News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm going to post the pic when I transfer it onto my computer, but TD has a very large branch just at the corner of Broadway and Wall St.

Impressive!

There are five TD branches in Toronto that have the free coin machines (as a trial test) - can't remember where they all are, but one is at the Danforth and Coxwell branch. It is free to be used by clients and non-customers alike.

You could use your change as you get it.

Generally that's true unless you're working as a server, bartender, etc. I worked as a server several years ago and I still have jars filled with coins I have't used yet (and I'm a compulsive exact-change type of guy too).

Fair enough. Were I you, I'd roll the loonies and toonies and bring the rest to a coin sorter.

IMG_0873.jpg

Broadway just north of Columbus Circle

IMG_1069.jpg

Corner of Broadway and Wall St.

IMG_1637.jpg

Upper West Side in the Ansonia building on Broadway

IMG_2004.jpg

Chinatown at the foot of the Manhattan Bridge

^ Thanks for the pix Filip. I like the signage in image #2 but I think they should tone down the green a bit. A little too cartoony.

That's a really stupid law. TD Bank's been doing amazingly well in New York. Last time I was there, they were ubiquitous. They definitely seem like the best-run Canadian bank (thanks to Red Ed!) but I worry a bit about this "North American bank" business. That sounds like code for "American bank" to me, and I hope that TD's Canadian headquarters doesn't become like Bank of Montreal's Montreal headquarters. It's the kind of thing that only a Canadian bank would say. Though they do business all over the world, HSBC or Barclay's would still call themselves British banks. BNP is still a French bank.

That's a really stupid law. TD Bank's been doing amazingly well in New York. Last time I was there, they were ubiquitous. They definitely seem like the best-run Canadian bank (thanks to Red Ed!) but I worry a bit about this "North American bank" business. That sounds like code for "American bank" to me, and I hope that TD's Canadian headquarters doesn't become like Bank of Montreal's Montreal headquarters. It's the kind of thing that only a Canadian bank would say. Though they do business all over the world, HSBC or Barclay's would still call themselves British banks. BNP is still a French bank.

But if half TD's branches are in the United States, I think the moniker is appropriate.

Way less than half of HSBC's branches are in Britain. It's still a British bank. ABN AMRO was still Dutch even though most of its branches were outside the Netherlands.

Hopefully the idea of "North America's bank" will be a marketing slogan/mission statement, rather than a sign that they want to vacate Toronto/Canada.

After all, HSBC (Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation) markets itself as "The World's Local Bank"

I can't either. My main fear is that it will become a shell, like Bank of Montreal's "headquarters" in Montreal. That's what happened with Alcan, Seagram, and a number of other big Canadian companies.

Its a marketing thing. I can't see them moving the head office out of here.

Exactly. It's an attempt by a small regional bank (which it is in the U.S.) to convey its size and permanence without suggesting to sensitive American ears that it is foreign (and it sounds better than "we're one of the big banks up in Canada"). Similarly, HSBC hardly sells itself as British here in North America.

Of course there is a risk that as Canadian banks expand in the U.S., some of the decision-making and head office jobs will flow southward. I doubt it will happen -- they are a huge institution here, but a small fish down south.

I can't see the creator of the National Energy Program moving the executives south, but I'd be more concerned after he retires.

Back