News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Subway cell phone coverage is good for a few people (business/paging etc.), but just feeds a neurosis that seems totally out of control. It seems that people now-a-days cannot stand to be disconnected from other "friends/family" for more than a few minutes. The lack of time spent just with their own thoughts - is leading to a rise in mental issues (IMHO). I got rid of my cell phone when I returned to Canada ( I no longer needed it since I was no longer on the road - or on call). Actually, most of the time - I just turn my phone off unless I am expecting a call - and most people I know know to send me a message to pick up the phone if needed.

Well, if you're the type that eavesdrops on everyone's conversations, and resents when you can't understand what they're saying (what's your opinion of people talking loudly in another language?) then I can see how you're bothered by this.

Experimental research has been published on the intrusiveness of one-sided conversations:

Hearing only one side of normal and mobile phone conversations

Conversations in a language you don't understand, on the other hand, are far easier to tune out.

Conversations in a language you don't understand, on the other hand, are far easier to tune out.

i don't know. have you ever heard a televangelist speak in tongues? "a hoko macka dacka loco coco moko da hubey nahana banana macu shooku madoca loka ..."

and what about those guys that walk the street and just ramble forever? "naharney blarney blooba narn! narn! narn!..."

and i dare anyone to try and tune this out.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpHLEm9-0bg

you can't!

Last edited:
Back on the note of noise isolating earphones in the subway. They're a good thing if you want to match the music to the architecture to enhance your experience of it. For the Spadina line, add some postmodern minimalist tunes, like perhaps Terry Riley's A Rainbow in Curved Air.

I like the idea of quiet cars, but I feel like those cars would probably get packed.

Back on the note of noise isolating earphones in the subway. They're a good thing if you want to match the music to the architecture to enhance your experience of it. For the Spadina line, add some postmodern minimalist tunes, like perhaps Terry Riley's A Rainbow in Curved Air.

metal_machine.jpg

That would be random at a Spadina or Dupont. It really depends on the station. Downsview being the late station from the 1990s doesn't work with either compositions.

i studied in seoul for about a year. people can use their cellphones down in the subway no problem, but nobody really did. It's weird, you think now because you can't that it would be so great to be able to use your cellphone on the subway, but when the day comes when you can, i don't think it will be such a great thing. I mean i dont really find a problem with people using cellphones on busses. what will make the subway any different?
embrace change and progress, dont obstruct it.

i studied in seoul for about a year. people can use their cellphones down in the subway no problem, but nobody really did. It's weird, you think now because you can't that it would be so great to be able to use your cellphone on the subway, but when the day comes when you can, i don't think it will be such a great thing. I mean i dont really find a problem with people using cellphones on busses. what will make the subway any different?
embrace change and progress, dont obstruct it.

I'm in Seoul right now and after taking the subway daily for the past few months I would have to disagree to an extent. At least half of all riders I see have their cell phones visible, on their laps or in their hands . Actual phone calls are pretty rare and usually limited to "hi, on my way, see you soon, bye" type conversations but almost every one else is constantly text messaging or watching tv (you can get live digital cable right on your cell phone here). All the texting and tv watching makes riding on the subway very quiet and almost spooky when you realize they are typically carrying 2-3 times the passenger load of your typical TTC car in non-peak hours. It also means far less creepy eye contact as most people are really into whatever they're doing on their cell phone. I admit I have become even more of a texting addict (at 20 won per sent text it's ridiculously cheap here - 1000 won = about $.90) and being able to use it on the subway is a god-send.

Cell phones can be used pretty much anywhere in Seoul, I've been 10 stories underground in a building with perfect reception as well as on elevators, in a mountain even.. it's just amazing how good the coverage is.

I find that people hardly talk on their phones in the busses, and even if they do, its really not intrusive. This is a great idea, and It'll really make the subway more appealing.

Thanks, but I'm keeping my mechanized loom.

Fine. Just don't bring it onto the subway and turn it on with all that clacking and weaving crap.
What ever happened to artisanal weaving in subways?
And the subway weaving guild?
Yours Truly,
Ned Ludd

Fine. Just don't bring it onto the subway and turn it on with all that clacking and weaving crap.
What ever happened to artisanal weaving in subways?
And the subway weaving guild?
Yours Truly,
Ned Ludd

The weaving guild still meets monthly at the Old Mill

Back