more polluted and highways and industry destroying the landscape if I can just have my own little chunk of an idyllic, pastoral dreamworld."

It's not about isolating yourself completely from the problem. I sometimes listen to music, and when I do, I want to hear it clearly without damaging my hearing. But no one said to always listen to music to ignore the problem.

When I want to relax in my spare time, I might go to some resort for a vacation free of many responsibilities. My escape is but temporary, unlike suburban living, which is more permanent. A better comparison for your point would be if someone recommended to start driving to avoid hearing loud conversations and the like on the subway. That would be a permanent course of action which would allow the person to ignore the wider problem.

I wonder how loud people will have to talk into their phones to overpower the noise of the subway. It is going to be very annoying, as if those assholes who listen to msuic out loud aren't annoying enough already.

People have been conversing loudly in public for tens of thousands of years. The cellphone conversation is just a new version of it - but really, its nothing new.

Really, it is new, because cell phone conversations are one-sided, and more annoying and difficult to ignore because of that. Eavesdropping on them is also highly unsatisfying.

Really, it is new, because cell phone conversations are one-sided, and more annoying and difficult to ignore because of that. Eavesdropping on them is also highly unsatisfying.

Well, if you're the type that eavesdrops on everyone's conversations, and resents when you can't understand what they're saying (what's your opinion of people talking loudly in another language?) then I can see how you're bothered by this. If you're looking for a commute without the hassle of loud talkers, buy a car - they're wicked.

Also, can we merge this thread with the No Joy thread? Seems to fit well with that theme.

Last edited:
Well, if you're the type that eavesdrops on everyone's conversations, and resents when you can't understand what they're saying (what's your opinion of people talking loudly in another language?) then I can see how you're bothered by this. If you're looking for a commute without the hassle of loud talkers, buy a car - they're wicked.

Amazing...Now BobBob can basically copy and paste his previous reply. Except replace "Noise canceling earphones" with "buy a car".

Wasn't there a proposal to have quiet cars floating around a while back? I think designating one car (at least) per train as no cellphone/loud conversation/etc. areas would assuage many of the fears of tranquility lost in this thread.

And while they're at it, a similar program on GO would be welcomed.

Amazing...Now BobBob can basically copy and paste his previous reply. Except replace "Noise canceling earphones" with "buy a car".

I threw that part in for you! But also because cars are wicked:

_Bmw-Art-Car-1975-3.0-CSL-by-A-Calder-1-lg.jpg

Last edited:

Back